Engine & Gearbox Whirring noise as engine warms up

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Rabbitomatic, Monday 3rd Oct, 2016.

1. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Rabbitoma Milton Keynes
    So I've had the car for about 3 years now. Just under a year after I bought it as the weather was getting colder it started making a whirring noise (a bit like the sound of reversing a car at speed if you know what I mean?). The noise doesn't happen when you first start the car up, but as it is warming up as you drive it, and stops a short while after the engine is up to temperature. The noise is worse in cold weather, and more accentuated as you go around a corner. It doesn't make it unless the car is moving, but stops making the noise when you put the car into neutral and coast along. It's only really audible up until about 40mph.

I took it to the Honda dealer I bought it from as soon as it started making the noise. They couldn't hear anything. I took it in a further 2 times over a 3 month period, even leaving it with an engineer to drive every day for a week. Each time it came back as there is nothing wrong with it!

It stopped making the noise in the warmer weather. Next winter it started again. The noise was no worse for a year of driving it. I asked an independent garage to listen out for the noise whilst it was in for a service. They could hear the noise, but couldn't diagnose.

The cold weather is coming in again, and the noise is going to start irritating me again! Any ideas what it could be, and if it could be a simple fix, or something more serious?

I have a 2.2 CDTI.

I've searched on the web many times watched a lot of Youtube videos, but alas none are the same problem as mine!

2. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Could i be something to do with your heating as you would have the heating on during the winter?

3. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

I've turned everything off to listen to the noise better before. Still does the same thing. Or do you mean there is a heater to warm the block up like you get on Scandinavian cars?

4. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Its could be possability

5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Possibly power steering? Fluid being more dense in the cold??

DieselPower and DrSam like this.
  6. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

That's a good shout, not something I'd considered. Would explain the increase in noise when going around corners. Who would that fit in with explaining the noise going away when coasting the car along in neutral?

7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Revs have dropped when coating in neutral so less pressure / revs on pump possibly? if the noise increases during cornering then that would be loading the pump.

Other than that, it could be transmission oil, the cold thickens the oil until warmed up. may be worth checking levels of both and possibly replacing them with recomended grade.

8. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

Thanks, I'l check both and report back if it cures it!

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Does the frequency of the noise relate to engine speed or road speed?

10. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

From memory I'm 90% certain the frequency increases and it gets noisier as engine speed increases, and when you change up a gear it would get quieter and noise start building again as you accelerate.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Loose air filter, manifold heat shield resonating, worn turbo shaft bearing?

Rabbitomatic likes this.
  12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    A whine from main shaft bearings will increase in frequency/noise in relation to engine speed. A whine from countershaft bearings will increase/change in frequency in relation to speed.

13. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

Thanks Beefy. Changing the main shaft bearings is beyond my DIY skillset, but have a good local garage who should be able to help!

Anyone had a good experience with the replacement bearing kits, or will I be better off replacing the whole shaft?

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I wouldn't rush into commissioning expensive work as a result of a few forum suggestions made by people who haven't even heard the noise (you've not even given us a vidclip)!

This needs to be properly diagnosed by a knowledgeable mechanic who can accurately analyse the source of the problem by driving around and trying different things while listening to changes in the noise.

15. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

LOL, not commissioning any work off the back of it yet. Getting a list of suggestions together before talking to the garage. If it is shaft bearings, be good to know whether a bearing kit would work well.

I've taken it to the dealer several times and they've not been able to hear it, let along diagnose it. Hence me trying to look into what it could be to give the local garage somewhere to start. I did take a few video clips, but they don't seem to pick up the sound very well annoyingly.

Zebster likes this.
  16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Seconding zebster. These are all assumptions on a forum. You need a garage to give you this sort of diagnosis. Gearbox over halls are expensive and shouldn't be done on a whim or suggestion on a website. I've never had trouble with gearbox bearings on your model Honda for a start.

Zebster likes this.
  17. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I'd say the whine is gearbox.
    The cheapest route is to change the fluid. Easiest and can resolve so many issues.

Saw an episode of wheeler dealers where this was the noise / resolve

Rabbitomatic and DrSam like this.
  18. Rabbitomatic New Member Getting Started

Changed it at the last service. Wish it had cured it LOL.

19. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Release bearing.

20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    If it was it would go away on clutch in which is not the case