Fuel Efficiency Winter fuel efficiency for 2.2 i-DTEC 2008 onwards

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Monday 3rd Dec, 2012.

?

Winter fuel efficiency for 2.2 i-DTEC ?

Poll closed Wednesday 11th Feb, 2015.
  1. 26- 28 MPG

1.6%
  2. 28-30 MPG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 30-32 MPG

3.1%
  4. 32-34 MPG

7.8%
  5. 34- 38 MPG

15.6%
  6. 38- 42 MPG

31.3%
  7. 42-48 MPG

29.7%
  8. 48- 51 MPG

4.7%
  9. 51 MPG and above

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This poll is to collate the information for all Diesel owners to actually want compare fuel efficiency figures from other Honda Accord Owners.

Some of you may know in winters full tank of diesel do not necessary give higher fuel efficiency as compared to a lower or half tank. Fuel companies also change the composition of diesel fuel with additive to ensure the diesel has better anti-wax properties.

Please indicate how you are achieving this mileage in this format

How are are you calculating the MPG ?

Are you calculating MPG from full tank?

Tyre of Journeys i.e Motorway , Urban, a Mixture.

2. black-hawk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Havnt had mine long, but, did 49mpg on the computer, that was with cruise set a 70mph on 50 mile motorway run, day to day its averaging 33mpg on 10mile conbined runs, dosnt get driven to hard or carry any additional weight.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks guys keep the info coming , good to see such a massive difference !

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My company have moved to Telford this week so I now have a slightly longer route. In 4 days I've done 152 miles and got 48mpg in my iDetec. If I didn't over take any cars on the dual carriage way I probably would get 49-50mpg. I'm going to wait a few weeks before posting my results so I can get an accurate figure.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ

You need a separate section for me with my 65mpg-plus that I routinely get! :Thumbup:

ir0n_jaw and Ichiban like this.
  6. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I average about 50 going to and coming from work (15min on secondary rd with a couple of 60km/h zones) there also a lot of traffic so plenty of variation in speed/revs etc.

On a long route , I get about 55+. I don't do very much motor way driving but I did notice when i did that over 70mph the fuel efficiency gets worse

7. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apologies I see this is for I-DTEC.. Couldn't see the text on my phone .. Oops ! .
    I thought the I-DTEC would have better fuel economy though...

8. ir0n_jaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mars
    Wow, that's awesome.. Is that from a 2.2 diesel?

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes Sir, thats right.

I also get roughly 40-46mpg on a few short hops here and there, but most of my Mon-Fri driving is motorway. Depending on how I drive, I usually record between 55-75mpg. In a previous thead here, I usually always get around 900 miles per tank. Still trying to beat the 919 mile record though!

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  10. brookr New Member Getting Started

Thats really good! I am down inthe lower 40's or slightly below now with the 2006 2.2 diesel engine! must admit I always thought it would do better than this. I have a 10year old Rover75 and can equal the Honda MPG.
    Is there anything that I should be checking to increase the MPG on this engine! engine mods??? etc. Most of the journies I do are very urban in traffic. On a run I can get 50mpg but never much more than this!
    I'm not a foot to the floor man either!
    Rob

11. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    2.2 I-DTEC touring returns 42mpg on motorway at 75mph.....that's a GPS 75mph, the speedo overreads. Driven from Cornwall to London and back several times since I've owned it and it does the same every time.
    If I drop to 70mph then I get about 47 MPG and up towards 60 MPG if I'm cruising at 60 mph.
    Around town and my usual B roads I get about 38mpg.

12. nonda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Measured over 20k miles since March 2012. Calculated running average went up to around 52mpg over the summer and since Oct has been steadily dropping, to a current 50. Calculated spot MPG on individual fills has been up to 59 MPG. Best gauge readings has been 63 MPG on M1 run down to London when 50mph speed restrictions were in place. Over Summer regularly saw around 47mpg (gauge reading) on most trips. However, with similar driving style this has now dropped to 42 MPG (gauge reading) since October, and without super pussyfooting is reluctant to improve anywhere near earlier Summer readings. The steadily dropping total average consumption comfirms this trend. I was starting to think that something was not quite right under the hood. The came across this thread, and the emphasis on 'Winter'. Not alone it seems. On the bright side - only 6 months to go until balmy summer days are back ! Useful poll.

13. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Also, you will use more fuel because on a cold start the engine will be giving itself extra fuel for a while until there is some temperature in the coolant. This obviously takes longer in winter because it's at a much lower temp than the summer to start with and also the cabin heater is almost certainly on flat out.

14. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

At the moment my MPG is ~42-44 and this has not changed a great deal since I pick up the car in September. I have found motorway runs with CC at 75mph only give about 42MPG indicated and as mentioned this drastically improves the closer you are to 60mph. My work driving is over 10 miles but limited to about 40mph with the occaisional and short up to 60mph. Considering this I am content with the MPG but would have liked a higher value at 70-75pmh. I find it difficult to comprehend how to get 900 miles out of tank unless stuck on CC at 55-60.MPG calculated based on miles completed, capacity of fuel tank and quantity of fuel added. I tend to run a full tank to empty (when the indicator light comes on ~60 miles remaining).

Last edited: Monday 10th Dec, 2012
  15. sparky Car sold. Getting Started

Just filled up after my first week in my I-DTEC Auto, 40 MPG on the computer, 45mpg calculated brim to brim over 445 miles of mixed driving.
    Well pleased for a 2.2 diesel automatic :OTT:.

Oh, should say that's on BP Ultimate diesel.

16. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    My 2011 Accord ES GT Diesel Tourer arrived this week and had 107 miles on the clock when it was delivered to me.

In the past couple of days I have covered just over 200 miles mostly on main single carriageway roads travelling at around 55-60 mph. The gauge showed 33 MPG on Trip Meter B on its arrival but I filled up straightaway and this has now increased to 44.2. My MPG on Trip Meter A, which was reset when I filled up, is showing 51.2.

My father always used to say that a car's MPG should improve gradually as the engine beds in and loosens up over time. This has certainly been the case on my wife's Golf Bluemotion but is this likely to apply to the I-DTEC too?

Incidentally I am loving being back in an Accord!

17. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

My 2.0 petrol auto does 34mpg around town and 42mpg on the motorway at 70 mph.

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Manual or Auto?

19. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    Sorry - should have made clear that it is a Manual.

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah ok cool.

Well, once run in a few more hundred miles, you should see your MPG get to 55 or more easily on regular m-way runs :Hooray: