Body, Paint & Styling Wing mirror power fold broken

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Burly Chassis, Wednesday 29th May, 2013.

1. Burly Chassis New Member Getting Started

N/S wing mirror on our 2007 Honda Accord Tourer took a clout recently. I noticed that the indicator light was damaged, though the rest of the mirror unit appeared ok. Off it went to the main dealer for replacement of the LED light (£109.64... ouch!), and that, I thought, was that.

Couple of days later I pressed the power fold switch. O/S mirror pulled in fine, N/S one just made the noise of the motor but with no movement. When I manually moved it I noticed there was no resistance at all, though the mirror still sensed when the fold was complete as the motor switched off once I pulled it all the way in.

I assumed that this would have been at least noticed by the mechanic making the repair. Then I looked at the paperwork that had come back from the garage - on the vehicle health check form there is a green mark next to the glass/mirrors/door locks section. Hmmm...

I then checked how much the main dealer would charge for this repair - £244 for a new motor or £353 for a whole new mirror unit. Ouch again. With a cherry on top.

So, three questions:

1) How grumpy should I get with the main dealer? Should they have flagged this up? If they do the extra repair I don't see why I should have to fork out for the labour again.
    2) Should I try and get this done on the insurance (£150 premium) or is it something I could try myself? I have seen this thread and this diagram. I'd like to save some money, so I have rung around a few breakers, but no joy so far on a power fold mirror.
    3) Does anyone have any winning lottery numbers?

Many thanks!

Burly

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry to hear about this buddy, the side mirror once whacked they will not fold and they are expensive.

what did you do in the end?

3. filbaker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh boy. Similar situation here. Someone whacked my nearside mirror the wrong way (ie: forwards) on Saturday night and now it just flaps around in the breeze. The motor tries to correct it but, of course, fails, so it appears that the internal linkage is broken as everything electrical works. Anybody have any idea whether it's possible to get inside and fix what ails it? I'm sure it is designed for that not to be the case, but you never know... :Aghast:/

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    its broken bud repair is a waste of time personally they are designed to break like that something to do with pedestrian safety.:Whistle:

5. filbaker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bah! Pesky pedestrians - who needs 'em anyway? Thanks (sob...)

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Burly Chassis New Member Getting Started

In the end I repaired mine myself, sourced a power fold mirror on eBay (£100) and then swapped out the broken internals. This page helped:

http://hondakarma.com/posts/32741/

The final exploded diagram is for a non power fold mirror I think, but it's still very useful.

Good luck!

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good man did you take pictures of the repair it would help others

8. filbaker Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's cool! Thanks for the link; I'm looking to do that myself - found a powerfold mirror on Breakeryard.com (for £102 delivered) this afternoon. I'll either swap the entire unit and switch the coloured backs or climb inside and change the entrails, depending on how I feel at the time!