Engine & Gearbox Will my car fail MOT with Engine light on?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by jbtb, Monday 16th Feb, 2015.

1. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom john batt Uxbridge
    Hi my 5 speed manual 1999 1.8 honda accord has the engine management light on !The engine oil and transmission fluid have been changed and I've tried to reset the light by the key and trip button method but still the light remains on ! Is there any other method I can try without a fault code reader or do any of you have any suggestions on why the light may be on ? Will it fail an MOT with the light on ? I'm in the UK

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi just moved your thread into the correct section. Yes with the MIL lit your car will fail the MOT test. You will need to get the code read first to ascertain what is the MIL lighting up for before you begin diagnosing and tracing the fault.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes - If your car has an OBD port (which it may not) you can try and find out the problem otherwise its best to take the car into the dealership.

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

failing that if you have a smartphone (android) then go onto the google play store and purchase Torque Pro app for your phone, this is about £3, then go on eBay and buy a Bluetooth OBD reader, these are about £5. your car will have an OBD diagnostic port on the passenger side, right next to the heater controls under a bump in the carpet. Once you pair the bluetooth reader with your phone, you should then be able to pull the codes from the ECU to ascertain what the problem is. The three main things I thing might flag up are Lambda sensor, or codes P0401 and or P1491 (both of these latter codes point towards a faulty or clogged EGR valve and passages.)

Are there any other issues with the car at all, does the engine surge, do the revs drop to 500rpm or lower or does the engine stall at random?

5. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi thank you for your help and yes the car does stall at random and the revs do drop to and below 50 RPM I will appreciate any further help you can offer and will look onto the smart app.

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To me this seems to point to a stuck or dirty EGR valve on your engine. It will need to be taken off, inspected and cleaned, before being put back on. There is also a guide on this forum on how to clean the EGR plate and passages, this is located under the fuel injectors and is quite an involved process. If you don't feel confident with doing the passages, you should be able to find a garage who could perform this service.

The EGR valve itself though is easy to take off and clean. It is located on the top of the engine, left hand side and looks like this
    62392_20150215_195857.

held on by two 12mm nuts and has an electrical connector on it. You will need a can of Carb cleaner and a small dish to sit it in and let it soak.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  7. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you Harvey you have been a great help.

Harvey likes this.