General Whiplash Rating for the 7th & 8th Generation Accord by Thatcham Research

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 7th Jan, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was just researching more about Insurance group and found this whiplash rating.

According to Thatcham Research the 7th Generation Facelift Cars have a POOR rating.

7th gen Tourer.

Now the 8th Generation which is one group lower and surprising thing is the 7th Generation is higher than my 8th Generation equipped with ADAS!!

8th gen Tourer.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its time to get shot of the 7th Generation me thinks.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The main reason why accidents which result in whiplash injuries are so bad is because people never adjust their head rest to the correct position. They adjust all the other seat options to make it comfortable to drive the car and never give any consideration to adjusting their head rest.

How many peoples head rests are in the 'default' position, i.e. pushed as far down as possible, because they've never moved it. In the even of a rear end shunt your head will roll back and up over the top of the head rest offering no support and maximising the injury.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On the flip side the unscrupulous ones can use this as further evidence to claim more money if you ever get into an accident :Blink:

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do 7th Gens have active head restraints? I can't remember

I always make sure the head restraint is properly adjusted as I've had first hand experience of how effective a correctly adjusted head restraint is in preventing serious injury.

When my 8th Generation was involved in a front end impact at 50 MPH (some berk in a Transit turned right into a side road without prior warning right in front of me when I had right of way) My correctly adjusted head restraint ensured my injuries were kept to a minimum. Even with Advanced Compatibility Engineering body structure, SRS and seatbelt pre-tensioners you still get bounced around quite a bit.

8th Generation Active Head restraints would make a massive difference too but even incorrectly adjusted Active Head Restraints will not help you - they will do more harm than good just as a badly positioned normal head restraint will.

Like Matt says a poorly-adjusted head restraint just serves as a pivot in the event of a rear end shunt or if you have an accident that results in a sudden and rapid deceleration you get thrown forward and then back in the seat and a badly adjusted head restraint serves as a pivot to amplify the forces on your neck and upper-spinal column.

The upshot of taking this precaution meant that, yes I was in discomfort with whiplash for a few weeks afterwards, I wasn't seriously injured and was only off work sick for a week.

Please everyone ensure your head restraints are always correctly adjusted. I sincerely hope no one ever does, but you never know when you may have to rely on them.

Last edited: Tuesday 7th Jan, 2014
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is true the head rest should be higher from the top of ears, but Thatcham research would have done these whiplash test with best practices.