General Which tyres should I go for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Thursday 29th May, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had a problem with my front tyres for a while now, they always slip when I drive in the rain. Small skids if I go around a roundabout a bit hard etc. I never really thought much about it, just thought slow down. Yesterday at 4am I was thrashing it after leaving the library and the road was a little wet but nothing major seeing it rained at midnight roughly - anyway the tyres started losing traction and skidding again whenever I did sharp turns and the like. Got home and looked through all the receipts and found out that the fronts costs £35 incl VAT each, I also searched for them on Tyrereview which just confirmed my beliefs.

Event GL699 | the Event GL699 reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

Anyway I've got to change them because its a pretty big risk if the road surface is wet and I'm feeling spirited. Budget is around £70 per tyre but I can go for a bit more if its a must. My top priority is grip in all conditions and hence reduced braking distance. I don't care about MPG, wear levels, road noise (anything will be better than those budget tyres) etc.

Choices I have at the moment are:
    Yokohama - bluEarth or C drive
    Dunlop - Sport Bluresponse or SP Sport FastResponse
    Goodyear - Efficientgrip or efficientgrip performance or eagle NCT5
    Continental + Pirelli too, so many versions of those

What would you guys go for?

Thanks for reading.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh and I should reiterate - when I say skid, I just mean I feel no control of the front tyres and keeping straight after turning is a bit of a chore. Back doesn't kick out or anything like that (they're budget tyres too but I've seen nothing wrong as of yet)

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    All the above are good choices as you;d expect from premium tyre brands.

What you've got to do is decide what factors are important to you, for example do you prefer t hard wearing tyres, if so you may have to put up with a bit more noise or a bit less grip than tyres that wear quicker.

I've got of Michelin Premacy 3s, they have great grip in all conditions but wear out quick (around 15K I think). So next time I will look for something more longer lasting. I may consider the Yokos.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's a trait of budget tyres mate.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Grip first and foremost -I'm doing 5k a year with loud music usually so I don't care about wear or road noise bud.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I should have known, dad was perfectly happy with the tyres but he drives like your stereotypical old fart Honda driver so that's why he probably didn't notice.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I recall reading that but neither type of tyre is available for my 15 inch wheels. I already ruled out Michelin as its just the energy saver range which costs 85 quid, so looks like Goodyear or Continental for me.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

One word of caution.
    Better grip doesn't mean infinite grip.
    If you push it too far and skid, you'll be moving considerably faster than your old budgets and may not come out unscathed.
    However, ditching the budgets has got to be better!

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I've learnt my lesson on the dry with grip and speed - went right too quickly on a roundabout and my bum ended up on the centre console :Blushing: (wasn't wearing a seatbelt either). That was around a year ago but I'll never forget that, fortunately nobody was ahead of me!

The main reason for the tyres is due to the constant loss of traction in the wet, I was just using last night as an example.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Know what you mean.
    Had the odd rental where the drive wheels would spin rather than let me pull away - not fun :Angry:

12. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Always been a fan of Yoko's could be the name but it sounds exotic and not the usual run of the mill branding name , think any half decent brand would be a upgrade to the ones you have on now.
    Also depends on the budget you have in mind to spend , what size tyres you needing? My vote goes to Yoko's , have you tried looking for the Blue earth AE-01 those are pretty decent and very good value for money but need to be careful as there are a manufactures recall on some batches Recall / Yokohama - Yokohama Europe , this can work in your favor as you pick up a good deal on ebay even in the worst scenario can have them replaced free of charge.

13. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    I've used Hankooks Ventus V12's on the S2000 and they have been really good, can be a bit lairy in the winter until they are warm.

For the 6th Generation Accord Coupe I fitted 4 Bridgestone A001 all season tyres, I've been really impressed with them, they are grippy and reasonably quiet as well, rated for winter time as well with plenty of Sipes to give good grip in poor weather, I paid £85 per corner for 205/55/R16s.

Bridgestone A001 | the Bridgestone A001 reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

PeteMM and DeviateDefiant like this.
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I was having a bit of a debate in the Mazda forums as I have a different view point being that I like to have the best tyre for the worst conditions, rather than the best tyre for the best conditions. This is why I stuck 4 Yokohama winter tyres on but as sods law would have it the winter we just had was mild! lol

When I change I'll be sticking Rain Sports 3 on as the UK is predominantly a wet country and the Rain Sport 2's which are on the Accord are fantastic in the wet. :Smile:

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Before you take that plunge mate I'd echo what @Honey Badger said about Bridgestone A001s, I've heard great things about them from a lot of different people. Also, reading through old receipts my '07 had them out of the showroom.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a darn sight cheaper plus its got excellent reviews. Does it matter that its an all season tyre as opposed to a summer one?

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It means you'll do better in the winter :Laughing: In general it's going to cater more for grip than fuel economy, that's personally what I'd go for.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  19. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    I'm a Bridgestone and Avon follower. I had Avons on my mad Twin Turbo Lexus and it gripped tight. Tyres will always play a safety role and are a personal decision. Try the internet for the best deals.

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah I've got good prices for both tyres. Like DD all I care about is grip and reducing braking distance.