Off-Topic Windows 8 Beta

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SayamaAccord, Wednesday 25th Jan, 2012.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Windows 8 Beta is due to launch in February.

Does anyone plan to instal it?

Anyone already installed the developer version?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have had it play with the Windows server 8 and it will come as shock to a lot of people. Windows have done a complete U turn and gone to power shell i.e.. CLI command line interface. people not friendly with CLI will need to brush up on Power shell there is no way around it.

Microsoft ditched CLI in Version 3 all these year of GUI interface they have gone back to basic ... The Windows 8 is good but I can't see my parents grasping the interface.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ah well I love a challenge lol...I think I will instal it because it's sure to be an improvement on XP which I'm running now.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Windows 7 is a massive improvement on Xp don't delay in switching. Otherwise the learning curve is a long one .

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've had vista on the laptop since i bought it. i realy don't know wether it is worth paying out and changing? is windows 7 or 8 all that different?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Vista was a utter disaster for vole ,you need to ditch a badly made operating system .Vista had all the traits of Windows ME rushed and badly designed. To voles credit they fixed all these issues in Win7.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i think money will have a big say in it to be honnest. i won't be rushing to buy either

8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Beta version due out Feb 29 apparently.

9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I installed Windows 8 Developer Preview on my laptop, its ok if you have a touch screen otherwise I didnt like it its a bit like the mango phones in the way the UI works.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I read that there is something called "gorilla arm syndrome" which means that vertical desktop monitors are no good for touchscreen operation because after a while your arm aches.

11. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    All of the screenshots and videos I have seen suggest that it is a horrific mishmash between Metro and Win7 UIs. For example, opening word or excel will take you to a desktop UI, while pressing start will take you to Metro UI.

Having tried Metro UI on phones, the information density is way too low in the tiles - with the metro start screen you'll have a cluttered mess of ~30 tiles, and will struggle to find the app that you are trying to run.

However MS seem to have abandoned any semblence of sensible UI design - office 2010 is utterly terrible, often requiring 3-4 clicks where office 2003 required 1 (EG placing drawing objects).

Windows 7 was a good product - it was a sensible evolution of Vista, taking on board the criticism that vista received. Now they really want to throw it all away with windows 8.

It wouldn't take much for microsoft to lose out very rapidly over the next couple of years. They have no credible offering in the tablet market and win 8 is unlikely to change that. Despite all of their efforts and putting their people into nokia to make them abandon a promising OS (Meego) for a disappointing one (WP7), WP7 still fails to capture significant market share, at around 4%. It is conceivable that Android will grow into a serious competitor in the laptop/netbook/nettop arena. As it is already tablets will do most of what most people want a computer for - email, surfing and movies. The PC market is in a serious decline in terms of volumes as tablets pick up most of the bottom end of the market. The number of people buying ipads and iphones is boosting apple Mac sales also.

The major battle lines are likely, however, to be drawn in the living room. Smart TV, Xbox, PS3, google TV and apple iTV (they're going to struggle with that trademark in this country) and tablets will soon define how most people use the internet. Windows 8 is not part of that.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would agree to with some of your points on product innovation and design strategy is getting ridiculous. Nearly all the new Microsoft product line in the competitive mobile tablet market are directly out of knee jerk reaction to keep up with times.

however Windows 8 and their tablet and mobile divisions are not only their main source of revenue. yes they have a lot of catching up to do but the demand of Windows products from the corporate world keeps it float and will do for some time.Microsoft should refocus on their core divisions and forget the retail market for now until they design something new.

I have to give credit to Microsoft the Kinetic for Xbox 360 is a very well made and designed and it works brilliantly , vole could do with some more products like that.

13. I-S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Kinect is a good product, and I think Xbox360 is probably a better product than PS3 (I say that as owner of the latter).

The thing is next generation... PS4, X720? Whatever it is, it will be an interesting battle.

As for corporate... The company I work for (~$600M revenue pa) is about to move from Exchange (European operations) and Lotus (US operations) to Google mail services due to costs. Nobody in the organisation is happy with office 2010 (and some win7/office2010 machines have even been flattened and reinstalled with XP and 2003). The danger is in MS taking corporate for granted. It wouldn't take much for Canonical or someone to come out with a corporately supported Linux distro that gave IT managers much less of a headache than windows does.

Who knows how it will play out, but I don't think Microsoft look like the unassailable force that they did 5 years ago.

Perhaps the closest and most relevant recent example of a similar situation I can think of is that of intel a few years ago, when they brought in the Pentium 4 and RAMBUS. The whole platform designed around the i840 chipset had been designed with the mindset of "We are intel so people will buy whatever we sell them". They had never banked on AMD giving them serious competition, and when they did Intel fell to pieces, stuck in a rut with the fundamentally poor P4 Netburst architecture. In intel's case, they eventually turned it around by going back to a Pentium 3 derivative and developing that into Core. Core 2 was a clear statement of "intel is back", while Core i is a fantastic series of products. The point here being that intel were the supposedly unassailable one but made the mistake of doing as they pleased rather than as the market wanted. Maybe MS can learn and will produce something better (windows 7 was a glimpse of that, but it seems to have gone away again), but given how long MS have been shipping shoddy product, it seems unlikely.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Isaac I hear these tuning issues on the Exchange on a daily basis and 90% of the time it not the product it the deployment of the exchange 2010 and the back end exchange server. I will not for one second say the exchange is a bad product it has evolved a lot and it needs the right deployment.

Microsoft licensing is exorbitant there is no denying it and it due to this layout SME and even big corporates get the SAN and the hardware specification of core servers so wrong you have major bottlenecks. I see this on a daily basis brand spanking Windows machine 7 with 2010 with a backend on old legacy 64bit architecture and running on slow speed Sata SAN disc.

Then there is the lack of education 2010 outlook should not used over slow links or VPN the experience is slow, the should use exchange webmail it has nearly all the features of the full fat client. I will give you an example with Andriod I got the San Francisco as I refused to pay top dollar for the top end android phone... and didn't I pay a price for it and that ruined my perception of Android .The phone was poor for my needs it was not fast the same ROM on another phone with better spec was amazing.

It is the flaw of the management and users in selecting the wrong hardware and wrong product which makes the defining moment for any product. Exchange2010 is GOOD brush up on the Powershell commands and it fast.

When we have a chat regarding exchange or even MS hypervisor server we tell customer to go to Intel Processor Comparison

Fastest CPU doesn't necessarily means it the best! make sure they have VP-d on lower end chipset if they re going for virtual instances

PS did a deployment of Exchange 2010 on IBM V7000 it is the OUT of this world IBM has in my eyes blown everything out of the skies with the 2U appliance.

15. 35mmslr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

IchibanAccord, I hear what you are saying but, you are wrong on the exchange front. Ex2010 has removed the need for fast SANs. I have now performed 50+ large scale deployments and only needed fast disks (tierd EFDs & 15k FCsas) on a couple of installs. Even MS recommend DAGs with DAS-SATA. However, I agree that Exchange is the best product in its class and 2010 is such an improvment over 2007 for management I can't see (apart from cost) why anyone would choose anything else for the enterprise.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    drrr ..you are right mistake on the 2010 has removed the need for fast disc,I needed to reflect on 2007.

17. 35mmslr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I have just dl'ed the Consumer Preview of Win8 so that is something for me to play with tonight. Maybe it is time to dig out that old touch enabled Toshiba sitting in the loft.

18. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆