Engine & Gearbox which oil filter to fit?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Bondy, Thursday 12th Jul, 2012.

1. Bondy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can someone please recommend the best oil filter to fit on a 2001 Honda accord 2.0l VTEC? I have heard that Purolator is a good make? Thanks

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The best is Honda's own...if you contact our affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda and say you are an AOC member they should be able to do you a good price.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would advise for the genuine oil filter from you Honda dealers, you can get good prices from our resident Honda club affiliate Holdcroft Honda.

4. alvinaccord Member

bolton
    big difference from Cheapo to OEM, look at the picture see which you would rather have (borrowed this from another site hope thats ok?)

5. alvinaccord Member

bolton
    was no reference from me

6. Bondy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys.. Does HH take orders over phone and deliver or do you have to visit and have them fit it?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes bud they do take orders over the phone or email. Ringing will be the best option.

8. DjDemonD New Member Getting Started

There certainly appears to be quite a difference but this says nothing about the filtration characteristics of the filter or its reliability etc...

I have used Blueprint filters over many years on Japanese cars and have had no issues.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Does blueprint oil filter have a in built bypass valve ?

10. DjDemonD New Member Getting Started

I'd have to cut one open to tell you. However they are quite well regarded and used by a variety of Japanese car enthusiasts including Subaru owners, where I can tell you from personal experience racing subaru engined vehicles they operate well under fairly extreme conditions i.e. 280bhp upwards.

I appreciate genuine parts are always the safest option but cost and availability are nearly always factors. If a non-OEM part performs 90% as well as an OEM part for 50% of the cost then the choice is clear. Manufacturers want us to use genuine parts or risk dire consequences for obvious commercial reasons.

Last edited: Monday 16th Jul, 2012
  11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I hear you...and I thought and did exactly the same thing for several years.

I've used Blueprint in the past.

My own impressions were of thinner, flimsier looking paper elements in air and cabin filters, and other differences such as a wide foam ring in contact with the engine on the oil filter IIRC...I've had them stick on removal in the past.

I've changed my mind over time because it seems to me that Honda OEM parts are a LOT better not just marginally...you can literally see and feel the different built quality when you look at them and pick them up.

Also AOC members (once established for a while) get access to special offer prices on Honda parts from our affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda...and those prices are ATTRACTIVE.

It's a matter of personal choice but speaking for myself I like my car too much to risk possible damage or greater wear and tear just to save a couple of squid here and there on a second rate filter when I can have the best for very little more in the great scheme of things.

Bigger parts, the cost can be huge, but I'd choose second hand Honda every time over new/recon aftermarket with something like a driveshaft...I've learned that from unhappy past experience.

We're talking Honda here remember...No 1 in reliability charts year after year...that's down to using top quality parts.

But it's each to their own...so if Blueprint works for you then no doubt you'll stay as you are.

Last edited: Monday 16th Jul, 2012
  12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try fitting an aftermarket fuel filter to an ICTDI, you'll soon feel the difference between OEM and aftermarket.

Ichiban likes this.