General will soon be joining the 7th Generation brigade

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by nsxer, Wednesday 16th Jul, 2014.

1. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My dad has just bought a pre registered Jazz, and I thought i would offer to buy his 05 Civic 2.0 Type-S off him rather than send it off to trade,
    There is only 41k on the clock so hopefully have a good clean car coming my way ... however will be properly servicing it on receipt and just giving the engine a bit of break in time as doubt it has had much vtecing since my bro or myself drove it last which may have been a year or so ago.

So i will be around on this board, the NSX and CR-V boards ... i must have an H implanted in my chest :Smile:

What sort of things do i need to think about maintenance wise on this model?

any concerns or must do's/checks upon receipt?

PeteMM, DeviateDefiant and AccordCU2 like this.
  2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    nsxer likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Floppy doors
    Seat belt not returning

Other than that can't thing of anything, good reliable cars.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On the top of head, first it has the K20 Engine in that chasiss its a great engine then 5 lug bolts give you loads of alloy options, it has bigger brakes than than the 1.7 Diesel and 1.6 Petrol engine.
    Just bullet proof really

you will love it around the bends. :Devil:

nsxer likes this.
  5. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Excellent cars. Sounds like a good example. Nearly owned one. However boot was too small.

nsxer likes this.
  6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm replacing my 02 accord SE exec with it! Now that car has a boot! :Smile:
    Thought the car was decent enough room wise and when the seats are folded down.

With having the CR-V now can afford to lose a bit of boot space.

The accord is a cracker car, all the kit and decent drive and very practical, but my dad's car was too good to pass up.

Car will get a proper shake down and service as MOT is due next month anyway. Will post up pics as and when I get the car lifted and taxed. Will properly detail it myself too as it lived a life of sponge washes :Frown: So there will be some work for my DA this summer!

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Look forward to hearing more about her :Smile:

8. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Ditto with seat belts not returning.

My brake caliper siezed the other week, but the parts are pretty cheap.

The faults I'm experiencing are down to the car being totally neglected for the past 6 years, so I don't imagine you'll have the same problems.

9. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well picked the car up from my dad on sat evening, so early days yet, first impressions are good. there is decent output from the engine, i am hoping this gets better as i run the car more as the car never got the runs it requires. i think there is some vibration on cruise at over 70 i felt it running across the floor ... it may be a balance issue on the wheels so will check this in due course. car needs a good clean inside and out. also need to get a new badge for the front grille (2.0) and need to fix up a nasty mark on the nearside front wing so that will be resprayed in due course. a couple of the rims need looked at, some kerbing (nothing serious) so will get these seen to and tidied up. need to get the leather trim sorted on the seats. they badly need conditioned. i am a bit worried about the drivers seat bolster ... it could be too far gone. no rips or tears yet but the crackng is deep so will be applying conditioner on iit over the next wee while to see if it helps. so plenty of cosmetic bits to keep me busy over the coming months

Have already started buying serviceable parts for it as MOT is due towards end of month - oil and filter, air filter, pollen filters, fuel filter. replaced the pollen filters already, they were stinking so glad to get that sorted. getting an A/C guy round in the not to distant future to regas the system ... unlikely done in the past 9 yrs. i also appear to have the belt retraction problem, its not bad at the mo, but know its only gonna get worse overtime

The stereo system is pretty woeful in these cars; and there was an accident with an ambi-pur car freshner a couple of years back ... it had leaked from the top air vent and has completely stained the fascia where the head unit is. So i am going to replace it and the rest of the speakers ASAP. already have a clarion headunit i purchased a couple of years back, so i will be installing this into the car along with replacing the speakers with decent upgrades. I have already ordered up the bits n bobs that i need so hope to action this in the next couple of weeks when all parts get sent out.

will get some pics up in due course and get another thread started in the garage section of the forum

10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Christ, you don't hang about mate. Good luck.

nsxer likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I do like it when things are organised. :Grin:

nsxer likes this.
  12. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Always liked these cars. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

it actually does sound like i am organised but its a plan and like all plans it can go pear shaped pretty fast. Service is coming up so need to sort out the parts. the guy that is helping me with audio install is not around after the next couple of weeks so that focuses the mind to get things done. Then i have my own thoughts on the car so will build these in.

thanks for the feedback will start the project thread in due course. Hope to get plenty of info on this section of the forum as i progress with the new/old addtion!

cheers guys

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Looking forward to seeing the project thread as all this gets going, and like your "scruff off the neck" attitude to restoring former glory :Laughing:

15. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

just had the mobile A/C guy out this evening to check the A/C system in the car. As stated the car is 9 years old, my dad would not have chosen to run the A/C so not sure how its health was. It seemed OK since I started driving it but wanted to be sure. The A/C guy gave it a clean bill of health, the system is well intact considering usage etc. It had still alot of gas, but still required topping up. He let the system run for a good 1/2 hour and the fans were kicking in and everything like they should. The car was ICE cold once he was done. £30 well spent.

Another item off the check list! :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Cool in the summer, de-humidified in the winter. Don't you just love it when things work ! :GoodJob:

nsxer likes this.
  17. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thread now set up on the project log section of the site. Will update there as I progress work on this car.
    Thanks for looking