Pre-Purchase Who to get an import from ?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by RobsyUK, Wednesday 10th Feb, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Hey all,

I currently have a Jazz and although we love it we need a bigger car. We have had Vauxhall, Ford, blah blah and when my wife wanted a small pratical car the Jazz was amazing. ( I wanted another Sooby but she wears the trousers :Wink:)

Now that our son is 8 months and in the next size car seat the Jazz is just too small. We are after an FR-V but it has to be an auto 08/09 and naturally minimal milage with history.
    I've read the 1.8 is a littly pony so thinking of getting the 2.0 import. (Like the idea of better spec)

Where would be best to get one? Is it worth me asking an importer for a specific one or wait around for the common ones to have one for sale?
    We don't want a manual or diesel.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Not sure imports from Japan at that age 8/9 years old are a good idea ? As although they often cover low miles, it because they sit around in terrible traffic jams which is killer for any car especially when their designed to last 7 years in the first place.
    Perhaps things have changed now but I remember loads of agg with grey imports.
    I'd love to know if that now isn't the case.

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd just buy a 1.8 UK spec with the support of it being for the correct market. Whether it's a 1.8 or 2.0 it won't set the world alight and having driven both engines numerous times I doubt you would tell the difference.

stuscrv likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm out at the moment but I will jump on later this evening and post my thoughts.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

FR-V autos are quite rare, the 2.0 especially so. I would say if you get a chance try out both a 1.8 and 2.0 and see the difference for yourself.
    I disagree that there isn't a difference but do admit that this is subjective and that some people wouldn't notice the difference.
    Spec wise there isn't a huge lot of difference between a UK and JDM version. Although there some nice kitted out ones about in Japan and even a few rare K24 (2.4 litre) versions too.

7. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I like the built in displace in the JDM. If this is an optional extra that could be installed later on a uk version then I'd consider one.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

9. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Looking at imports they seem to have a Sat nav / fancy screen. i assume this could be added later on a UK model. Although I'm sure theres many things the jap ones have that UK don't.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

11. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that speedy,
    Well if a uk one can be switched out easily enough then I just need to find an 09 auto.
    I'll happily wait as I don't want a high miler.
    I can't seem you bad how many were registered as 09 on how many left :Frown:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team