Detailing Who has the patience to Clay bar?! :)

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by bigroncoleman, Monday 9th May, 2016.

1. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tried Clay bar for the first time today and have to admit, i threw the towel in after 30mins! :Smile: It took me a good 20mins just to do the front wing and i would have persevered only for i remembered @wanner69 talk about Clay Mitts being just as good and a car can be done in a fraction of the time. So i've bought a G3 Clay Mitt as per his suggestion and look forward to trying it when it arrives...

BigRon

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I guess that the time taken really depends on how much there is to remove. However, if the clay mitts are quicker, then they will be worth it.
    Let us know how you get on with them please @bigroncoleman

Also, it may be worth considering just doing a panel or two at a time. I'm assuming your cars haven't been clayed before, so once you've got the whole car done, it will be much quicker next time.

It really is worth it in the end...It's the getting there that can be the pain.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  3. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    i use a mitt, never tried a bar but imagine i'd quit too

4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I love it, time away from wife with my ipod on........I take my time and make it last longer!

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If they see this, it could spoil or escape time! :shock:

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  6. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    I prefer to use a mitt, used a clay bar in the past, but find the mitt far easier and less time consuming.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Me too :happycrying:

Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  8. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    Clay bar and lube, car is smooth as silk after that.

Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Must say, I quite like claying the car, its theraputic and the car feels smooth as silk afterwards.

Sure it takes time, but its worth it in the end. I look forward to my 6 monthly full detail - its an entire day by myself just cleaning and correcting any body imperfections.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

With all the dirt and grit about, together with Honda's soft paint, I really think 6 monthly is not enough. Every three months seems better.

That's two extra days of
    :Wink:

11. Nighthawk Guest

Totally agree @Nels mate. Those extra days all add up for sure :Grin:

Gave my girl a quick bath and wax before her MOT today, after a buff, oh, and a clay, oh, and possibly some iron X too. :blush::blush:.

Not too bad for ten year old paintwork.

20160509_122534.
    20160509_141439.
    20160509_122521.

Nels, BB Baboonface, jazzway and 4 others like this.
  12. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    That's the beauty of detailing a black car, @Nighthawk... a WOW refection!!

13. Nighthawk Guest

The thing is..if you are going to buff a car properly, you have to clay it and remove all contaniments otherwise you just risk grinding it into the paintwork in my opinion

BB Baboonface likes this.
  14. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Clay mitts are definitely time savers, plus being able to wash them out if you get crud on them as opposed to binning them as you would a clay bar.

Also, they are gentler on our soft paint, my previous (54 plate) cosmic grey EV1 stood up to clay bar just fine, the (53 plate) satin silver marred like crazy, but not so with a mitt.

@Nighthawk, your paint looks amazing, credit to you.
    In all honesty despite having the kit, polishing to perfection is not something i feel too happy about. Already over protective of the car, perfect paint would make it even worse (shouted at a Crow that was happily stood there crapping repeatedly on someone else's car, so you can imagine!)

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Great shots there @Nighthawk and only possible when the paintwork is just right.
    I hope my CU1 looks that good at 10.

FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

@Nels Your car will still look factory fresh in 10 years mate I have no doubt :Thumbup:

FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Any recommendations @BB Baboonface ?

18. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    The Farecla G3 mitt works pretty well for me.
    Not tried the other offerings out there, but one attraction of the G3 is being able to pick it up at Halfords which has the element of convenience.

One thing i would say is that it is a good idea to get rid of tar spots prior to using clay mitts and cloths, missed a tar spot once and it turned into a horrible ingrained smear. Best to get a decent tar remover too, Auto Glym stuff never seemed that effective IMO. Been using Auto Finesse Oblitarate with good results, but there are others too.

FirstHonda likes this.