General Windscreen Garnish Damaged

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Friday 27th Feb, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I noticed that the right side (off side) of my front windscreen is slightly damaged. I got a price for a replacement piece from Holdcroft, and as it's just over £50, I'd like to confirm that i need to replace it.

As shown below, there is a 'lip' that sticks out at the point of touching the windscreen, which is pushed in / missing along part of the garnish. The images below show the good areas in green and the bad areas in red. Blue shows where it's pushed in.
    IMG_20150227_091822. IMG_20150227_091827. IMG_20150227_091833. IMG_20150227_091839.

This image (from the other side of the windscreen) shows how the garnish 'lip' should look.
    IMG_20150227_091916.

Am I correct that this lip is meant to stop stuff getting under the garnish ? On the side with the damaged lip, the garnish is not in full contact with the screen at all places.

Maybe not a big thing, but looking at the garnish that is on the car, this lip seems to be part of the garnish itself, and not a separate piece. However, the blowout below does not seem to indicate there is a lip on the garnish.

From what I see, the garnish just just lift out of the clips, so it would be easy to replace ?
    951fdc36db43071501af97e4b5e2fa07.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Seems more like the clips are damaged or missing rather than the actual garnish itself being damaged. The clips can break off quite easily if the windscreen is/or has been replaced. It does stop gunk but it also acts as funnelling rain water up and over the windscreen and roof.

The garnish should unclip (fair bit of force needed), and just replace or check the clips first before you fork out any money would be my suggestion.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I'll look at taking the garnish off this weekend and see what's actually damaged. Maybe I can just fill it with silicone sealant :Smile:

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I popped the garnish off quickly (it does take a bit of effort on the middle part to get it out of the clips) and noticed that there are 2 hard plastic 'seals' (only way I can describe them) stuck on the inside of the garnish (picture below looks like it's one piece that's snapped, but looking at garnish on other side of the windscreen, it seems to be 2 separate pieces)
    IMG_20150228_112537.

As indicated by the picture above, and the 2 below, this 'seal' has started coming unstuck
    IMG_20150228_112550. IMG_20150228_112550.

Looking at the parts websites, I cannot seem to order just this seal, and the parts blowout (as per original post) does not show if this part comes already fitted to the garnish.

Attached Files:

5. Nighthawk Guest

What condition are those clips in. The seal may cause it to have failed to seat properly if they were giving extra height to the garnish when it was pushed against the windscreen as they were loose.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The clips seem to be fine, though a little dirty with stuff that got under the garnish - I gave them a bit of a clean before putting the garnish back.

It just started raining more heavily, so I put the garnish back. If it clears up later, I'll pop off the garnish again, and see if the seal looks like it came pre-assembled or not, and then make a decision on whether I risk buying the entire garnish assembly or not.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just read your post again, and now get what you were saying. The seals were not blocking the garnish from going in the clips properly. In fact, the garnish now 'wobbles' if I push on it, as there is a gap (in some parts) between it and the windscreen.

7. Nighthawk Guest

Sorry mate, I didnt explain myself properly or make that clear. I still sometimes have difficulty formulating sentences at times ever since a breakdown last year. Inspect the inside of that garnish with your finger - can you feel any small ridges which mean it is slightly bent, although not enough to show on the outside, but enough to keep it off the surface?

Its either the garnish which is slightly bent, the clips, or both from my experience.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The garnish itself feels fine. On the inside of the garnish, I can actually see the glue that was used to stick the seal on. I suspect that for some reason, part of the seal has come loose (possibly someone being a little too eager with a scrap during winter), and over time, it's just peeled off more and more.

I'm going to see if I can get the garnish assembly from a breaker yard before I go and order a new one.