General "Which" reliability survey 2012

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 18th May, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Last edited: Tuesday 21st May, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Blame the higher sales of the diesel Accord attributing to the worst in the group and a bit of Swindon propaganda too . HR-V well only came in petrol so no surprises there. Its funny as the Accord a few years was the MOST reliable car in the UK , so where has this massive swing come from.

HUK is cause of fear for this reversal IMHO..

For clarity petrol Honda wipe the floor when it come to reliability to the diesel car by a huge margin.

John Dickson likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was hoping you'd answer it the way you did :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is mere attempt to smear the Accord for Swindon built cars and we won't have it..

John Dickson likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Even so, with the Accord being the "worst" Honda in the survey it still came second in the family car category, beaten only by the Subaru Legacy (and no disgrace in that!).

Done 16k miles in my I-DTEC in its first year. 100% perfect reliability, still looks new when clean (bar a few stone chips on the front bumper), doing c45mpg (automatic) and I still thank my lucky stars every day that I bought it!:Happy:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Obviously not many Subaru diesel owners joining if they are near the top!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I wonder why the sample data for the survey has taken 2003-2008 (Accord) which rules out the I-DTEC from this survey? that puts the spot light on the I-CTDI engine solely. We all know the I-DTEC is 95% more ralible in all depatments when compared to the I-CTDI.

So the UK most relaibile car not become the most unlrealble car with in 2 years? really

why wasnt the current data used, Why has HR-V come into the top spot Search results for 'honda HR-V' - How Many Left? look at the decline rate of the HR-V

Anyone smell a rat.?Is it me or do you sense some chinese whispers in the background here to drive the nail into the coffin.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I also checked out some German Auto Recovery organisation who produce reliability charts based on their breakdown stats etc. Guess what makes are all at the top for maximum reliability.....Mercedes, BMW and Audi.

I like places such as carsurvey.org and parker's user reviews where you can see user opinions on used cars as opposed to editorial reviews based on brand new cars. I guess you'll always get those who'll never knock their own car, but I usually find you can see a strong pattern when there's a problem.

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I've always taken these things with a huge pinch of salt, so many variables. Always find it better to talk to rental companies, warranty companies etc, I find they give you some proper info. Luckily my next door neighbour works for a large insurance company and he handles vehicle failures. He'll tell you all day long that Honda's and Toyota's are by far the least troublesome beasts, however he does say Ford are very good as are the South Korean's. Vauxhall are a complete mess.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Very good advice. When my VW was (regularly) breaking down, I asked the recovery guys for their opinions based on what they were called out to.

Their view was clear - buy Japanese, especially Honda, Subaru or Toyota, as they didn't get called out to many. VW/Audi the worst of the German companies, with Mercedes the best.

11. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    There is no accounting for personal whims and likes. I had my Accord EX ICTDI Tourer for close on nine years. It was one of the first of the diesel models when I bought it in March 2004. This was my first Honda, having graduated from a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6. The Omega had been ultra reliable, but was quite thirsty. The Accord also proved to be ultra reliable, with the only problem being the motorised tailgate not long after I got it. Once this was eventually fixed, the car never had a thing wrong with it. The diesel engine was quiet and refined - for a diesel. There was some road noise, but overall it gave a refined ride and the seats were the most comfortable of any car that I have owned - with the exception of my present CR-V. I used to travel to France a couple of times a year, to my holiday home in the south west. It was almost 500 miles from Le Havre, and I did it in a day. Getting out at the other end I was quite fresh. It was a smooth and comfortable journey. Travelling home with the Tourer fully laden, I used to average about 53mpg.

I don't take much notice of most of the reviews as they tend not be objective, with the reviewers favouring certain makes and models.

12. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Honda 7th Generation Accord 100th In Reliability - JD Power Survey

I have just got my Auto Express mail and it has the results of the JD Power survey. Briefly, the 7th Generation Accord was one of the least reliable cars in the 2013 survey and came at 100 in the rankings. The 8th Generation came 35th, and the Mk lll CR-V was 31st.

I can't account for these figures as they go totally against the findings of other surveys, and certainly don't accord with Which?. Amazingly, Jaguars, Vauxhalls and Renaults are alleged to be amongst the most reliable. Well, I don't think this survey is reliable.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Re: Honda 7th Generation Accord 100th In Reliability - JD Power Survey

I'd believe it as much as I believe this: What Car Awards 2013

- - - Updated - - -

Inside the offices of WhatCar?......looks pretty normal to me.

View attachment 9533

Ichiban likes this.
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Merging these threads as they cover the same topic and will prevent post/replies duplication :Thumbup:

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've decided that any of these surveys that merge reliability based on tangible statistics with subjective questions (asking drivers to rate their cars out of 5 for things like braking - really?!) are pretty worthless. The inconsistencies between them prove the point - What Car? this month (which doesn't even list the Accord 8th Generation this year) has the Skoda Superb top, and Auto Express have it second...but in the What Car? 2012 reliability only survey the Superb was bottom of its class...:Unknown:

The 7th Generation Accord was placed 100th in Auto Express with them citing reliability issues, but it was second top in What Car? reliability only survey last year.

A great example from the What Car? survey this month, in the "supermini" category. The Citroen DS3 came top, but only scored 3/5 for reliability - it scored 5/5 in the other categories though, performance (subjective), service and running costs. 11% of those responding reported an engine warning light - nice...good job they were impressed with the service!

The Honda Jazz came second, but weirdly scored 5/5 for reliability, service and running costs with 4/5 for performance. So it came second but gained more stars overall (a rating of 82% vs 82.2% but no idea how that is calculated - makes me wonder what the point of the star rating system is?).

To quote Blackadder (badly)...these surveys are like a broken pencil. Pointless.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"Which" reliability survey 2012

It depends not only on the frequency of faults, but just as importantly (if not more so) how they are handled when something does go wrong. The accord is great, and generally extremely reliable, but god help you if you need an unavailable part ( Honda discontinue parts alarmingly early, too) they make a great product but don't support it. I've had many honda bikes, and will continue to, but this will be my last honda car. Swindon is dragging honda down right now.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Honda were top again in the What Car? 2013 reliability survey :Happy:

Nine years in a row...

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ideal time to announce a industry best warranty now 10 tens will do it.

19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^The JD Power survey is different as it asks owners for opinions on things like how good the braking is, performance etc. Madness:Aghast:!

The reliability survey is based on actual data for 50k cars, and is supplied by Warranty Direct based on real claims. 38 brands listed in total.

1. Honda (9th year in a row)
    2. Suzuki
    3= Hyundai & Subaru
    5 Toyota
    6 Lexus
    7 Chevrolet
    8 Mitsubishi
    9= Ford & Mazda

Bottom
    BMW/Volvo 26th equal
    Jaguar 29th
    Mercedes 30th
    Audi 31st
    Jeep 32nd
    Chrysler 33rd
    Ssangyong 34th
    Alfa Romeo 35th
    Porsche 36 (!!)
    Land Rover 37
    Bentley 38 (and last)

Survey detail and result in September 2013 issue of What Car?

Last edited: Thursday 15th Aug, 2013