Engine & Gearbox Worrying Discovery?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Thursday 26th Feb, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok So I am slowly working through replacing driveshafts.

I just removed the Offside shaft from the gearbox housing expecting a gush of transmission fluid....Nothing.

I am now quite concerned that I have been running with little or no Transmission fluid. The last fluid change was done by a proper Honda dealer.

2 Questions:

1. Is the normal transmission fluid height higher than the driveshaft connection points (Im sure it should be)

2. Any idea how this could have happened? Surely I would have noticed something negative if I had not transmission fluid...

Not a great discovery, the history of this car looks increasingly dubious....

Appreciate any input.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Between the shaft seals, bearings and then differential there's a lot "in the way" to stop any oil coming out - surely this is by design? I wouldn't be too worried, most people drain the transmission fluid before actually removing the shafts, I'd just renew the fluid at the end - as you say you would notice if there was any major issues with the gearbox.

Any work I've done on transmissions has been with @SpeedyGee, so I'll leave him to give you a more informed response, I'm stabbing in the dark :Smile:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You should get some oil come out, not a huge amount but some nonetheless.

As @DeviateDefiant now is good time for a drain and renew of MTF.

4. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Was intending to renew MTF, have a few litres of Honda MTF standing by. I did notice that the ends of the shafts are oily (Light oil, not grease), just a bit perplexed.

Either way I will refill it and make sure its the right level. Just wondering if there are any common leakage points?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The driveshaft seals (on the gearbox) can leak.

6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    No obvious signs of oil anywhere around the gearbox. Seems unlikely it would still drive so smooth if it had done 30k with no TF?

7. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

done quite a few driveshafts different models different makes not had any oil come out only what was on spline

8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok cool, won't panic too much then!

TBH I probably should have drained the oil first, but there you go. Learn on the job!

Now have the new OS Shaft installed. Weirdly the old one feels completely fine, but I am guessing you can't really tell the condition except when its loaded.