wishbone bushes

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by motorbikelover, Sunday 20th Mar, 2016.

1. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    Well at last I've got round to doing some work on the accord, partly due to the front roll bar drop link pulling apart. I also needed to do the front lower wishbone bushes so decided to get it all done together.

I work in a garage and have all the tools I need, such as a press but I just decided to do this how many people have to and make it up as you go along.

First job remove wishbone, there are other guides on this already that are in more detail than I will go into, so basic details follow :-
    • Prize out honda centre cap from wheel
    • Undo wheel hub nut/ now remove wheel
    • Undo bolts holding strut to wishbone/and both wishbone to subframe
    • Remove split pins from bottom ball joint and track rod end and undo nuts but do not remove (make sure nuts are not tight on the thread if so oil them) with a hammer release the track rod end and remove it then release the bottom ball joint then remove the nut.
    • You can now pull the drive shaft out of the hub and release the wishbone.
    • With the wishbone in the vice clean around the bush area and mark were your old bush is by using a datum mark (i used the 2 raised marks on the bush but there are 2 arrows if they have not worn away like mine had)
    • Next bit is for the man with no press. Drill a number of holes in the rubber webs to make them collapes or cut them with a sharp blade (see picture)
    • Now cut through the steel case of the BUSH with a hack saw and knock it out and clean up the hole. (make sure you cut the bush on the thick side of the arm not the outer part).
    • As you will see i used all manner of nuts bolts and washers and an immersion heater spanner and 2 files not a pretty sight but it did the job. (i did the other side on the press).
    • You can now refit the wishbone as per removal
    I fitted 2 new roll bar drop links i bought off ebay they are made in germany by myler and are very good quality and at £40 for the pair much cheaper than honda (£45 x vat each).

2016-03-19 13.29.46. 2016-03-19 13.27.52.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 21st Mar, 2016
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A good job done there David, but it's very difficult to read when the text is one solid block and very long sentences.
    Could you break it up please so it's easier for other members to follow?

3. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Never was any good at righting.
    I put it down to climbing trees and rideing bikes when i was young.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If I get chance, I'll try and sort it out for you, but it really depends on finding some time.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've got a pair of new arms to fit... Is it really necessary to remove the hub nut and pull the driveshaft out of the hub to remove the suspension arms from the car?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @motorbikelover I've done it for you. Hope the new layout is OK by you.

@Zebster no, I would leave the gearbox side of the driveshaft alone.

Nels likes this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

8. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes thats fine must try harder.
    Now can you come down here and sort this accord out.
    This car does not like me to be happy or pleased with it. Last week i am happy price of gas down 3 pence, Ten miles on it snapped a roll bar link.

This morning first drive after re bushing wishbones and drop links and doing the tappets the car now feels a whole lot better and runs smother I pat her on the roof and tell her how good she is.

Tonight get in the car to come home running great 10 miles up the road engine management light comes on (BITCH) just happen to have my £12 code reader in the car and plug it in code P0171 running lean bank 1. I will plug it in to the £1900 snap on scanner tomorrow. HMMMMMMM.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry just saw the comment from @Zebster about drive shafts .
    I could not get clearance to get the wishbone out so it was either boot off the inner or nut off the outer or gas axe.

Zebster likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LPG system needs tuning.

10. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is no big deal to get the hub nut off just leave the wheel on the ground and go through the centre cap hole with a socket and long bar i used a 3/4 drive and a scaffold tube to undo it and it just pulled out you will see what i mean when you do it. Do not forget to put the car on the floor to tighten the bolts (i know i do not need to tell you that)
    - - - Updated - - -
    I did not know the LPG system was tuneable , tomorrow when the car is cold i will switch the gas off and see what happens on petrol only.Is the tuneing a diy job or will it have to go in to a LPG fitting centre ( i have one local), By the way whats your take on system cleaners.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You need to have an understanding of the LPG system to be able to tune it. So its not a DIY task as such.

A service and tune up will probably cost you between £35 and £50.

Let me check with my LPG contacts to see if anyone knows a reliable LPG garage near you. There's a hell of a lot of cowboys out there in the LPG game.

12. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for that. Meanwhile i will see what happens on petrol tomorrow. BEDTIME

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The code won't go away immediately, you can clear it and then run on petrol, if you want.

14. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Codes gone I wiped it with the code reader. It did not come back on when I restarted but it was hot then. See what tomorrow brings

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It takes a while for the long term fuel trim to average out to the max lean limit. So you could clear it and then drive on LPG for a couple of days before it comes back. It all depends on how far off tune the LPG system is.

16. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ref em light drove to work on petrol only no LPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ref em light
    Drove to work on petrol only no LPG no light came on drove perfect. drove home on petrol for ten miles then changed on to gas no problem for rest of ride home. Just gone out in it with engine still hot ON gas light is now on AGAIN. So it must be the gas but this has only started since i set the tappets. When i set the tappets i put an old pillow on the gas injection system to avoid breaking any thing and it runs fine on gas but i will check tomorrow and make sure nothing is amiss ps just scanned it again got same code.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I already told you that the issue is the LPG system needs tuning.
    I already told you that driving on Petrol you won't see the light won't come on.
    I already told you switching back to LPG will not trigger the light immediately, it will take sometime.
    You needn't have gone to all the trouble of trying to do all that diagnoses.

Unless you have caused a slight vacuum leak somewhere, the work you have done won't have caused the issue but hey what do I know huh !

Do your checks but if you don't find any issues, get the car to an LPG place and get the system tuned. Running lean for a long period is bad for the engine.

Last edited: Wednesday 23rd Mar, 2016
    Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  18. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok clearly i have upset you by doing this test. I am all ways grateful for any advice i get from this site and indeed yourself you being an expert on gas and myself knowing nothing other than petrol or diesel.

I am getting on a bit and my back does not allow me to bend over engines in cars doing tappets for any lenth of time hence the pillow on the gas manifold. When doing jobs like this it is possable to dislodge pipes to the manifold and cause an air leak the flash lube pipe is only a push fit and could get pulled off being one example.

By running the car on petrol only for 60 mile with no problem told me there nothing wrong with the petrol side as an air leak would have have put the light on and you were right the gas IS the problem but the light may have come back on and it could have been an air leak.

I will get the car booked in next month and have the gas system serviced and certified as i have no paper work for the system at all.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The frustration was that you take the time to offer someone sound advice and they blatantly go and ignore it and do something totally different.

So you ask yourself, what's the point in me bothering ?

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was not ment like that at all and I'm sorry you feel this way . But if that's the way you feel it's time to call time.my way or no way is no way to run a club.