Electrical & Lights which relay for indicators + Hazard?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by DieselPower, Sunday 29th Sep, 2013.

1. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

All my left indicators stopped working yesterday indicator + hazard. Right indicators + hazard work fine:

No clicking noise
    No indicator symbol on dash
    bulbs are ok
    fuse no16 in engine bay is fine

removed these 3 relays from the cabin fusebox Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda while the hazards were on.

I was hoping it would stop with relay removal but the right indicators kept on clicking. Any idea where the hell this relay is located?

Thanks

DP

- - - Updated - - -

Damn! I think its the integrated control unit. If someone can source a used one please let me know!

Someone else on here had the same issue http://hondakarma.com/threads/6466/.

I took the ICU (behind fuse box under steering) apart and plugged it back in & put my indicators on. I had my fingers on the 3 relays below. I could feel that the big relay is the problem. Going to try and get a used ICU from a breaker. Worst case will need to do what Tyler did and replace the relay. You can buy the relay from ebay G8ND-2 = G8ND-2-12VDC OMRON RELAY G8ND-2-12VDC | eBay . If I do buy it i'll probably get an auto electrician to do the soldering.

2013-09-29 10.28.01. 2013-09-29 10.28.16. 2013-09-29 10.34.03. 2013-09-29 10.34.50.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    tomo and Hf4n like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Search for "breaking FR-V" ads on ebay and other sites and ask the sellers if they have one.

3. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fitted the relay that I bought off flea bay , unfortunately it didn't work, my soldering skills are most likely to blame. In fact I managed to bugger up the central locking !!

Got a used ICU off ebay for £160 and everything works well so far.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good on you for sticking with it.

5. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

scrappy told me this is a common failure on some Hondas

6. Az3149 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi Guys did u sort your indicators out. Sorry but this is a common problem on FR-V. Im bit of an expert on this issue give me a shout if u need help

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You've been warned once already about self-promotion and "give me a shout" stuff. This is a community where people help each other - its evident you do not want to openly share your help but instead want people to contact you offline. Look at the first post in this thread to see how the OP has detailed their problem/fix - surely you can emulate that.

8. neil graham Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello I guys I have got the same fault no left side indicators. I think I have to remove the fusebox to get to the rear to unclip the integrated control unit. I have the trims off the 2 screws out holding the fuse box but how do you unclip the multiple connector blocks on the reverse to get the fuse box out? Getting to the rear of the fuse box is inaccessible?? Anyone got a second hand ICU??

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just caught up with this post
    Did you manage to sort this out @neil graham?

10. neil graham Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Manged to get one from a breaker. Trick to swapping it is disconnect all front fuse box cabling, remove to fusebox securing screws rotate fusebox as much as you can to access rear. Release the ICU righthand clip with flat blade screwdriver, then left out it pops if your lucky. Stuck it back together and 3rd rectanglar hole down from the top didn't have cable to go in it though I sketch the befor and it had one. U can't plug the cable in the wrong holes cause they are keyed. Anyway it seems to be fixed and stuff works.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well that's good news. Pleased you're sorted.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. stuart64 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

stuart64 uk
    Hey Guys

This has just happened to my FR-V.

The right indicator is stuck on, had to remove the fuse to stop it draining the battery.

I've looked for a indicator relay and pulled out the 3 relays on the fuse board but they don't do anything with the indicators.

I'm testing using the hazard lights, which clicks once when I turn them on, so I reckon the relay is working.

Where is the relay for indicators? I can hear but can;t see it.

Is it a in the ICU?

Thanks
    Stuart

14. neil graham Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 4 pics above are the icu and show the relays. Only 1 fuse is needed to be removed from the bonnet fusebox to islolated the flashers. The ICUs are hard to find secondhand, I've had to replace 2 ICUs

15. stuart64 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

stuart64 uk
    Yeh, I just a had a look under the interior fuse box and found the source of the sound inside the black icu box.

Getting the dash off is a problem in itself, which I haven;t done yet.

I'll look out for a icu on ebay or local scrapped FR-V's.

I've removed the flasher fuse.

What a place to put a relay!

thanks

16. stuart64 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

stuart64 uk
    Do all FR-Vs have the ICU or only certain years models?

17. neil graham Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What model is your? There is no doubt your ICU is duff I had exactly the same fault. Honda revised the icu part number now ending -02. If u buy new it's £300 cause u buy the fuse panel as well (rip off) + fitting £50. Typically scrappys send the whole fusebox plus ICU. If u find one 2nd hand Honda dealer will charge £50 to swap it and unless u buy a faulty secondhand one it will fix your fault.

18. stuart64 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

stuart64 uk
    I have a 2005 1.7 VTEC.

19. tomo New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom tomo Birmingham
    Hello everyone i'am the kid on the block ! Got the same issue after reading all the blog got the box off plug back in still not work looking for a second.hand now help pls

20. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆