General Wiper Recommendation and Help

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Sunday 22nd Nov, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    My driver's side wiper is playing up... it wipes fine on the upward stroke, but when it wipes back down, and encounters the water left by the left hand wiper, it doesn't wipe this away, but just spreads it. Is this a bad / dirty wiper? Wiper arm not pushing down hard enough ? Diry windscreen (doubt it as I clean regularly) ?

Also, can someone recommend some good quality wipers for a 7th Generation Civic ?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Do you clean your wipers blades when you clean your screen ?

You could have a build up of grease on the blades.

RogerH69 likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate that can two things to cause this chatter. A the blade is too cold and its frozen, or the windscreen has ingrained debris like TFR, war and tarmac which is causing this chatter.

Try getting the wiper blade up to ,temperature first luke warm water will help then check how it performs if that does not cure it , clay the wide-screen and use de-iron product to leave the glass silky smooth.

If both fail then your blade is toast.

Nels and RogerH69 like this.
  4. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Not sure on brand recommendations, used Bosch for the last couple of years or so.
    They seem to have made it for over a year before doing similar to what you mention above. Just swapped for Halfords own brand, so shall see how they fare...

Also been using one of the more upmarket screen sealants for a little while which requires some intensive prep to aid the bonding process. This banishes most of the ingrained crud from the glass and once sealed helps prevent anything further sticking, including ICE and bugs etc.
    Screen coatings can be a bit marmite, but between that and my modded wiper switch the wipers get used much less anyway.

RogerH69 likes this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks guys. I'll give the screen a good going over and see how it goes.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Any joy Roger?

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I gave the screen a good clean, which helped for a couple of days. I noticed that both sides were doing it, but mostly the driver's side.

I then went to Halfords and got a new wiper blade for the driver's side (spent a lil extra and got one with the spoiler on), and so far it seems much better. I'll see how it goes in some proper rainy weather. With me only replacing driver's side, I can compare as well.
    - - - Updated - - -
    FYI - The blade I got is the Bosch SP24S.

8. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    i bought some a few ages from halfords, there where BOSCH, and where there best ones, got 2 and installation for about £23, I've got same car as you too