Engine & Gearbox which remap??

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by chris2982, Tuesday 1st Sep, 2015.

?

which remap

1. celtic tuning

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. elite remaps

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. other

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Hi all,

I am almost ready to have the car remapped and am torn between 2 companies ..
    celtic tuning £295 - 193bhp
    elite remaps £270 - 185bhp
    or another I may not have seen?.?
    what's your thoughts ??.

cheers.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You should be able to get a custom remap specifically for your car rather than an off the shelf one plus a rolling road dyno before and after for £300 but if that's not convenient then I would go with Celtic Tuning.

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

that would be awesome, but cannot seem to find an one in the north east that does it.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I guess there's no point travelling further afield as fuel costs will negate any savings. It may be worth spending an extra £50 to get a dyno run to see the gains and also proves that it's been done successfully. I was more interested in the graphs to see the powerbands and give me a better idea of how to extract the best performance out of it but to be honest it probably wouldn't take long to figure it out from driving. You may find that you don't really notice anything at first, it took about 40+ miles of driving before it was noticable. Not sure why, perhaps the ECU was relearning or something (if it can actually do this) or maybe it was getting used to the new power curves etc.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Have you seen these guys: The Performance Centre Sunderland | ECU Remapping and DPF Removal

I've not looked up their reputation but they do before and after dyno. Your car isn't listed but it's the same engine as the Civic etc. You may have to do the custom remap though. You'll notice how even after the remap the power band drops higher up the revs. A custom remap should be able eliminate this and keep the power going up which makes a good difference as it means you aren't wasting 1,000+ worth of RPM at the top end as in stock and standard maps the car prett much gives up at 3,500rpm and you have to change gear. With a custom remap you can keep going to redline and although your torque is dropping and you won't be increasing the acceleration, you are still increasing your power and therefore maintaining the acceleration.

Obviously your clutch has to be in good order but so long as you don't try and increase the torque beyond what it can handle then you should be fine. I don't know about the FR-V but with the CR-V it was generally advised not to go above 400Nm of torque. It's often said that a remap will wear a clutch out super fast, but this is only the case if you've remapped to silly torque levels (it will slip anyway) or/and if you are hammering it all the time. If you only put your foot down when necessary then you are only putting a little more pressure on the clutch during those times otherwise it's just driving as normal. Obviously the desire to boot it a lot more will be there after getting the remap, pretty normal really! But after a while you'll probably settle back to your regular style of driving as you notice going to the petrol station more often from enjoying all that extra lovely torque! lol It's also worth pointing out that my economy did increase a fair few MPG's when driving normally.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

never heard of them before, ,, pricing seems competitive plus love the before and after tests. .

if going for the custom map would it be worth doing it after I get a exhaust made or would it not make any difference.
    - - - Updated - - -
    and thanks for your input :Smile:

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    There are a lot of remapped diesels on the Civinfo forum, Celtic and Elite are equally rated. The only problem with Celtic is that they are in Cornwall and don't travel. Elite can often meet you somewhere convenient. Some interesting dyno plots in this thread... Remap The Comprehensive 2.2 CDTi Dyno Comparison Thread - Civinfo

7. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

both elite and celtic have "dealrs" local to me ish . . so wouldn't need to travel but I do like the idea of the dyno from the one @ArcticFire linked to..
    i have just sent them a message regarding my car.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'd be very suspicious of a dyno result obtained by the tuner.

Torque from a diesel will always fall off dramatically as the revs rise, and unfortunately you'll never reach the 'magic' 5252 RPM crossover point where BHP soars on a petrol engine as the product of revs X torque output really begins to pile up the BHP.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Probably best after the exhaust, depends on the exhaust I guess? Can anyone else help here?

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Have you posted this in the wrong thread?:Laughing:

11. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

nope, , was also wondering if it would be better doing remap before or after custom exhaust..

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Thought my advancing age was kicking in there for a minute! Lol

Zebster likes this.
  13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Best to do the exhaust first as it will affect the map if you're having a custom map and not a plug and play map. When doing the bikes on the dyno I was always told to let the engine breathe the best it can, i.e., free flow filter and performance exhaust, then map. Different fr diesels I believe??
    Celtic do travel, they traveled to me in Brum as the have a guy who travels round doing their plug and play map. I wasn't impressed and had it set back to standard, as the guy wasn't prepared for me to take the car for a longer than round the block drive to see if I was happy or not. I felt smoother but I was not convinced in the claimed increase in power and for £300 I wanted to be happy I was getting my monies worth. Lots of happy customers with Celtic though, just me :-/

14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Well I have received an email back from the one local ish to me. . 249 quid looking at 30 to 40 BHP increase including before and after dyno test. . Seems very good to me but as @Bones126 says,, it may be worth doing exhaust first.

15. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can map the car yourself. Get celtic to send you the file and just buy a cable and do it on your drive. Much cheaper. That's what I did. The MPG saving are worth it alone.

16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

I wouldn't even know where to start ..
    out of curiosity how much did you get just the file for??

17. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi @kes , I take it the lead just plugs into where you attach you ODB reader for fault reading? Is there any specific software you need and what lead is required please?

Cheers
    Dave

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .

But do check that's the right one for your exact model!

Bones126 likes this.
  19. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice one @Zebster , by right model I take it you mean ECU model?

20. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Good find.
    @kes ,, how about the software, , what did it set you back.... and the process itself, was it easy enough to do??