Engine & Gearbox Whining alternator, Accord 2.0 petrol, please help

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by jcalvarez, Monday 2nd Feb, 2015.

1. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Jose Dunfermline
    I drove to Glasgow last Sunday, parked the car, everything great. When I came back after a couple of hours, started the engine, there was a loud whine coming from the engine bay, in sync with the revs, and the red battery light in the dashboard on. Opened the bonnet, the sound was comming from the alternator. Thought it was a mechanical problem, but then disconnected the alternator plug (the plastic one with 4 pins), the whine disappeared and the dashboard lighe went off. Put it back, the whine and light are back, meaning it is an electrical issue, not a mechanical one.

Has anybody experienced something similar? Many thanks in advance for your help!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will need to get looked at it , it would seem your alternator has failed. Diesels cars tend to blow up their alternator mores than petrol ones.

3. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you, booked tomorrow with Western Honda in Dunfermline, fingers crossed

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Be wary that alternators cost a pretty penny direct from Honda, and you can often source the exact same one outside the Honda supply chain for a significant amount cheaper. I would shove a multimeter across the battery yourself first and run some basic tests as outlined here in my guide for the 7th Generation alternator replacement.

Honda are definitely the right people for the job, however if you can confirm the alternator is dead ahead of time, and source one yourself, you'll pay a lot less overall just paying Honda for the labour.

EDIT: Also if it's just the bearing gone, you can have an alternator repaired.

5. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the advice, very useful. I used a multimeter to check the voltage with the engine running, it was around 11.36v, which tells me the battery is not being charged. I also don't thing the issue is the bearings, because when I remove the 4 pin plug the whine disappears. I'm afraid I will get screwed with the price, but I need the car really quick. How much cost a new alternator from Honda?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's definitely not charging then, and with the connector removed it's definitely not the bearing either :Smile:

The part number is 31100-RZP-G01, also used on the 3rd Generation CR-V 2.0, and the list price for it £502.40 - which is what most dealers will charge, our club dealer @Holdcroft Honda would be able to beat this, but you haven't quite got enough posts yet to qualify for club discount.

The alternator is made by Denso like many other K/R-Series Hondas, and generally ultra-reliable, their part number is 104210-5370.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding much in terms of alternate supplies for that particular model. EuroCarParts sell a Lucas model for £450, which is pretty ridiculous.

If you want to save cash the alternatives I can find are, this unknown generic alternator for €270 from Germany which I wouldn't recommend:

...or finding a used alternator from a breaker. Given the general reliable of the Denso units, this is the solution I'd be most tempted by if cash were a concern. I just swapped a 12 year old alternator from my '03 onto my '07.

You could also have your alternator inspected and repaired, though that probably requires more time off the road than just being able to swap in another. You also don't know quite what's up with it, and what's required to fix it.

7. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hope this gives you more options

£65 free postage & packing

£109.99 + £11.99 p&p

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

With the price differences, I'm sure used or reconditioned is tempting.

9. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Decided to bite the bullet, left the car at Honda. The battery was almost dead when I arrived, dashboard black, no power steering, no lights, but the engine still running. It was not fun going through 4 roundabouts in morning traffic. Never again! Will keep updated on the progress

Thank you everybody for your help. I guess next time I will be better prepared and try to do DIY instead of using the main dealer and save a bunch.

Question, is the rectifier built-in in the alternator?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes, there is, the alternator outputs DC voltage.

11. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you!

12. jcalvarez Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The bill was £495 inc vat & labour. Ouch.

13. nemiers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland
    Here`s troubleshooting mine, maybe it helps someone:

Paid 200eur, replaced myself with some other brand.
    In my case I believe front bearing was gone, alternator started to drop voltage after heating up.
    Didnt have time to fix mine, next day had to go for over 500km trip :sweating: