Off-Topic Who's getting Windows 10 on release?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunkylover53, Thursday 23rd Jul, 2015.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As title says. I've signed up to the scheme but I'm still in two minds as to whether I should upgrade. My main issue is that my laptop was manufactured by Samsung who recently pulled out of the PC/Laptop market so I doubt they will develop Win10 drivers :Frown:

Interested to see what you guys think, including anyone already using it?

2. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    I will give it a go on it's release

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I had a bit play with it a few weeks back and was quite impressed.. I will definitely be giving it a go.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Me Me Me Me

(one Me for each of my devices I will be upgrading) - I tested the Tech. Preview and I REALLY liked Win10. This is what Win 8 SHOULD'VE been. only reason I'm not still on Tech. Preview is lack of drivers on 2 devices, and I prefer to keep my OSes standard across all my devices where possible.

5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    /\
    |
    |

This :Smile:

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I was going to, but if you go for the free upgrade then you have 30 days before your Win 7 key is banished forever, so I don't want that as I have fully legit retail professional key which I don't want to give up, so won't be doing the upgrade. Win 10 is far nicer than 8.1 with the start button back but I still prefer the simplicity of 7 and it has never put a foot wrong.

BTW I think you may be find on the old drivers front, they will bundle them in Windows Update usually and for some others like Wifi the vendors will probably produce some.

7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just like with cars, the parts inside a computer come from different manufacturers. You will be fine.

I mostly use my Mac for work, but my gaming PC has Windows 8.1 on it. I find it much quicker than 7, so I look forward to seeing what 10 is like. It's actually faster than my Mac too, even though it has a better CPU than my PC!

BTW - if you've got a branded system, you can always use the manufacturer's OEM key if you want to go back to 7. Usually it's on a label somewhere on the case or battery compartment if it's a laptop.

exec and Chunkylover53 like this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've already installed it on 5 PCs :Laughing:

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I've had it tech preview copy installed on the laptop for a good few months now, I quite like it. Had some serious USB driver issues but they have sorted those out now. Its like Windows 7 but just better.

Windows 8 and 8.1 is horrific, almost as bad as Vista so I have skipped insulting my gaming hardware by installing either of those on it.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I also have a custom build gaming rig, so Windows 10 should defo have some performance improvements especially with directx 12 coming with it, however I find myself spending less time playing games so everyday usability and stability is a must, I love Windows 7 for that, I used to be a Linux fan until it all went haywire few years back and Windows 7 totally converted me!

I will be however trying it out at work to see its suitability in deploying it to our users and whether a custom image can be made of it, (we skipped Windows 8 totally and offer very limited official support on it), hopefully the enterprise version will be stripped out of some of the consumer version crap which would make it more suitable for our environment.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very positive feedback, I was not expecting it to be honest. I'm definitely converting on release date :Smile: My only worry is for older devices that had driver updating stopped at XP but I'm sure I'll find a way around it :Smile:

12. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am running W7 and signed up for 10 on the 29 July
    apparently i can get the free upgrade for my phone which is W8 not sure how to do that or even if i want it will it be an improvement?

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It all seems very tempting and I too have registered, but where's the catch?
    Big companies don't do anything for nothing. There are probably many reasons why the want us all to change and are flogging the 'Free Upgrade' benefit.

What are the negatives, as they do exist? We just aren't fully aware of them all yet.

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

There are no catches (except that your Windows 7 CD Key expires after free upgrade). Microsoft is trying to get more people onto 'valid' licenses to ensure that more machines are getting updated with patches. Obviously Microsoft is offering free upgrades (even to non genuine windows users) with a view to making money in the long run.

Nels likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Will I be able to re-format and then re-load W10 in the future without a CD key?

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure to be honest. You definitely DO need to upgrade from an existing OS, so you don't get a free Win10 CDKey.

I'd expect that once you have registered your upgrade, if you reinstall in future, you would need to reinstall the OS you upgraded from, and then upgrade to Win10 again. Not sure if your free Win10 upgrade comes with a CDKey you would use for future reinstalls. We will know in 5 days time :Smile:

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I had a free upgrade to W8 a few years ago. I was issued with a new key, so I'm hoping that this will be the same. Just haven't been able to get find out for sure. Maybe all will become clearer after the 29th.

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I got Windows 8 phone too, you will get prompted for it if your have auto updates enabled when your carrier releases it. Depending on your phone if its a low end one it will slow it down. I have a low to mid range phone (Lumia 620) and when I upgraded to 8.1, it got ever so slightly sluggish at times.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Once you have a Windows key you can actually do clean installs and no need to install windows 7 an dthen windows 10 as your old w7 becomes obsolete and replaced with 10.

Windows 10 can be clean installed during and after free upgrade

Nels likes this.
  19. john m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a Lumia 625 i think i might leave well alone for the time being.

20. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The upgrade paths for Windows will be like with Apple OS X I reckon. You need to have a legitimate version installed at some point, and just upgrade until you get to the current version. That's one reason why I love using my Mac; free OS upgrades. Microsoft never did anything like that until now.

It remains to be seen whether they'll keep on offering free upgrades to people. But, I think they will. As RogerH69 says:

I think Microsoft will generate more revenue through corporate Windows licences and Office 365 than consumer licences of Windows. That's where the cash cow is for them.

FirstHonda and DeviateDefiant like this.