Electrical & Lights Window Switch Replacement

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by stefr-v, Wednesday 23rd Apr, 2014.

1. stefr-v New Member Getting Started

stefr-v
    Hi all
    Wonder if anyone can help me with an issue with the switch unit for my fr -v? I want to replace it but don't know how to get to it or how much of the dash to remove. Anyone shine a light on the situation?
    Cheers

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Can you explain a little more about which switches in particular you mean?

3. stefr-v New Member Getting Started

stefr-v
    The rocker switches on the dashboard to control the windows. The drivers window switch has become loose and floppy so I need to replace the whole unit. I just wanted to gauge how difficult it would be as a diy job.
    Cheers

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Beefy are you around ? Can you advise please ?

Think we have had a FR-V window switch discussion before on here.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

6. stefr-v New Member Getting Started

stefr-v
    "very easy to replace though. Remove the pull down tray and there is a few screws upwards under the switch and it pulls out from inside downwards as one."
    - Cheers gents, will try this out ASAP.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Cool. Please do report back on how you get on .. with pics if possible :Smile:

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@stefr-v , I've been looking for info on the switch for you, and it appears that it is not un-common problem.
    The only diagram so far, (assuming a 2005 model year) is

FR-V window switch.

If this is not your model, please let me know.

9. jay0001 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jay
    Got the exact same problem with mine... currently hunting down a switch from the breakers on ebay. Go from between £75+ delivery to £150. Definatley going to be a DIY job.. That diagram looks very usefuly. Will pops some pictures on there once I start to tackle it. Never done any work on cars before other than changing the car bulbs and change the old wheel now and again lol.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Pictures are always great, as they help other that have the same issue to deal with it too :Smile:
    Good luck finding a switch. :Hey:

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Go for it Jay. Only way to learn is to have a go.

Shout if you need anything info/advise.

12. stefr-v New Member Getting Started

stefr-v
    apologies for the delay, thanks for the info looks like a nice easy job, but I still haven't had a chance to tackle it! I will be working on it this weekend fingers crossed if the missus doesn't take it anywhere so I will take photos as I go.
    Check back soon and cheers once again

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Remember the pictures fella it does help others:Niceone:

14. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    I had the same problem on my FR-V. Bought it second hand and the switch was loose. Eventually it gave way whilst the window was down. I couldn't be asked to pay £150 to some breakers for the whole panel, as the rest of it worked perfectly. so decided to fix it at home. Here is how we did it.

The best way to get to it, is to remove the pull down try as you can see with the diagram, there are 2 screws which need to be removed.

The problem with mine was that the two hooks/ends that sit inside the switch got broken. So it couldn't rock backwards and forwards. So since the parts were in the panel, we super glued them. Took some time and had to use really thin tweezers to old them together so the glue can solidify.

Also the long arm that stretches from the switch to the actual button controlling the window broke. You will notice that it has a semi circle groove/cutout at the bottom. With the help of my Uncle, we super glued the parts, but knew it will give way. So the next step was to:

1 - Get some staples, clip of the ends so your left with the long middle part
    2 - Get some really thing fabric and cut it out so the length and width cover the arm

Super Glue the staples to the arms of the switch and then immediately place the cloth on top of it whilst the glue is on. The Cloth will soak the glue and then let it cool down. Eventually, once solidified the staples give it the switch strength an the cloth just keeps the whole thing intact. And to be honest, it feels like brand new. Solid all the way through. I just wish i had taken pictures of the initial problem, the fixes as we done them and the final outcome.

garf8v and SpeedyGee like this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff, just hope this fix lasts the test of time. I wish you has taken pictures bud as it would have helped others, but no dobut the write will assist.

16. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    To be honest, it would have been nice ... no doubting that ... it's just that, the fix was done early this year and i only joined this forum in the past couple of weeks or so.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  18. PASMITH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul York
    Thought I'd add to this thread as I just repaired my FR-V window switch too. Much cheaper than a replacement. Cost me the price of some super glue basically. :Smile:
    I had the same problem mentioned where two of the plastic pivot points, which the drivers window switch sits on, had broken off.
    Here's what I did. First I removed the dash panel with the VSA and headlight angle buttons in. There's one black screw at the bottom and then it pops out. I then disconnected the VSA and headlight wires so I could get properly in the dash. Then I undid the three screws on the switch unit mentioned above (that is quite fiddly and you need some patience and a small screw driver) and tried to pull the switch unit down and out. For some reason it wouldn't come out. There must have been another point of attachment at the back I couldn't see or get to. But I could now angle the switch unit down enough to remove the top plastic section that covers the switch mechanisms (the bit that forms the dash part of the switch). With this out the way I could remove the switches themselves and in the drivers switch I found the two bits that had snapped off. The break was pretty clean so I super glued them back on. Left it 10-15 minutes to go off and then put the switch back on, then the cover plate and then screwed it all back into place. I'm not sure how strong the repair will be but it feels pretty good so far.

Joel likes this.
  19. Joel New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Joel Bristol
    I can't manage what @PASMITH did, it is too fiddly for me. From @Nels diagram above (and from pictures of the replacement part online) there is a screw that comes in from above. Anybody got any ideas above how to remove the vent above to see if I can access the screw from there (although I suspect the duct behind will probably still be in the way)? I tried pulling the top of the dashboard off as @SpeedyGee suggests in this thread JDM Edix - LPG install finished and certified | Page 2 (FR-V/1st Generation - ) (near the bottom) - I can't even get it to wiggle (off to buy some dashboard removal tools unless someone has any tips).

20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello @Joel and welcome to HondaKarma.