Tyres & Wheels Which winter tyres?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by MikeM-271048, Friday 31st Jul, 2015.

1. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    My MY15 EX Navi ADAS Sensing AT 4WD (1.6 Dtec) is due for delivery today week. In our part of Italy it is compulsory to have winter tyres from November to March, and I am wondering what other CR-V users are choosing for their vehicle. My winters tend to last three seasons, so I am not too worried about buying the least expensive option; more interested in road holding and stopping.

And well done Honda! When we put in the order, the expected delivery wasn't until October.

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I've done very well with my pirrelli sotto zero ,, maybe worth a look into.

3. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Thanks! And support home industries too :Smile:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Michelin Alpin 5 get my vote, renowned for being one of the best winter tyres you can buy :Thumbup:

5. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Thanks, but it looks from the Michelin sites in UK and France as though the Alpin 5 is not available in the R18 size. If my dealer can find me a set of 17inch rims, though ...

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Michelin Alpin LA2 are available in 225/60, assuming that's your size?

7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I really liked my set of Dunlop SP Winter Response 2, I didn't get to drive them in deep snow <1" but the cold wet/frost grip was excellent and didn't effect fuel economy greatly and weren't as noisy as some I've owned.

8. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Thanks JD and DD!

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

10. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Don't get me wrong, they were ok - but reading other reviews and comments and comparing those with my experience of the Vredesteins, I think there are better choices.

12. RTI Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Moldova, Republic Of RTI Chisinau
    Also take a look at the Bridgestone DMV-2. (I had the DMV-1, they were great in snow and good on ICE)

13. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi Guys, I have a CR-V I-DTEC EX. I had Verdestein Aquatrak 3's on the front and Wintraks on the back of my Volvo xc60, and they were great. Have now bought a set of 17" wheels and got them ready for winter fit this back end. We live in Aberdeen area so see plenty of the white stuff.

14. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Thanks! Couldn't get Vredesteins here on schedule, so ordered Continental WinterContact TS 830p.

15. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi, had Continental Cross Contacts on my Volvo XC60, not impressed, hard side wall in lower temp ranges.

16. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Hmm, Cross Contacts are all season, whereas WinterContacts are (no news here) specially designed for winter. They will come off mid-late March, and we'll go back to the Michelin Latitude Sports the CR-V came on.

17. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Shortly after buying the CR-V with its 19" Orion wheels and semi-low profile tyres which I have to say (as mentioned on here before) I'm not a great lover of, I decided to buy myself a set of winter rims and tyres.

I therefore bought a set if 17" Dezent RE Dark alloys together with a set of Nokian WR SUV 3 winters. I've. Never bothered with winter tyres before and to be honest, I don't think I really need them here in Essex but I'm hoping the 17", 60 profile, tyres will give a better ride (not that the ride with the 19s is a bad as I thought it might be).

I bought the new set up after a fair bit of research and the Nokians appear to be highly thought of and have good reviews, I suppose time will tell. I'll report back in the New Year when I've had some experience with them.

By the way, the winter set up gives me within 0.2% of the rolling ratio of the original set up so no problems with the speedo reading.

Keith

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm now going to get my Winter tyres, to go on my original set of 18" alloys.

The size is a bit of an odd one, with limited choices.

From the reviews I've seen I'm likely to go with either Toyo Snowprox S953 (£106); Yokohama W-Drive XL(£104); or Bridgestone Blizzak LM80 (£125).

Thoughts on those choices?

The Toyo is actually the best reviewed and the cheapest, albeit not by much.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  19. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    honda equips CR-V with 225 65/R17 or 225 60/r18

Why did you get a 60 profile?? on a 17" rim?? 65% is better and the one recommended by Honda. (odometer problem mostly but also quality of ride - less comfortable when off-road, on speed bumps/humps and on potholes), lower ground clearance etc....

I am thinking of getting a profile 65% on my 225/60/R18 (so it becomes a 225/65/R18 if I can find an offer) but you do the reverse??? :Smile: stop laughing I am still thinking about it.
    In any case you have to inform insurance of tyres being out of spec same as I will do in case I do the 65% profile upgrade.

Which size rim did you get?? 7", 7.5" or 8"? Honda is using a 7", though I would have preferred that Honda was using the 7.5". Then Honda would have an option for a 235mm wide tyre.
    Dezent RE Dark alloys
    17 x 7.0"5 Stud OnlyFrom £445.00No Vehicle Selected
    17 x 7.5"5 Stud OnlyFrom £445.00No Vehicle Selected
    17 x 8.0"5 Stud OnlyFrom £445.00No Vehicle Selected

Last edited: Tuesday 11th Oct, 2016
  20. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    May be worth looking into getting an extra set of smaller alloys or even steels,, that way the tyres are much cheaper to buy, no risk of your 18s getting into the kerbs if it does slip and also no need to pay for tyres to get swapped twice a year.

I put my winters onto my original alloys and got a set of 18s for the summer.

PanayiotisPal and Zebster like this.