General winter driving (AWD vs Winter tyres and more)

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by gpoler, Tuesday 17th Nov, 2015.

1. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    this comparison looks interesting,
    real benefits of winter tyres on 2WD and 4WD ,even compared with all season tyres.

tomwillie likes this.
  2. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Good advice re winter tyres but as so few fit them drivers will still get stuck when majority of vehicles with summer tyres cannot get up ICE/snow bound hills. If winter tyres are fitted then car behind is unlikely to have them so risk of being rear ended unless you drive as if you have summer tyres i.e. keep well back from vehicles in front. In East/SE I would only fit them if we lived in an area not served by gritted roads or we had rear wheel drive cars. From experience the S2000 with standard Bridgestone summer tyres is useless in any depth of settled snow except on dead flat road. When I just had an S2000 for daily drive I invested in Tyre Socks for emergencies but never had to use them, once by skin of teeth.

3. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    Really useful information. Tyres are if not the most important, then certainly one of the most important items on your car. As ultimately they're the only thing that makes contact on the road.

4. gpoler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy gpoler Milan
    hi, don't forget that if you're on a climb in winter condition and your car will slip off, you're probably getting out of road or collapsing to the rear veicle. When temps get lower than 8 °C is better to have winter (even better than all season tyres!) because a few cm of snow will made street wery difficult to ride
    (Happened to me in a 2002 April, unpredicted little snow and the glorious Accord blocked on a climb , and fortunately BLOCKED an not slipping back!)