Giveaway Wishbones/ Compliance bush repair?

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by Simes, Thursday 18th Aug, 2016.

1. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

image. image. I've just replaced my front wishbones, so if anyone would like to replace their compliance bushes by pressing in replacements on these in advance of doing the swap, it might be a cheap and quick approach.

I have top and bottom wishbones, drop links and ball joints for both sides, with only the nearside compliance bush really goosed.

I'm in Leicester if you want to collect.

See this thread: Compliance bush failed (Suspension, Steering and Brakes - )

Cheers, Simon.

2. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Too far for me but an excellent opportunity for some powder coating and poly bush installation :Smile:

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The metal outer rim of the old compliance bush is still in the arm, so that would need pressing out first, and it might take some shifting. When i got mine pressed out one of the arms snapped in the press!

Having done this job as a DIY I wouldn't even consider doing it that way again - in future I'll be buying complete new arms beforehand and just swapping them.

But each to their own.

Zebster and Simes like this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    pressing out bushes is an art the press head and the pusher have to bob on and flush allowing the pusher to slide the ID of the compliance bush cleanly without interference . ideally the bushes should be heated with a torch to make the metal expand a bit.

The press is applying great force so breakages will happen if its not flush.

Zebster likes this.
  5. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    I've got a 4 tonne bench press and you better make sure what ever you are pressing is 100% square otherwise you're going to get shot by something rather unpleasant probably in the face...

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Getting a large socket exactly flush on that corroded ring, then getting the whole setup exactly square.....not easy with a high margin for error....just to reuse a tired 10 year old arm.....as I say, each to their own, but not for me thanks.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I would have considered having a new compliance bush pressed in when mine failed, but each arm has two other bushes that obviously will have also suffered wear.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  8. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's why I went for this:
    HONDA ACCORD VTEC CTDi 03-08 UPPER LOWER WISHBONE ARM BALL JOINT MEYLE HD LINK | eBay
    Thinking that whilst doing all the work, I might as well put new bits on as I want to keep the car.
    But not everyone has the same budget to play with.
    - - - Updated - - -
    That's why I went for this:
    HONDA ACCORD VTEC CTDi 03-08 UPPER LOWER WISHBONE ARM BALL JOINT MEYLE HD LINK
    Thinking that whilst doing all the work, I might as well put new bits on as I want to keep the car.
    But not everyone has the same budget to play with.
    - - - Updated - - -

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Cutting a small section out with a hacksaw is my preferred method. You can then simply tap the bush out and pressing the bush in is a doddle. Must have been a fair bit of pressure to break the lower arm! Never seen that happen before!!!!

hondream and Simes like this.
  10. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Still available.