Engine & Gearbox Wobble under Acceleration

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Tuesday 17th Feb, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Again,

Sorry another question, I hope to be able to provide answers as well once I get to know my Honda!

My car seems to suffer from very mild wobbling under heavy acceleration at higer speeds. Symptoms don't fit with Wheel Balance so I think its something else. I think I read somewhere this could be due to drivshaft issues. Anyone got any ideas?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wobbling, like body roll or vibration as in some juddering ?

The diesel do tend be hard on their driveshafts, so could be juddering from them.

3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Yuh its a kind of juddering, clearly linked to wheel speed rather than engine speed. Similar kind of frequency to a wheel balance problem but only under acceleration.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That'll be your drive shafts. Get them checked out Ned.

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Anyone have any experience of this problem, what it is caused by? Prognosis?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The cause is the torque of the diesel engine put strain on the drive shafts which eventually wear out.

Search the forum you'll come across some instances of it.

Solution just change out the worn out driveshaft.

7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
  8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok looks like you can get full replacement drive shafts from Euro Car parts for £127 per side at the moment. Probs not going to be quite up to OEM scratch but seems pretty reasonable for a car this age. Probs go for that.

I am pretty happy to fit them myself, will need to head back to my garage in Suffolk though, need my long torque wrench and some proper lifting gear!

Will see if I can get the whole lot looked at just to be sure its not anyting other than the drive shafts. Oly thing I can think of is the bearings for the intermediary shaft.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    See if you can make a DIY if you manage to do it yourself. Most CTDI's are getting on a bit now so this problem will start appearing more often.

10. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland jimmy1973 Ballymena
    I was getting a woble in mine, but had 2 different brands of tyres on the front wheels. I've since fitted 2 new tyres and the problem has gone.

11. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    My tires are both the same and good condition, the issue also only occurs under acceleration so I am reasonably certain that it is the Drive Shafts.

I will make a guide if I do the work, have done a fair few guides in the past with my peugeots. I will be learning on the job but thats the way I like it! Will save a fair bit of money too! It looks relitivley straight forward. Will just need to have her up high so I can figure out how all the suspension geometry is attached and wat can be disconected to move the hub assembly out.

12. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    First problem is that the main nut on the hub is bigger than my biggest 32mm socket. Reckon its a 36, anyone know off the top of their heads?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It'll be one of the two 32mm or 36mm.

(fat lot of use answer was huh LOL)

14. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Well I ruled out 32 as I have one of those so actually pretty good!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Next question is what the Torque settings are :Tongue: I need to find a decent workshop manual! Havent found one yet...
    - - - Updated - - -
    This job will probably need to wait till easter when I also plan to fit a tow bar. Won't be doing too many miles till then though so hopefully should be alright. Only use this for occasional weekend trips. My daily hack is a bicycle :Tongue:

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I can't remember for sure what the torque is for the Spindle Nut, 185Nm seems to ring a bell.

That needs confirming though.

16. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Thanks, I have ordered a set of new driveshafts and some suspension components, will report back with how this goes!

Also got driveshaft to change on a mini bus so will be a long day!

17. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    @SpeedyGee Thanks for advising me to do this. Did the job over the last few days and it has fixed the problem completely. I will post a full guide shortly.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You're welcome Ned and thanks for doing a guide, just reading it now. Looks very thorough :Thumbup:

19. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel