Suspension, Steering and Brakes Worn part in steering

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Stuart, Friday 11th Sep, 2015.

1. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi,

54 Accord Tourer diesel, 149k

Apologies in advance for the tortuous explanation that follows but, while I'm hot stuff on bikes, I'm less so on cars ...

One of the local indies had the car up on a ramp quickly because I'd noticed a wear band right at the outside edge of the offside front tread.

On the nearside front wheel, he grabbed the tyre at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions and showed me a small amount of side-to-side movement; I assumed wheel bearing but he turned the wheel fully to the right and pointed to a horizontal rod towards the back of the wheel, behind the main axle/suspension; the other end of the rod goes to the steering rack, this rod is allowing that small amount of side-to-side movement without the steering being turned.

What's this rod called, is it safe to assume it's the rod that's worn and not some other part of the steering, what's the likely replacement cost? The car is due a service in less than a 1000 miles but the MOT is due in a couple of months, when the car will definitely need new front tyres. Just trying to get an idea of the costs I'm letting myself in for.

The wear band on the offside front tyre? The front of the plastic mudguard liner had come loose and was rubbing on the tyre at speed, then moving away from it at rest. :Smile:

Regards,

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Stuart Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart
    Hi,

Yep, that looks like the beastie. Hopefully it is the outer one that's worn, replacing the inner can only be more expensive ... :Frown:

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Shouldn't cost too much for either, those parts aren't too expensive and it's about an hours labour to change them.