Accord/8th Gen Window tints

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by Smokingman, Sunday 21st Feb, 2016.

1. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi

Has anyone had their car windows tinted? If so how much and where and any recommendations for Lincoln area. Its just an idea at the moment.

John

2. diddzytypeR Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom riddz nottingham
    I pay about £140 for the back and extra £50 for fronts you don't want be paying much more then that sorry can't recommend anyone near you but if got time go and have a look and watch them do some that's what I did.

3. civicric84 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Oxford
    Do they need to take out the rear shelf etc to get access to the rear window? Or is it quite straightforward?

4. diddzytypeR Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom riddz nottingham
    Not sure mate not had my new car done yet looking at next week. I'm nipping to see the bloke who fits mine for a QnA see what needs doing. would have had them done last week but ordered my milltek exhaust instead.
    - - - Updated - - -
    If know what ur doing it is straight forward but if you don't it can look a mess thats why need to look around a ask questions mate

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I had mine done for £175 for rear doors, rear side windows and tailgate, plus £40 for front doors. Had it done at Oxford Performance Autos. It was pricey, but they offer a lifetime guarantee on bubbles / peeling etc. I went back a few months later to show them some really small bubbles on the tailgate that didn't wanna go away, and they replaced the tint on the rear window there and then, no questions asked.

It is pretty 'straightforward', and they normally don't need to remove anything, unless it obscures part of any of the windows being tinted.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got the 8th Generation saloon Genuine Honda Sunshades for sale. If your interested let me know. Just bear in mind the shades can be sold on where window tints can't.

Sunshades for sale <-- click me.

7. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi Racy
    Thank for the offer, but mine is a Tourer.
    John

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I had my Accord done from the B pillar backwards in a dark smoke (cuts out about 80% of the light) but I am nowhere near you.

Just wanted to say, I know you are only thinking of getting them done, but they have been fantastic for the kids in the summer, block the sunlight out from their eyes and do improve the look of the car. Hope you decide to get them, they will suit your car. Il be doing hte wifes Civic in summer

RogerH69 likes this.
  9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I agree with @Nighthawk . I had my front doors done as well (as dark as legally allowed) and they make a difference. Back seats passengers get most benefit as rear window (which is one level below 'full limo' dark) and rear doors ('full limo' dark) cut down a lot on glare.

Also, as someone who had their one window smashed for no apparent reason, it will help in such situation as well, if only to stop the damn glass from going everywhere (I am STILL finding pieces of broken glass in my car)

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

On that note, if anyone does consider doing the front tints, the front side windows have to let a minimum of 70% of light through. Take into the equation that every car on the road nowadays have a factory green (or blue for some VAG cars) tint in the windows anyway at the time of manufacturer. This tint can be anything from 5%-10% which only gives you 15%-20% further tint allowance so not much. Tinting is not part of an MOT however so they wouldn't pick up on whether its too dark or not - this is measured with a VLT meter (Visual Light Transmission) which is a little hand held device.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Question. Do you have to declare tints on your car to insurance? cause Jazz's windows allow direct sunlight to fall on my baby and that is not good specially on a long trip on motorway. If that is the case then maybe something like this will be better suited?
    as they can be taken off ?

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have been thinking about doing mine but can't decide between tints or sunshades.
    Anyobody know decent company around Birmingham and price roughly just for rear window and doors?

13. Nighthawk Guest

@legend-ary - they are classified as a modification so technically yes - my insurance company however couldn't care less that I had tints on, and I know some others are the same as it doesnt alter the car characteristics (performace) and doesnt affect your ability to drive correctly. Best to check first with your insurance if you arent sure.

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

As @Nighthawk says, you DO have to declare your tints. My insurance company did not change my premiums when I told them. However, as they ARE a modification, some insurance companies may play hard ball in hte case of claims when you have not declared the modifications.

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

...as we all know, insurance companies will do anything and everything not to pay out.... :Whistle:

16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Imaginary Scenario. I know we are not experts but just trying to gauge what others think..
    if a car you bought came with genuine Honda alloys which weren't really standard on your spec but were optional. You are the 5th owner and have no clue if they were specified from factory or added later? are they modifications too? same goes with tints or tow bar.. if they there when you bought the car would you call up and say yes its modified?

17. civicric84 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Oxford
    I have an 8 gen accord. Is it easy to get the rear window done without removing the rear seats and parcel shelf/sub woofer/rear brake light.

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I would expect that if you are aware they are not standard spec, then in theory you need to at least inform insurance company. in he case of a claim, if you could prove you did not know they were not standard, then you should be fine, as long as they came with the car (and you could prove it)

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Unless you are unaware of what the standard spec was :Grin: and just bought a good looking Jazz/Accord/Civic

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest

My Santinos arent declared - they were an optional extra at time of manufacture and are Honda parts. Might be interesting to hear from people like @ChrisKnottIns and @Adrian Flux to get a professional opinion