Optional Extras Wood grain/sport OEM steering wheel

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by timkk, Friday 2nd Oct, 2015.

1. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,
    I have finally managed to buy and install wood grain steering wheel in my Legend! It was an extra accessory in EU/USA but I couldn't find any info about it in the UK brochure and as such it might be the only one on UK roads :Wink:. Steering wheel itself is much better than a standard one. It's got better tackier leather with nice thumb bolsters and is also a little bit thicker. It completes the look of the car, IMHO. One last thing I would love to add would be an OEM wood grain gearshift knob but I think it's going to be impossible to find used. IMG_20151002_184117.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That looks well cool. Great little mod :Thumbup:

timkk likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Now that does look as though it was there from the beginning. :likeit:
    :goodluck: with the search for the gear knob. You just never know what will turn up!

timkk likes this.
  4. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    That looks really nice. Would love to know where you got it from. I definitely want one!

Would be very grateful if you could tell me where you got it from and how, and how you went about fitting one please!

5. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got it from the USA. Set your filter for something like "OEM acura rl wood steering wheel" on ebay.com. They come and go every now and then. I've fitted it myself, as long as you've got some DIY car skills you should be able to do it yourself. You can find step by step instructions online :Smile:.

Sadsack and Nels like this.
  6. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well I guess its eBay every day until I get one!

Does anyone know if that was an option in the UK? If so may give a dealer a ring for a price.

Thanks timkk

7. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So couldn't wait and I have no idea who to trust when ordering from overseas etc so managed to get H-Tune to source me a new OEM Acura Wooden steering wheel and some OEM visors.

Well excited and thank you timkk for the heads up on the steering wheel.

timkk likes this.
  8. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's great, good choice ! OEM visors? I was thinking about getting them as well but was afraid that they would spoil the look of the car. Please, do post pictures after you have them installed, I might buy them if they look good! Could you also pay attention to wind noise levels pre and post installation? I wonder how this changes too.

9. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Of course, least I can do.

However I have to say not that good when it comes to noise etc. Very little bugs me and I am not that perceptive of wind noise etc but shall certainly try.

The visors are something I've always wanted. Tried to get some Mugen ones a few years back but cost of £300 put me off. Then when i changed my mind a few months later they had gone up to £400 I think. So I left that at that. Since then I do not think there are any Mugen parts available for the Legend which is a real shame.

10. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi timkk

Have had the wind visors installed and have to say not noted any difference in wind noise at all cruising on the motorway. If anything, it's nice to have windows rolled down a fraction and get a little air into the car without all the whoosing going on inside the cabin.

Looks wise I would say they are ok. Between the front and rear doors, there is a little bit of a break in the flow of the visor design which looks a little off. This is why I really wanted the Mugen ones as they were apparently meant to appear as one piece going front front to rear, but I just waited too long on those and lost out a few years ago so my bad!

Will post some proper pics of them in the next few weeks so keep an eye out (not literally cos having an eye out would look a little gross and most likely hurt a little :lol:)

All in all a good purchase and I am glad I have finally got them. Now on to finding something else!

Nels, timkk and SpeedyGee like this.
  11. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Sadsack how about adding some pictures to your garage entry? - The perfect place for them.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I like the one with the wood on it Tim, but hey, it's your money I'm spending here. :Grin: