Intake System Whistling throttle body?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by trent900, Tuesday 8th Jul, 2014.

1. trent900 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I joined this forum a couple of years back with an undiagnosed idling / power cutback problem on an '05 I-CTDI estate. Well despite a great deal of help from accordownersclub (as it was then) that problem was never solved. I spent £1000 on new injectors and ended up auctioning the car for half what I paid.

So I swore never to buy another Accord, or Honda, or diesel. But they are nice cars so here I am having just bought another one. 2.0 VTEC this time, 2007. I've had it 48 hours. A noise is present now that wasn't on the test drive (it was serviced in between test and collection)...I may be officially the unluckiest Honda owner ever.

It is a very, very high pitched whistle. It is just detectable in the cabin, sort of intermittent, but only goes for a second or two at a time - could just be air movements making it too quiet for a moment. It is particularly noticeable if you put your head to the centre console. It has a constant pitch, regardless of throttle. It might go away under hard acceleration...or it might just be that other noises swamp it.

It's more obvious with the bonnet up. I've been back to the dealer, and we all agreed we could hear it, and it seemed to be coming from the throttle body. It sticks around for a few seconds after the engine is switched off, sometimes blips on and off, then stops.

The dealer sent me to his tame garage to see if there was a problem. The mechanic doesn't have good enough ears to detect it inside the cabin but could hear the noise (apparently) coming from the throttle body. He said 'that's just the throttle body motor sorting itself out...it's normal...that's modern cars mate all electrical'. To be fair, the noise does sound like a very small motor constantly running at several thousand RPM.

So my question is, is it really normal to be able to hear in the cabin, however faintly, a cripplingly annoying constant whistle/whine such as dogs and bats might enjoy, coming from the throttle body?

Thanks in advance,

Trent900

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Trent there is nothing to worry about the throttle body when you turn the engine off the TB flap is recalibrating itself .It normal don't worry it very much normal. even my 2.4 7th Generation does it. The 8th Generation does not as it a better designed TB.

As for the whine? it can be anything unless we see it.

3. trent900 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks!

I'm not worried about the TB doing whatever it needs to do - that's fine. The recalibration after the engine is off isn't what I'm concerned about, it's just the thing that helped us isolate the whining noise because you can hear it for a few seconds after the engine stops turning. My concern is that the TB seems to be making a vicious high pitched squeal all the time it's got electrical current, and I'm told that's normal. So can I ask you: while your TB is recalibrating itself, does it make a super-high-pitch but not particularly loud whine? Can you hear it in the cabin while you drive, or at idle? Would you consider such audibility to be 'normal'?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The TB will not make a whining noise that is something else , the TB will make cluck cluck noise twice or three times tops.when was the last time your aircon was topped up.. ? a reduction in gas can cause wired noises in the evaporator.

Check the battery terminal are secured in place and tight no lose terminals

5. trent900 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good!

Thank you!

I thought it was a weird thing to just say 'oh that's normal'. Thing is, at the moment I still have a warranty so I am keen to break through any shall we say reluctance to admit there is a real fault. But I need evidence!

I haven't the slightest idea about the aircon, to be honest, sorry. I've only had the car a day or two. I will look into that though. I am wondering about intake / vacuum system leaks or airflow disruptions too...

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get the aircon on and towards the front left where the air con Bootle is there is a slight glass see how many bubbles are forming when the aircon is set to auto,

You should see minimal bubbles after 10 minutes of operation.