General Why I Would Never Own a Turbo Diesel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HondaHeritage, Tuesday 7th Jul, 2015.

1. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    apart from diesel being the smelliest and biggest polutant in any shape form or size
    heres a few good reasons why i would not own or recommend a turbo diesel to any of my customers

Runaway Diesel, Smoke Engine, Turbo Fail [Compilation HD] - #Bestofdashcam - Show Box Video

i have owned 2 diesels in my 40 years of driving the first being a 70,s landrover which i bought to sell on to a collector and the second was an old school transit purely for my work ( the idea of diesels were basicly for commercial use only) then some bright spark decided to stick them in the family car and thats were ALL our really harmful vehicle polution comes from
    then along came another bright spark and stuck a bloody turbo on a diesel lets make them faster !!!!

the turbo requires an oil feed to them to lubricate them as they run a vey high speed BUT run oil seals to retain the oil and this is were the fun begins
    if the oil seals fail the turbo then is allow to suck the oil from your sump which the engine will gulp greedily the more it gulps the fast the motor runs over riding your accelerator pedal and fuel feed end result a runaway engine which you can't stop until the sump is dry and the enginge seizes and goes bang

i mantained a fleet of modern mercedes sprinter coaches for a company a few years ago
    i was called out to a breakdown for a non starting sprinter , a common and regular fault was either a down fuel rail sensor or faulty injectors
    so as i often did on these callouts was a quick squirt of easy start and run the vehicle back to the depot and fix the problem,but o this occasion things wernt as they seemed
    the driver gave the air filter a quick squirt of easy start the engine immediately bursts into life with a cloud of black smoke and the revs started to climb rapidly :eek: i,d known for along time of the runaway engine syndrome and immediately recognise the situtation with splits of a second to react i jammed in 2nd gear and dump the clutch hand brake still on which very fortunately was only just enough to stall the engine
    this episode led to the whole fleet immediately being fitted with new turbo !!!!

one in a million happening ?? mmm maybe, my attitude " once bitten twice shy "

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I've been to a few of these, they are normally taxis as they are always maintained to the highest standards as we are all aware of. Overfilling them with oil can also do this, the pickup results in it being sucked into the turbo, and then it just runs off the oil in a vacuum until the oil runs out and the engine seizes.

Never seen a well maintained car do this though. Any car not maintained will go pop eventually, its just that diesels do it in style and are more fussy than petrols with tighter tolerances

3. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    no matter how well a car is maintained unless you strip the tubo to check the seals how would you know they need changing ? is this part of a dealership high mileage service even ??
    this is a turbo DIESEL issue only

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Of course this happens, and we have the amusing YT clips to prove it.

But the numbers of diesel-engined vehicles lost to diesel runaway is merely a tiny, tiny fraction of the number of vehicles (petrol or diesel) lost in more 'traditional' ways.

In compensation, engine fires are far more likely on petrol-engined vehicles.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    these issues are caused by poor maintainence and general cause by fuel leaks which are easily detected not like a hidden oil seal
    the problem is now,er days people are less likely to lift their bonnets to check anything and with modern technology people have even less idea what anything does under their bonnet

Zebster likes this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Either is so very unlikely that I'm not going to let it worry me, for either my diesel Honda or my petrol Toyota!

I'm far more worried about the threats from my fellow drivers - lots of scary YT dashcam clips about them...

HondaHeritage likes this.
  7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Fair enough, but that's like saying that the fact that majority of computer users have no idea how a bunch of electricity powered components displays this lovely forum on their screens, would mean that they should not be using computers at all :Tongue:

8. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    i have no idea on how a computer works especially how all the little component work or what they do but what i do know is when they do go wrong you end up replacing a majority of the the components as they cannot be repaired adding to the global trash can
    here just one of thousands of examples

this one example of how modern day technology is fast track spiralling the world back to the dark ages is it really clever to buy all this modern techno short lived junk,"by buying it you are as guilty as the people recycling it "

the same goes with all modern cars a vast majority of the component are made to be replaced and not repaired ,so why would i want to know how it works when i can't repair it ???
    modern day technology to me is not effecient and creates more waste ,i do undrestand it but it does not mean i have to accept it
    i try to buy things that can be dismantled and repair the original parts which means i save money and retain a working knowledge of how things actually work and keep the ability to make and repair things
    i will not be drawn in to having the latest gadget ,technology to make my life lazier and wastefully spend my hard earned money ,in fact havent you realized your working hard so you can by the latest techmology that get phazed out very quickly only to be replace by the next gimmick

being a dinosuaur i say grrrrrrr the rest of the modern day man goes baaaaaaaaaa

9. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Saying you need to replace majority of components is not true. I guess that's the difference between knowing how it works and not. Unfortunately modern electronics aren't something that can be easily repaired, but that can be applied to any kind of progress these days. Refusing to accept and acknowledge the importance of progress would equal to us being stuck in the past and never advancing or discovering never technologies (which tend to get cleaner as we gain more insight and make new discoveries - compare cars 20 years ago to no, same goes for computers 40 years ago and now). The technology is cleaner than it used to be, but due to higher volumes of those articles, it's being seen as creating more pollution. But I accept the point about the amount of scarp it creates. Companies should be forced to recycle their own devices once they reach the end of life. But since it's not in their interest ... :Frown:

10. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    until this happens we will return to the dark ages and at the rate of progression it not on the too far horizon
    i rest my case

bijomaru likes this.
  11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I guess it's fair to say that electronics and mechanics are two different things when it comes to maintainence and repairs.

12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure if they're that far apart. Most car parts would be replaced if faulty anyway. Same as in computer. It's knowing how to diagnose the faulty part and how to handle the replacement (slipping in a card to a PCI-E slot can be too much for some people, believe me) that's the key, and that goes for both cars and computers.

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I have had two diesel cars now and neither have given me issues. My Accord has been perfect. Everyone is welcome to their opinions however labelling every diesel based on a select few bad cars which are neglected is not an accurate measurement used to make judgements, other than personal opinions.

bijomaru likes this.
  14. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    i agree my personal opinion but also with experience of this problem
    i may hasten to add the vehicle that i had problems with was used for public use was regularly serviced and maintained with out it having a hint of a problem
    also having prior knowledge of this potential fault enabled me to save the engine the fact that it could happen backed by the fact that it did happen to me i would never own a diesel turbo

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was expecting a fight on this thread bah no point butting in when all of you being civil and agreeing, gone are the days of proper diesel bashing :poke:bah I miss those days.

16. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    who needs to bash a diesel engine up just stick a turbo on it and it does it all by its self:jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy::jumpy:

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Keep that fire extinguisher handy...

Ichiban and HondaHeritage like this.
  18. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Well thanks a lot Slim :Aghast:

Seriously though, I will admit that I do not understand what Turbo's do, and when they do it. Are they working all the time, from tickover, or do they kick in at certain revs or torque? And since I hardly ever go over 2500rpm, or over 75mph, is my Turbo doing anything? Sorry to appear a bit dim but I don't think I'm the only one wondering this.

And I don't like diesel either, but as said many times on this forum I purchased a diesel (2,2 CR-V 4th Generation) for performance, not economy. If I had an alternative choice it would have been the 2.4 petrol they have in the USA

Ta

Phil

HondaHeritage likes this.
  19. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    nice one phil :Grin:
    seriously i don't think you have anything to worry about yours sounds like the most underwork turbo I've ever come across :eek:
    sorry to hear you had to settle for second best :Wink:

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My BMW turbo diesel is much better and reliable than your 2.4 petrol....