Engine & Gearbox Whistling engine sound under acceleration

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Amused, Friday 10th May, 2013.

1. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 2009 Accord 2.0 petrol with MT and there is some sort of a whistling/whining noise (like a turbo or a supercharger) coming from the engine bay when I press the gas pedal in 1st and 2nd gear. The noise seems to change/disappear when I press the clutch to change gear, but it reappears when I hit the gas.

My local dealer says everything is fine with the engine and that I should live with the sound. I went for a second opinion and the answer was similar. They all say 'it's the way it is'.

Since I bought the car secondhand, I don't know whether the sound has been present from the start.

Opinions?

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    it stops when you depress the clutch pedal? could be transmition related but bepending on the noise and how/when it happens it may well be considdered normal. without listening to the noise anyone on here can only speculate on what it may be and prob scare you into thinking it is somthing worse than it realy is. do you have to strain to hear it? or is it very loud?

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Without being able to hear the sound, its difficult to assess.

Does it still make such a sound when the car is warmed up etc?

4. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's not that loud, but when the stereo is off and/or the windows down it can clearly be heard. I will try to make a recording of the sound and post it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Warm or cold, it's always present.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you checked all pipes/tubing in case something has split, thus letting air out & causing the whine?

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Exhaust leak?

7. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nope, the check done by the dealer was not very thorough, but I will do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps, this hasn't been checked. Thanks for the advice, I will ask my dealer to check

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Let us know what you find out once you have checked :Thumbup:

9. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will report back soon...

I have also looked at some US Acura TSX forums, many people have reported this strange noise, and no definitive solution has been found... Some say it is inherent to the engine...

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That could well be the case. So long as the car runs fine, then maybe you do not have to worry??

11. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok, yesterday I went to an independent garage that service Hondas to get the noise checked.

First they checked the serpentine belt tensioner pulley (removed it and put a new one) - no change.

Then they used a stethoscope to try and locate where the whistle is coming from, and for now they have 2 suspects: A/C compressor clutch/pulley and water pump bearing.

Does this make any sense?

Can anybody help me out with these parts (2009 left hand drive Accord Elegance)?

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Did they check to see if it made the noise while the serpentine belt was removed? That would isolate it down to one of the pulleys at least.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, they checked it while the serpentine belt was removed. However, I wonder how the AC compressor pulley can produce noise when the AC is switched off? Can it?

14. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Yes the pulley and AC compressor will still be turning, just not under load.

15. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cool, thanx. They I will proceed with that issue first, and if it doesn't fix the problem, I will jave to deal with the water pump. Will report back.

16. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I found this TSB from HONDA USA. It applies to 2008 and 2009 US Accord. There is even an audio clip on the first page, and the sound is exactly as on my car.

Regarding the 8th Generation CU1 oil pump, is there a revised part number perhaps? What cost am I looking at if I decide to try this?

Attached Files:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nick

There is no similar TSB for the 8th Generation in Europe you will find it hard to prove without reasonable doubt your symptoms are the same as per the TSX bulletin. You will need to engage the dealers and dealer TESS to get to the bottom of this.

Remember the TSX VINs and 8th Generation EU spec Accord are different they may share the same engine but Honda WILL not class them as the same vehicle despiste they look the same..

18. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi CJ, yes, I am aware of that.

The TSB I uploaded is not for the Acura TSX, it's for the Americal Accord (2008 and 2009 models). What is curious is that my car is the same age.

There is almost an identical TSB for the CR-V. This appears to be a common problem for Hondas.

I also found some OZ and US forum threads describing the same problem and same solution.

I am aware I will need to pay this, but the question is where do I get the oil pump without having to pay 400 euros for it.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why are you thinking of replacing it on your own back and money.... get the dealer get Honda to investigate it.. you need to get slightly assertive (not aggressive) to get the desired result then you get some traction out of them

20. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, my car is out of warranty and there's no way I will get "good will" over here... Will have to spit it out of my pocket, or learn to live with the whining until I sell the car.