Electrical & Lights Windscreen heater very weak?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by greedy86, Wednesday 16th Jan, 2013.

1. greedy86 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Morning Ladies and Gents....

I'm a newbie here....and this is my first ever thread! haha

Not long back from holiday to discover that the blower heater for my front windscreen is pretty much useless.....once it's heated up u can feel the heat coming through - JUST!

It would seem there is a loud blowing noise coming from in behind the glove compartment area!

I'm no expert but it would seem to me that possibly a pipe has come off or the pipe possibly has a split in it? Just a thought.

My question is though....is there an easy way to get in behind the dash to have a look? I'm hoping there is anyways....as the last few days the windsreen has been frozen both outside and inside!

Your thoughts and advice would be very much appriciated.

Many Thanks

PS - The car is a 2002 (52plate) honda accord sport.

Cheers

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Greedy86, why don't you pop over the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car :Smile:

If you remove the glove box, you'll be able to see the blower and give it a visual inspection.

I would think though that the issue maybe internal to the blower though. Perhaps the fan has separated from the motor for example.

3. greedy86 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will do SpeedyGee....and thanks for the reply!

I know my cars pretty well....but when it comes to the mechanics of them....i'm useless! haha

I'll maybe have a look tonight. It seems strange though....as when you put the heaters to your feet or just through the vents facing you....there seems to be much more power in the hot air! Seems strange really.

So you think it's an easy enough fix?

Please bear in mind that i'm a novice....my first car was a mini....and i think i learned a fair bit about cars then....as everything that could have went wrong....DID! haha

I'll pop in and say hello shortly....thanks again! :Smile:

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If you getting full flow to feet or face but not to the windscreen the issue could be in the ducting or the flap which controls where to send the airflow.

5. greedy86 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It seems that way anyways, not what you need at the height of winter.

I was in Australia last week....and was having to go start the car 10 mins early to cool it down....now that i'm back in the highlands....its funny the similarities! haha

Now i'm starting it to defrost it! :Frown:

Is it easy enough to take the glove box out?

It was dark last time i had a quick look....will get another look this wknd :Smile:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Usually with the glove box open, you will see that in the open position it rests on two tabs at the back. These two tabs stop it falling out.

What you need to do is grab hold of one corner pull the glove box so the tab pop out (the glove box is flexibale at the back), repeat on teh other side and with the tabs popped out the glove box falls forwards.

The above will make sense when you have a look (I hope :Smile:)

7. greedy86 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahh right i see....yeah, i just read what you said there very blankly - i'll read it again whilst i'm looking at the glove box.

Another thing i'd like to point out.....when did the newer shape Accord come in?

The car i've got is a 52 plate and it's the older shape....but i think it must have been one of the last ones....as i've seen some quite old ones of the newer shape!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  9. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

removing the glove box assembly, requires you to remove screws from the top edge of the box itself and then the four screws that hold the hinges - two for each hinge. Remember there is a light attached to the right hand side of the glove box so you need to pull the bulbholder out. Once you have got the lid off you can wiggle the glove box out. While you are at it=, pull down the undertray which is directly under the glove box lid but remember to heat the car up first otherwise the plastic posts that hold the retaining clips will break off.
    This will give you some clear visibility of the left hand side of the dashboard and most of the heater - you need to remove another bar to get at the pollen filter but if you can see nothing awty then it is out with the fascia and instrument cluster - all of this is fairly easy and let me know if you need to know how to remove them.
    Regards
    Stephen

10. wumps Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

is it just the screen thats not hot or all of the heater i had this on mine it was the cable had come off the heater valve under the bonnet not easy to see but under the air intake pipe you will see the heater pipes running into a valve check the cable is attached to it

11. greedy86 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All the heaters are hot....it's just when i put the heat and blowers to the windscreen....the blowers to the windscreen are very feint!

It sounds like the air is blowing in behind the dash.

I'm going to take the glove box out this wknd and have a proper look.

It's no use when you're going to work in the dark....and coming home! haha

12. Mike88 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This has been a problem with mine recently too! Since the winter began and condense just sticks to the windscreen! No air travels through only sound.. Have you discovered what the problem was with yours? I need mine done. Also on the same car 2002 52 1.8 sport.

13. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

im having the same problem on my 2001 1.8is maybe a how to post could be beneficial to others for future use

14. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Pulling the glove box out will give you some visibility but I would guess you will need to remove the dashboard facia and probably the instrument cluster which is all easy-peasy and logical except for any plastic lugs that intereference fit into a retaining hole because in this cold weather the plastic is very brittle so a tip is to warm the car to toasty hot before stripping it down.
    However, another point on these vehicles is that the thermostats go a bit wonky on older cars. For example, where does your temperature needle end up when the vehicle is hot? I bet it is lower than the mid point and if so try stuffing a bit of cardboard over up to half of the radiator and see what happens to get the needle up to around the half way point. Take care not to let it overheat whilst experimenting though.
    Obviously, the loud blowing noise behind the dashboard with nothing ending up on the screen sounds like a duct problem - although I cannot see how this has happened unless of course it has been played with - but these cars do tend to run a bit on the cold side regardless of engine type and we have had a lot of cold weather this winter. Also air conditioning if fitted is a factor and whether it is working properly. Remember to get it serviced and the air dryer changed every couple of years. Dealers will not do this unless requested to do so and if the gas is in there for a long period of time it absorbs moisture and becomes acidic rotting out the condenser untit from the inside. 80% of non-functioning air-conditioning units are down to this in my experience and it is expensive to sort out. If your car has climate control and the air-conditioning is not working then the in car temperature/humidity sensor becomes confused and the system is all over the place.
    Something to think about perhaps.
    Regards
    Stephen

Last edited: Monday 11th Feb, 2013
  15. takeslousyphotos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a similar problem ........ Changed the pollen filter and it made a whole load of difference. The old filter was absolutely black and totally blocked.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  16. takeslousyphotos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks fellas ............ I changed the radio today and had the climate control panel out. Now I'm not really sure what I've done (maybe just unplugging stuff and plugging back in but it dertainly seems to be behaving better, blowing more air and changing direction with the different modes. So, never to be one to look "Gift Horses" and all that ..... I'm happy with it.

Thanks again to all.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 23rd Feb, 2013
  17. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i could only get air blowing out of the front 4 vents and non from the windscreen vents or footwell vents. also the selector dial on the dash wouldn't turn all the way round. ao i removed said heater controls and noticed that the cables are almost identical to bike brake cables. as in a cable moves inside a cable and this is held into place on the back of the dial with a small metal clip. this had come lose and the intire cable was moving and not the inner part of the cable so i reattached the cable and problem solved.

sorry i didnt think to take pics but this might help someone out. :Smile:.

18. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i had same problem with mine changed pollen filter thanks to guide on here now all sorted id say it pollen filter mate

19. VtecToon Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Durham
    I'm having same problems - plenty air flow from the face and side vents but nothing from the screen vent.
    I have just changed the pollen filter - which was crusted with dirt - and this has not helped:Frown:

As one of the previous posters said my heating dial does not go the full way round so I'm going to check the heater controls and see if that will solve the issue.

Cheers, Craig

20. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i didnt think to take any pictures when i had the car apart but im sure someone on here can get a picture of the heater controls to help be careful though buddy the heaters are attacked to 2 cables that have no play in them i had to remover the bottem pockets to get better access