Off-Topic Would you buy 13 Plate new Car or Bike

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 31st Jul, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The 13 plate won't be here till the 1st of March 2013, but for the superstitious amongst us this number will the deciding factor.

With Honda dealers across the country already struggling to sell cars in large numbers would the 13 plate be the bad omen to stop people buying their new car. When the new CR-V the new Civic 1.6 being launched towards the later part of this year.The last thing you want is people shying away, the wider ramification what would the aftersale value of car with a 13 plate can be cripple the owners investment.

What are your views if you were on the market to by a new Honda Car or Bike would the 13 plate delay or even get you to buy a 62 plate.

Or will owners just bypass the 13 plate with a personalised plate? This has not gained enough momentum as of yet but if the manufacturers get a petition to DVLA this could be overturned and get 14 plate forwarded by a year.

2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally it wouldn't bother me and i'd put my plate on it anyway. Just a few quid short for a 13 plate though that's the only problem.

I doubt DVLA would skip the 13 plate though.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    13 has been unlucky for me,If i was on the market for bike or car I will give 13 a miss for sure.

4. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting - not really thought about it. Might be put off a bit and wait for the 63 if I were looking to buy. Reminded me of some buildings in Hong Kong where there is no floor 4 as this is their unlucky number.

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I saw something saying that you can have them as 62 reg's instead.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if they extended 62 reg for the entire year then yeah people will be at ease.

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I actually paid £400 to have 13 on mine number plate:

c13fmc006.

I like it, it's a number that stands out.

8. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lol I like that ...

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looking to finally buy a bike soon but the 13 is putting me off even if the fact I have a personalised number plate it will always be a 13 irrespective what plate you have on it.

Do i wait till Sept 2013..

10. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

In Ireland as you guys know we have a different type reg system. For 2013 the system has changed slightly .. Instead of say 13-G-1234.. It is now denoted as 131-G-1234 if the car is bought/registered in the first 6 months and 132-G-#### if the car is registered in the last 6 months if the year.
    There are kind of 2 reasons for this apparently.
    1. Most dealerships sell all there cars in Jan and this tails off towards the end of the year. If a dealership has a bad jan then they ate pretty much screwed. By adding a second plate it is hoped that they will be a second influx in buying.
    2. The second reason is that We can be slightly superstitious . The fear was the 13 plate would mean people would perhaps wait until 2014.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah saw that new 131 plate on the Ireland Honda Facebook page and atleast you have an option for the superstitious customers.

DVLA here has not done anything yet..let see the figures in May 2013 that will tell us how many of us have shunned the 13 plate.

12. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    If someone would like to buy me a 13 registered CR-V ex I would happily accept it!
    Any offers?
    Lol
    Mike c

Ichiban likes this.
  13. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Reg wouldn't worry me. But I wouldn't buy a new car. Too much loss in depreciation. Too much electronics to go wrong. My '58 plate MINI is a good example of unnecessary electronics/ECUs :Whistle:

14. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No wait longer

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Saw a few 13 reg plates being rolled out of the showroom yesterday I cannot see 13 reg plate cars holding their future values no one in the right mind will buy a used car with 13 on it. It just me DVLA should have 63 reg plate through out the year.