Off-Topic Which Mobile Network?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by legend-ary, Tuesday 23rd Feb, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I have been with Three UK for over 4 years and have been quite happy with them. They were the cheapest to begin with and offered great deals but ever since they started getting network quality awards and #MakeItRight they have gone south in my books.. An S5 package I got for my wife in 2014 costs me £28pm but if I get the same again with S5 (which is 2 years old now) it will cost me £43!!!! So I am ready to jump ship.

I currently have a sim only plan with them and pay £12.90 for 200min, 5000txt and Unlimited Data however all good things must come to an end.

They just wrote to me that package price will become £20 from next month which I think is ridiculous. I don't need many minutes but use a lot of data (6-12GB) but can probably do with less .. never bothered with WiFi as there was no need. I am looking for alternate plans with other networks and was wondering if there is any particular one I should avoid. So far all fingers point to EE being the worse in terms of signals.

Interestingly I have heard GiffGaff gets bad connection in the same area where O2 gets perfect signals even though they are both the same.

What do you guys say?

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I'm with id, , sim only, 30 day contract .. 250 mins 5000 texts and 2GB data ,, pay 7 quid.

legend-ary likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

that is quite a good deal actually..

4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    i thought so... im cheap mate haha

5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Post-pay SIM-only prices vary considerably between 30-day and 12-month contract

In the last 15 years I've been with O2 (they were ok), Three (would never go near them again) and now with EE.

IMO EE are the best network, with most sites (Orange and T-mobile combined)

legend-ary likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

In the South-West I can get full signal in most places with EE but virtually nothing in the same places on Vodafone - not even 3G.

At home in Bucks - and the South East in general - Vodafone seems to have much better coverage in my experience.

Over the years I've been with Orange, O2, EE and Vodafone and have found Vodafone the best. Not always the cheapest, but good customer service, upgrades and signal.

legend-ary likes this.
  7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Out in the sticks we are always in a no signal area, I've stuck with vodafone and noticed last week I can now get 4G in my local!

legend-ary likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm with Giffgaff and have been for a good few years now and never had any major issues. Granted I don't use much calltime, text or even data so just use regular PayG, my dad also uses them but for work and buys one of the goodybags and works well for him, works as a taxi driver and travels around a lot and gets calls on his mobile, so I assume it works well for him too.

Only issue would be there data is now limited, used to be totally unlimited 2 years back before selfish idiots started abusing it and hogging the network and everyone else got punished as a result.

legend-ary likes this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I personally have zero complaints with Three with regards to customer service or internet speed. At my place I get about 45mbps down and 20 up but their new pricing is just ridiculous. Rather than paying £20 for same allowances that I have instead of £13 I might as well go into a 24 months contract and get a mid range phone for low £20s.

Shame I will lose Unlimited data as I have gotten used to having it for past 3 years...

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ Wait until you decide to port your number from Three to another network. Getting a PAC code from Three is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

After about half an hour of being pleasant, I then said that they were breaching OFCOM rules by not giving me a PAC code when requested, and even then I had to threaten that I was going to report Three to OFCOM, before finally being transferred to someone else, then someone else, then someone else .....it took me about an hour before I finally got a PAC code from them. Apparently this is standard Three practice, their "customer services" are nice until it comes to you wanting to leave.

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

On a related subject, now that I've moved I have a very variable mobile signal at home. Vodafone is 1-2 bars in some rooms but drops to nob service at random, EE is a little bit worse.

I'm considering a Vodafone 'Sure Signal' but read differing reviews as to how useful it is. Anybody with any experience they are willing to share?

Any other signal boost type products I should consider?

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When the phone is in "idle mode" (not in a call), using the number of "bars" to check signal strength on a 3G network is not very indicative. This is because 3G is a CDMA system, which has 2 issues regarding "bars" on the phone
    1. the actual cell coverage will vary depending on the number of phones in "dedicated mode" (in a call) in the area
    2. even when there are no phones in "dedicated mode" in the area, although the coverage potential is maximum, the cell broadcast is turned down, waiting for a call to be initiated.

For that reason, unlike 2G, you can only rely on the "bars" when your phone is in "dedicated mode", and even then it depends on where you are in relation to other phones that are also in "dedicated mode".

If you want to check coverage, try these two sites

open-signal which uses an app on phones to get actual coverage
    United Kingdom Cell Coverage Map - OpenSignal

Ofcom site-finder will show actual sites, although the data can be several years out of date in some areas for some networks
    Sitefinder Mobile Phone Base Station Database

On the subject of "boosters", if your house is in a poor coverage area on a network, contact the network amd they may consider sending you a "booster", which plugs into your broadband and provides a pico-cell at your house using your broadband as the transmission connection back to their network.