General Winter wheels and tyres

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G12, Monday 8th Oct, 2012.

1. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Since getting my Accord just under two weeks ago, I've been investigating winter wheels and tyres.
    I currently have 17's with the 225/50/17 rubber fitted but for winter wheels I'd like to go for a 16" wheel with say 205/60/16 rubber instead. Does anyone know what the correct wheel/tyre combo is in a 16" for a late 2008 tourer diesel? I'm particularly interested in getting the correct offset. I can't find any proper advice in the manual either. I'm used to a whole section with winter wheel/tyre options in previous German cars.

Last edited: Monday 8th Oct, 2012
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You may have issues going down a tyre size and TBH hold off until you see the white stuff. Last year there was a lot of winter tyres & socks available everywhere were for nothing.

3. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Well I generally fit them throughout the winter months anyway. They deal with standing water, slippery leaves, mud and low temperatures much better than any summer tyre and then the difference on snow, slush and ICE is just night and day. Been doing it for several years now since I discovered the benefits.

4. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    I've got to agree with you there - winter tyres are brilliant and the difference to running "all-weather" (often referred to as summer tyres) tyres is amazing.
    the difference in traction and grip has to be experienced to fully understand.

It's a common mis-conception that winter tyres are for snow - they are designed to work in lower temperatures and maintain their grip where "summer" tyres go "hard" and less grippy. The tread is also designed to work better should we get snow.

There is a train of thought now that says if you can't afford to have both "summer" and winter tyres, then you are probably better of with just a set of winters, as the advantages or winter tyres in winter far outweigh the disadvantages of using them in summer - namely slightly less grip. Obviously this may not be the case if you drive like Schumacher!!

Cheers, Pete.

5. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Agreed. I've driven on winter rubber through a British summer with no problems although it wasn't exactly in a performance car.

6. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Using a winter tyres through the summer is wrong! I wouldn't recommend to anyone. It's not only the loss of car's performance. It's dangerous! Winter tyres can overheat very quick and especially driving longer distances on motorway (higher speed) tyres got an increased possibility to blow up! And even if you'll be lucky not to blow up your winter tyres through the summer, you'll simply use them out much quicker. When the next winter comes - your tyres will have much lower tread.
    Basically it's same as to use summer tyres on temperatures below +7c and to use winter tyres on temperatures above +7c.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Notice how I used the phrase BRITISH summer. I would agree that when the temperatures are proper summer temps like you get abroad then winter rubber is a bad idea.

8. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Oh, and when the next winter comes I have nice new tyres :Smile:

You are technically correct on the +/-7c issue although I doubt you'd provoke a blowout in the uk with normal driving.

Oddly enough, the set of tyres I refer to on this occasion were the longest lasting set I ever had on that car by a country mile. Michelin Alpin PA3's.

Last edited: Friday 19th Oct, 2012
  9. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I don't wanna start to argue. Everyone has different preferences, different driving style and different understanding in safety. If you are one of those who drive slower than a HGVs on a motorway, perhaps you'll be happy with your winter tyres during the summer. And don't say the BRITISH summer is +7c degrees or so. We get nice days aswell! And if you get +25c and travel on 80-90 mph with winter tyres on - that's a danger!

Personally me, I drive hard even in the city streets and I drive on motorways on almost every day basis. I demand a lot from my tyres. And I don't take a risks - as soon as temperatures drops down, I change to winter ones, and I do the same once the spring comes.

But once again, if you're a Jazz owner, use any rubber on it :Wink: Or in other choice, if you really want to keep the same tyres set all around the year - all season tyres would be the optimum choice.

10. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Chiil intruder!!

.....hence my "Schumacher" reference - and no I don't drive like a granny.

There are several UK motoring organisations that condone the choise of winter tyres as being potentially beneficial if you can only have one set of tyres.

I wouldn't do 90MPH either on winter tyres either - in fact I only got around to swapping out my winter tyres in July this year - I was still waiting for Summer to arrive:Whistle:. However the prospect of a 1000 mile continental cruise at sustained 90mph in August was enough impetus to swap them over.

Yes winter's will wear slightly more if use use them in Summer, but then summer's will wear more in Winter too - it's swings and roundabouts.

As you basically say horses for courses - it sounds like winter rubber would be dangerous for you in summer, but not in everybody's case - it's all down to driving style.

The size of modern tyres and expectations of their performace have a lot to do with driving style. Most cars are now way over-tyred - meaning huge amounts of grip in good conditions, but in cold/wet conditions, the wider profile just means less grip. The slightly reduced grip from winter tyres in summer is akin to the more sensibly sized tyres that used to be fitted to cars.

But bigger wheels and tyres look nicer (and generate more revenue for manufacturers) - I'll have 17" on my 7th Generation when I get it as they look better than 16's.

Cheers, PEte.

11. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm chilled now! I've got my lunch poping hot infront of me :Tea:

Let's leave everyone to sort tyres issue on their own understandings.
    If you would ask me, I would say it's a waste of winter rubber if u drive through the summer. And very similar when you use summer tyres in winter time. Despite all danger factors of skid, you'll get summer rubber becoming harder, not responsive to car's handling, eventually there's a high chance your tyre will start to crack on sides.

BTW, I would advice to reduce your winter tyre pressure just a little bit comparing to summer. Just to let your tyre be a bit softer during the cold days.

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Anybody know whether "all season" tyres like the Vredestein Quartrac Lite are any good...i.e. do they offer the benefits claimed by the manufacturer?

13. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I use the phrase British summer with more reference to the excessive rain rather than the temperature. The winter rubber copes with heavy rain and standing water very well I find.
    I will add that I spend most of my time not in the South East where 35c is possible but in Cornwall and Scotland where I rarely see much over 25c.
    I have also used Uniroyal Rainsport 2's with good results in standing water during the summer months but they hate autumnal leaves on damp roads, that's where the winter's go back on the car.

14. lhazelden Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello all,
    I've just acquired a 2008 Accord EX GT diesel saloon (8th Generation), and have been following these discussions. Does anybody have an answer to the original question, namely the appropriate 16 inch wheels to use for winter tyres on this type of Accord (which normally runs on 17 inch wheels).
    I have been looking around for a set of the 16 inch wheels that are fitted as standard to more basic spec versions of the current Accord, but there are none on eBay being sold as a set. There are, however, lots of 16 inch wheels from 7th Generation Accords. Would these fit (correct offset etc)?
    If anybody knows, please shout!
    Thank you.

15. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I gave up trying and just bought some winter rubber for the 17's.
    I bet a dealer could probably answer the question.
    I think there are some 16's on the tyremen website if I remember but I wasn't so sure about the style.

16. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah the 17" tyres in our profiles are pricey.

Have a look on my tyres.

Complete wheels - Tyres online @ mytyres.co.uk

They sell complete wheel and tyre sets alloys or steels, shipped from Germany where winter tyres are the norm, so fairly well priced also.

17. fizz New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Fizz Leeds
    I got mine from Mytyres last year. They are 215/60 x 16. I got the wheel and tyre combination as I wanted to get a thinner tyre with a larger sidewall than my 18's.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Blimey Andy your first post for a year! come on bud show us your Type-S. Good day to post as it AOC first birthday!

19. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    The question you asked was what size on a 16" rim. I have a 2008 I dtci saloon and the tyres on it is 16" 205 55 91 V. Get your winter tyres and feel safe.

20. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I use mytyres.co.uk too. Previously bought summer & winter tyres for my previous car. Not a single problem. Competitive prices.