General Which oldish commuter to buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brian62c, Thursday 5th Mar, 2015.

1. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Brian Haverfordwest
    Hello chaps and chapesses,
    Have a quandary and wonder what more experienced and knowledgeable Honda owners think.
    I do 60 miles a day to work and back, so 300 a week. I have a 2008 Clio diesel, which does the job quite economically but I have hated it almost from day one. It has cost a lot in various repairs and drives like a jelly on ICE. It's done 105k now.
    I want to change it for, you've guessed it, a HONDA, but which one?
    By the way, it needs to be cheap. Funds are tight at present. I'm looking at an older Jazz or an older Civic, no bigger than 1.4l.
    So, the older, pre-2001, Civics are my preference looks wise and I think they are simpler to maintain, which I like to do as much as possible. However, the Jazz is obviously a bit more economical and cheaper on tax. I am worried about rust issues on either.
    I would dearly love something with leather seats and do hanker after an auto but that may not be possible. Best of all would like an old Accord but that is just not affordable alongside our beloved CR-V.
    So, waddaya think?

kes likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I do about 400 miles a week, in my 2.4 Accord that costs me about £28 due to it being an LPG and I don't hang about either I have a fairly heavy right foot.

So I'd say look for an already converted Honda.

kes and brian62c like this.
  3. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow! Thanks for that SG. Call me naive but hadn't even considered that possibility! What about any unusual maintenance/MOT issues?

kes likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Service the car as usual. LPG service once a year, usually costs between £30-£50 (of course I do my own LPG servicing).
    MOT, if you present the car on LPG it's tested on LPG, if you present the car on petrol it's tested on petrol.

LPG burns cleaner than petrol, so as long as the LPG system is tuned correctly it will pass easier than on petrol.

kes likes this.
  5. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds blinkin' marvelous! Food for thought. Ta.

kes likes this.
  6. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What about a Civic IMA?

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The older Civic, the 6th Generation Rover sister models are nice cars, although getting on a bit, but they are frugal, reliable and cheap to run, that era of Honda do like to rust around the arches, and being quite old there might be some in other areas. My only concern would be a 1.4 will be a bit noisy and weedy for regular long motorway journeys, these cars are a bit heavy then your Clio's too., it might be worth finding out what the gearing is in 5th, because it might be high at 70mph, probably hover around 3k revs. Theres plenty around with autoboxes though, which are solid units, and the sport versions come iwth really nice half leather seats.

The Jazz is a bit more modern, but again I think it would be tiring driving motorway regularly in small weedy engine, but thats what test drives are for.

brian62c and kes like this.
  8. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It might be worth looking at a lease/pcp deal. I needed a commuter car last year and as I fix my own cars wanted something reliable. If you add all your fuel bills and maintenance over a year it might surprise you. I ended up getting a Nissan Leaf which including deposit and fees etc works out at £200, that's how much I was spending in fuel alone on my previous car (was a 3.2 petrol though). Usually I'm against brand new cars but you get odd deals which are really cheap and with low deposit , my leaf was £250 and Nissan put £2500 towards it! Obviously my savings will come from using electric but some newer deisel and petrols can be very fuel efficient too.

brian62c likes this.
  9. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting idea Kes, thanks. Money is a real issue here. The Clio is not worth more than about 1500 I reckon, as the cambelt hasn't been done and there's a slow leak in the air con, so it's not cold. Can't afford to put much to it and finance is not on the table at present, hence needing something old.

10. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your comprehensive input exec. Useful. My commute is half country roads, quarterr main A road and quarter dual carriageway. No motorways in this part of Wales!

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Which Civic where you looking at the MB Civic or the EK Civics? that later of which has lots of aftermarket support as well and is the kind commonly modified. The most common engine in those I think is a 1.5 which should be peppy enough. Where abouts do you motor btw @brian62c

brian62c likes this.
  12. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm in north Pembrokeshire and work in Carmarthen Gareth. Don't know which of those I am after - bit of a newby to them. The one I would like is the one that looks like a Rover 45 I think. The saloon-looking hatchback!
    Not looking to modify at all. Just a reliable, reasonably cheap commuting car with five doors and low running costs - and comfortable. Preferably in black. Not much to ask ☺

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is an MB Civic, refering to its chassis code, but its the one that looks like a Rover.
    Civic-MB6.

Then you have the EK Civic, the one most commonly modified, but are actually really food, fun little cars
    1999-honda-civic-hatchback.

and I'm guessing you use "The 55" alot as well mate?

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  14. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that Gareth. Yes it's definitely the MB I'm considering. Just prefer the quiet, traditional styling. Hadn't really considered the EK. More of a young man's car I feel.
    Also in the running is the later model, which is more like a Peugeot and has the gear lever mounted into the fascia. Just a bit concerned that the later I go, the more complicated and less diy-friendly they become. Disabuse me by all means!
    Sorry you lost me on The 55. Not well up on colloquial names I'm afraid.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The MB would be better for you, will be more practical and comfy, better insulated and sound proofed etc.

The 7th gens, the MPVish shape one is simple mechanics to be honest, not very complicated at all, so you should be fine with those, IMO the MB6 is a better car, has better suspension setup, nicer to drive, the MPV one is a bit bland in the standard form, also the 1.6 version I think has gearbox issues, but might be another model, but the 2.0 Type-S would make a very nice daily, but probably out of your budget range.

brian62c likes this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The 55 refers to the A55 north Wales expressway.

brian62c likes this.
  17. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah gotcha. No mate, very much south west Wales me. A40, A48, A470. And a lot of winding little single track country lanes ☺

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like a fun little commute to be fair, the 470 near bleinau Ffestiniog is nice little road then it picks up the a5 at betws y coed :Smile:

19. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Throwing a Honda Logo into the mix. Cheap economical and easy to find.

brian62c and Harvey like this.
  20. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You're way too far north mate. I go from south of Cardigan, via Narberth to Carmarthen. Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire. South west almost as far as you can go!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Funnily enough Scotty, Just been looking at them yesterday on Autotrader. Interesting, definitely. Just puzzling if they are up to my 300 miles plus per week commuting? Quite like their rarity but wonder if they are comfy enough. Still, used to do more in a Nissan Micra so ....

Harvey likes this.