General Won't select reverse?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by more-door-Accord, Monday 5th Nov, 2012.

1. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hey everyone another problem with the accord NOT HAPPY!!

almost regretting leaving the german scene!!! atm....

just driven home from the fireworks display with the little one :Smile: and tried to reverse into the drive and it wouldn't select reverse! it had driven home brilliantly all the normal gears selected fine but i was literally hanging off it, i pumped the clutch pedal with no success

Has the clutch gone? or is it more serious!

:Frown:

2. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    not sure if the Honda has a hydraulic or a cable clutch, will the car still drive forward.? If it drives forward ok then that rules out the clutch, try and select reverse with the engine not running,can you hear it select the gear? Try on a level surface and see if you can push the car like this, it should when in gear lock the engine then when you take it out of gear the car should roll, this would prove the gear is selecting ok ,sounds like something possibly on the linkage.

3. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there some sort of a solenoid operated part or pin that stops the gear going into reverse when moving forward .?? Perhaps this is stuck in closed position...

4. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What age is the Accord, how many miles, petrol or diesel?

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As mcgowanp suggested, there is a solenoid which stops you selecting reverse when you are travelling forward, if this is faulty it would cause the problem. As the car selects every other gear and drives perfectly fine there isn't an issue with the clutch or your hydraulics.

6. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

car is a 99 model 2 litre with 135k on the clock. car drives forward fine, I did realise that lightly releasing the clutch pedal allowed it to go into reverse but doen't go back as easy, the other thing was when the car was on tick over there was a squeak sound then when the clutch pedal was pressed it went quiet????anyone any ideas

if its the selenoid wold i just need to buy a new one or can the origianl be saved?

thanks for your comments everyone good to know there's help when i need it :Smile:

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

At 13 years old the gearbox and clutch could be a bit dodgy, thats fair wear and tear.

Maybe Ichiban knows whats wrong, sounds like either the clutch or the release hydraulics.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    show me a german car with 135k and at that age with out a problem and i will shave my head and walk arround my local shopping centre naked sporting a natzi salute. i am affriad buying any car at that age and mileage even with hondas fine reputation you will find many components that are reaching the end of there lives! you won't know how previous owners have driven the car. get a good opinion from someone who knows a bit about your car, honda. phone arround and get a price, a good dealer may not even charge you a full hour.

Ichiban likes this.
  9. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cheers Beefy :Smile:

only thing i can say though is my old golf 2nd Generation gti was a G reg it had 14owners (6 of them i knew - 1 was my uncle haha) that had 170k on it from when i sold it 4 years ago and still drives around the guy has done nothing to it for the last 4 MOTs asked him the other weekend whats the mileage he said its on 238K now still drives like new. I'm a big fan of the older generation vw's not so keen on anything after the 2nd Generation golfs really haha.

but it was honda reputation that lead me to go for one as a sensible family car as the german alternatives Passat/Bora/A4 etc aren't my favourite models, boras are ok i suppose but they were all selling at £1500 plus for one with less than 140k.

I've taken it to my mechanic now whos had a good look and says its a linkage problem but from what hes seen he thinks something under the gearstick area has been fiddled with at somepoint so he's done a full check around says it's a really solid car as a whole, even though I've had problems since i bought it i do believe the V-TEC bug has got me well a truely within its teeth!!! I MISS MY ACCORD!!! :Frown:

It's getting a full valeting when i get it back and maybe a nice pair of shoes!! hopefully i'll get it back by friday! it's like christmas.......1 MORE SLEEP!! :Happy:

10. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

right had the honda back....drove for one day and now it will only selct reverses and with a huge amount of force it'll select 2nd??

New gearbox???

11. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Take it back to your mechanic cos he's obviously not fixed it, maybe even made it worse?

As for the squeek how loud is it? I had a Civic that did that but it wasn't that noticeable and it did it for over 100k miles so I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets louder. It's probably the clutch release bearing.

12. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah defo worse...now it won't select any gearstick its just floppy...... with slight resistance side to side.....Clutch is smelly too

OFFICIALLY THE WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED!! (that includes a little 1litre polo with 156k on it 6 years ago that's still going!!)

13. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    if the car drove forward ok, and now drives in reverse it will mean all gears are selectable so no problem with the box, if it drove forward and selected the gears as normal that would suggest that the clutch is ok, so only leaves the gear selector to the box,this could be cable or mechanicle linkage I,m not sure which but any decent mechanic should be able to sort,

14. GavTS Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It seems you need to find a decent mechanic, this type of thing should be fairly easy diagnose for an expert. I would demand my money back if I collected my car and it was in a worse state than I left it.

15. more-door-Accord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

He didn't charge me fairplay, he got it to select all gears again just took another crunch now won't select anything!!

the gearstick is now sloppy and won't select anything, had a mate come over to watch the linkage move in the engine bay and it moves when i move the stick?