Off-Topic World Health Organisation Warning - Diesel Fumes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 3rd Jul, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    While the research now shows that diesel fumes have been proven to be carcinogenic, the classification is still very ambiguous covering everything from sunlight to wood dust to asbestos. Group 1 says it will, but it doesn't give an indication to the likelihood of it happening. I think they need to apply a scale to the group 1 category to give some sort of perspective. I'd rather breathe in diesel fumes than asbestos dust. lol

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Time to make removal of an OE fitted DPF an MOT fail.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Considering the prevalence of them being removed I can see that making it into the MOT rules by 2014.

So not only am I killing the environment with sulphur by putting 2 stroke in my diesel I'm also killing people with cancer. I'm going to call that a win - win! :OTT:

5. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Technically*, it's already an MOT failure to remove the CAT, so I wouldn't be surprised if that includes the DPF (and isn't the Accord DPF integral with the CAT anyway?).

*Since the beginning of 2012, although the rules weren't being enforced until the end of March IIRC to allow people time to adjust. Turns out the rules are still not being enforced until 'sometime later this year' while some legal niceties are being sorted out. Until then I think you just get an advisory...

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Removing the cat on a petrol car will cause a MOT failure because it will immediately cause the emissions to exceed allowed levels and has done for several years now. So i think the rule to ban removing it is more a technicality. But i think the problem with diesels is because they're only measured on soot levels currently the testing equipment isn't sensitive enough to detect the removal of a DPF. I can see interrogation of the ECU becoming part of the MOT to detect when the last regen cycle took place to make sure it hasn't been removed and disabled.

7. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Would a visual inspection not show a missing DPF? Diesel particles have been know to be carcinogenic for years! why the fuss now? The evidence has been about for consumption for at least 6 year that I am aware of. I agree that all diesels should have them fitted and the law should be enforced - much like it's not with cats illegal boy racer exhausts illegal number plates illegal HID kits blah blah blah list goes on

You see this stuff day in day out but I have never seen anyone pulled for their plate or illegal exhaust (unless they were on a bike)... Come on plod get with the program..

:Smile:

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Problem with a visual inspection is owners are having the DPF mapped out then getting a broom handle and removing the inners of the DPF just leaving the casing. Effectively having a stealth DPF as such. Tighter emissions tests will likely require the purchase of new emissions testing probes causing testers expense. So I think interrogating the ECU for it's last regen cycle will be the way forward. The ECU will show an error as this parameter is removed from the map when the DPF is deleted.

Diesel fumes have long been regarded as 'Group 2A a substance probably causing cancer in humans, but it has now been classed as Group 1 a substance known to cause cancer in humans. That's why the recent fuss, the scientific research and confirmation from probable to known.

9. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    In some US cities like Savannah, Georgia, there is a higher incidence of lung disease. And, they've been speculating about the cause for awhile. Perhaps diesel exhaust could be to blame. There are so many reasons these things can happen though. We'll see over time of classifying this as a carcinogen helps cut down instances of lung cancer, now that the public has been warned.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That's why I like the states were petrol still rules!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To all those people who want to remove DPF read this!

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally I don't think they should add any more tax onto diesel cars any more than any other car.

Successive Governments have encouraged diesel - especially as company cars - in spite of environmental evidence. Petrol cars aren't blameless either, and neither are hybrids (at least not in the manufacturing process).

I'm not sure what the answer is. Once upon a time I would have said scrappage schemes to get some of the more polluting older cars off the road, but with the VAG scandal I'm not convinced they ARE more polluting any more!

I'm broadly in favour of abolishing VED, with a small increase on taxation of fuel. Those that drive the most miles then pay the most, and the rush to lower reported emissions, which we have seen are manipulated by most manufacturers, would be reduced. The other option would be higher VAT on cars with higher emissions in order to encourage buyers - and manufacturers - to go for efficiency.

It's one very complex area, but I agree with the article that an anti-diesel knee jerk would neither be beneficial nor especially fair.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thank you VW thank you the diesel backlash has started and the pendulum won't stop its a matter of time.

Previous governments ( Labour )introduced fiscal incentives to persuade drivers to choose diesel over petrol: in 2001, the Labour government reduced the tax on low sulphur diesel and drivers were told that diesel fuel emitted less CO2 and was better for the environment, well done labour now see the sinking ship.

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    A diesel engined car does emit less CO2 than the equivalent petrol engined car (which is why we pay less VED) and, internationally, there has been a lot of pressure on countries to reduce their CO2 emissions. CO2 is a known contributor to global climate change.

Petrol contains benzene... which is also a carcinogen. No cars are environmentally friendly.

16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    This one is (and quite a few more like it) ....

13101-solarcar_banner.

As are battery-powered cars when you consider that there is more power into the grid from wind turbines (and solar electric) than power taken out by battery-powered cars (in this country and many others at the moment)

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That's not really a car, more a technology demonstrator. And it still generated pollution during construction, plus more when eventually decommissioned.
    Nevertheless, the grid is not solely reliant upon wind and solar power, so battery-driven cars still use a high proportion of electricity generated from the burning of fossil fuels. As well as lovely clean, reliable nuclear... the only sensible way to generate power.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lower Nox and not for fit purpose MOT testing regime in the UK makes these so called lower C02 a farce.