Tyres & Wheels winter tyres index

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by brabra, Tuesday 24th Nov, 2015.

1. brabra Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Austria bra brno
    Does anyone have experience with the weight index for the winter tyres?

I have factory tyres on my accord 2.0 2014 executive 225/50/17 98V. Wish to buy 18 inc winter tyres, but the weignt index is only 95, i.e. there is the factory recommended 225/45/18 with only 95V index. Is this OK?

Thanks.

Bra

2. Masiv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mohammed Stalybridge
    Have a look at this
    TYRESAVE: Tyre Load Ratings
    Think you probably want to keep the "98" load rating.
    The "v" maybe slightly less critical - unless you bomb around at more than 130mph you could get "h"
    I suspect their could be insurance implications if you used less than "98" load rated tyres
    - - - Updated - - -
    Speed ratings
    TYRESAVE: Tyre Speed Ratings

3. brabra Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Austria bra brno
    I recived reply from dunlop-goodyear. The honda recomends replacent ture for a size up - 225/45/18 (factory 225/50/17) and in the same time request the weight index to be keept the same - 98.

Unfortunately, shame for honda illiteracy, but the recommended tyre size IS NOT PRODUCED IN 98 index.

The dunlop sugest that 95XL will be sufficient to replace 98 load index.

Here is the reply, so Honda should learn this:

"every tire size has its own load index. The load index is fixed by “The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation”. According to this standard 225/50R17 has the load index 94 or 98 extra load and 225/45R18 has 91 or 95 extra load. So 225/45R18 with load index 98 doesn´t exist. If the vehicle manufacturer allows tire size 225/45R18 load index 95 should be sufficiently.
    Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Goodyear Dunlop Tires Germany GmbH
    i.A. Jörg Wendt
    TECHNIKundTraining
    Tel.: (08 00) 130 51 31
    Fax : (08 00) 130 51 32
    Email: technikundtraining@goodyear-dunlop.com

Zebster likes this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You cannot use a lower speed rating on the grounds that you are going to drive a bit slower to make it OK!

5. brabra Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Austria bra brno
    I am noy using lower speed rating, it is still V, 95XL is for extra load reinfocred tyre. it is still V speed index "225.45.18 95XL V"
    - - - Updated - - -
    p.s. technician at dunlop-goodyear also advised that the lower tyre (recommended by honda) needs extra pressure (2,5 instead 2,3), but this is not giev anywhere in the user manual for accord. another miss by honda. do not know why they recommend the size 225/45/18 in the official accessory, and there is neither a tyre with the 98 load index (they also recommned) nor they advise that pressure should be increased to 2.5 bar due to low profile

6. Masiv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes you can as long as you don't exceed the speed rating. It is not illegal to use lower speed rated tyres. Obviously if you have reasonable expectation that you may exceed the speed rating then get a higher rated tyre.
    Some Winter tyres tyres are only available with lower ratings, typically “H" - max 130mph.
    Personally I don't drive above the national speed limit on the public road, so I could use H rated tyres.
    Insurance company that employ a modicum of common sense will not take issue with this. Of course it's always best to check with your own particular insurer to ensure you remain covered
    - - - Updated - - -
    TYRESAVE: UK Tyre Laws & Information

jimjams likes this.
  7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    No, it's not a criminal offence.

Using 'insurance company' and 'common sense' in the same sentence is unusual! I expect anyone who informs their insurer that they fitted tyres with an inadequate speed rating will be in for an unpleasant shock... Winter tyres are available in all speed ratings, so there isn't any sort of justification for using tyres with rating below that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. And how could the insurer possibly accept your word that you would only drive at a speed below the tyre rating?

The link you provided actually backs up the need for the tyre rating to at least match the manufacturers original figment.

8. Masiv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Perhaps you should have another read then
    In particular the bit about why a certain speed rating is fitted by the manufacturer.
    The rating could only be inadequate if you actually exceed the speed the tyre is suitable for.
    In the UK if you crashed and it was proven you were exceeding the speed limit EG 70mph on the motorway, legally it wouldn't matter if you had a tyre rated lower than OEM as long as it's rated higher than the speed you are travelling - but in itself this last point is irrelevant because you are exceeding the speed limit!

Let me give you an example
    Speed limit 70mph
    OEM tyres v rated
    You crash at 100mph
    Doesn't matter if you have H or V or even say R rated
    The important point is you are exceeding the speed limit hence breaking the law and not covered by insurance.

Tge speed rating would be more relevant if there were no speed limit or you are tracking/racing the car.

Incidentally I believe manufacturer stated top speed for 8g accord tourer I DTEC is 129mph
    So H rated is not OEM but still rated higher than quoted top speed.

jimjams likes this.
  9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Please let us know how you get on when you inform your insurer.

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I agree ....another example is a space-saver wheel, they are definitely not rated for high speeds, nor long distance, yet it is presumed that when one fits a space saver you will not exceed the recommendations. Same applies to using that glue stuff, etc, etc. So many examples where it is always assumed that a driver will drive within the limits of the tyres fitted, and the driver is supposed to inspect the tyres on the car before driving.