Engine & Gearbox Which oil for 6th Generation Accord?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by IshikawaAccord, Sunday 6th Nov, 2011.

1. IshikawaAccord New Member Getting Started

UK
    Honda suggest you choose a viscosity depending on the ambient temperature where you live.

6th Gen F16B-F20B-H22A-F23Z Oil Viscosity Chart.

The best option in our view is 5W 40 oil.10W 40 would also be fine in the UK.5W 40 is thinner when cold so it flows better on startup. Most engine wear occurs when the engine is cold and warming up to normal operating temperature. Once warm both oils are the same thickness as one another.

2. carrind Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have been quoted various different oils by Honda dealers and online. I know that not all oils are equal, even if they have the same viscosity.
    Does anyone know the specification of the oil my 6th Generation Honda needs A3/B3 for example.
    My confusion comes from local dealer offering 10-40, another dealer stating 0-30 and online stating 5-40 but that oil only shows on the SAE chart for the 7th
    Gen cars, so totally confused. Want to buy shell ultra 5-40 but not listed for my car.

3. srad34 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good quality 10/40 Semi synth for mine :GoodJob:. I only use fully synth in my bikes.
    It gets changed every 12 months regardless of mileage too.

Last edited: Thursday 28th Mar, 2013
  4. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im running castrol magnatec 10-40w semi synthetic in mine, seems to work well....

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The oil specification as defined by Honda for the 6th Generation CG8 are

API Service Grade: SG, SH or SJ fuel-efficient oil SAE You can go for the more upto date oils on your car now.

6. accordboy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i use 5-40 castol edge fully synthetic

7. SiMo_AtR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I use 5w/30 fully in my Type-R changed every 6k

8. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    That's too thin. Standard spec is 5W-40 Fully synth. :Wink:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Honda oil recommendations changed recently.
    5W40 is no longer on the chart.

Attached Files:

10. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Mine was 2.5 years old when I bought it and the spec in the Hand book is 5W-40. Just because Honda don't quote it does not mean that they are correct in this instance. I have heard that some dealers have never seen, nor heard of an ATR... :Wink:

Plus more info on the proper owners forum.... :Grin:

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

As an owner (not really sure what a 'proper owner' is) for 25 years, I prefer to follow the recommendations they make.
    Up to you what you want to use. I can only state what Honda now say. :Hey:

12. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    It was 'proper' as in a dedicated Owners Forum for the ATR.

And the cars are between 16 and 12 year old now so why would Honda change the spec on the ATR's engine. They don't even list it any more, so what is in the owners manual is what you should be using as a starting point. If its using a bit more than the allowed 1L per 1000 miles then you can go thicker NOT thinner...

13. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    And looking at that chart they would only just got the CH1 on a very late, as in the last ones, on an 02. Sorry to say that their chart is wrong for H22A7 engine.....

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    toyracer69, "proper" is a pretty subjective term. We're all a part of the Honda scene, let's not go making digs at one another.

Honda's new recommendations are well researched, though the reasoning is likely more to do with emissions and economy in my eyes.

I'd run an ATR on 5w-40 personally, Fuchs or Mobil by preference.

15. Yamauzura Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

10w 40 seems to be a popular choice. Both of my Rover 800 used it my Pug 605 used it and the Jag and the Accord use 10w 40. Is it a happy medium in terms of thickness or something?

Harvey likes this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I use it as it was specified in the manual to do so and whilet it's also cheaper it seems to be the most commonly found, even supermarkets have it in. Nowadays with the ever increasing use of fully synthetic motor oil it's come down in price but still more expensive. Not to mention as well as thr price, alot of fully synthetic using cars seem to have an extended service interval. Not that I would really like to extend it as long as some, every year, without fail I do my own.

17. Yamauzura Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, it's handy as ASDA often sell of Castrol Magnatec 10w 40 quite reasonably. I don't bother with the posh oil though, as I don't go long enough in-between changes to benefit from it.

Harvey likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It's popular, becaus emost of those cars you listed are friom the same era and thats what the mainstream spec was in that day.

I switched over from Castrol 10/40 to Shell 5/40 full synthetic, seems to run a tad smoother, but no big differences.