Fuel Efficiency Wynns Diesel EGR Cleaner

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by totogbemi, Tuesday 9th Aug, 2016.

1. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Has anyone used this product before? What results did you get?
    My MPG is very low - 31mpg, even on an extended run to Scotland and back (I had to fill up three times as much as my BIL in a Sharan 2.0TDi) and having read threads on this forum, I am beginning to suspect my EGR could use some cleaning.
    I posted in an earlier thread about the challenges I am having with removing it from the engine as the guide shows. This cleaner seems to be suggested as a cheaper and easier alternative, but I would like some advise before I use it.
    Thanks.

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    None of these cleaners are a match to removing the components and cleaning them properly. I've no doubt they improve things slightly, but I have seen first hand the state of EGR's and intake manifolds after these cleaners. I'm yet to believe there hype!

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Problem I have is finding the right tools for the removal! The bolts are almost inaccessible to anyone with hands larger than a child's and I think I need a set of tools with the right extensions. Have you ever removed one, Beefy? If so what tools did you use?

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used the tunap EGR cleaner which I got from @Holdcroft Honda. Requires stripping the EGR off the car and letting the spray do its thing. Worked really well manually cleaning it off the car. Only way to do it in my opinion.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  6. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Great, I am definitely in safe hands! Problem is Holdcroft is too far away from me.
    Please someone tell me which tool set you used that enabled you to remove the bolts on the EGR system, especially the ones on the lower curved pipe. I will then make a valliant effort to get the cleaning done properly.
    Thanks

7. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Thanks, Nighthawk. Which tool set do you have/use to strip the EGR off the engine?

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Bones126 likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

I don't have a CR-V but I did a diy on my accord which has the same engine. I just used hand spanners and determination

Nels and Bones126 like this.
  10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Did mine on the FR-V, the guides are very good. Just a bit tight getting in but with patiance and removal of all required parts its an easy and worthwhile job :Niceone:

Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  11. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    The CR-V I-CDTI is a different animal! I posted the details of my latest attempt on the other thread.

Really determined to get it done now!
    - - - Updated - - -
    ...and the EGR spray is not teh best solution. It might create superficial improvements, but not to be taken as an efficient long-term solution.

12. Nighthawk Guest

Depends on the EGR cleaner. Worked very well on mine

13. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Wow. I stand corrected, then.
    Which type/brand did you use, out of interest?
    Maybe the amount of deposits will be a factor in the success of these cleaners? I just saw so much gunk in my cooling pipe that I wonder how effective a spray will be against what must be at the intake of the EGR.

14. Nighthawk Guest

15. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Right I get it; I think there is a difference between the two products, though.
    My reference was to the Wynns EGR cleaner that you had to spray into the air intake and it would clean the EGR by passing through he running engine. The Tunap product requires you to remove the EGR first.

16. Nighthawk Guest

Ahh right. To be fair it was more likely my fault for not reading the post properly. My apologies. Il stay quiet now :Laughing:

17. totogbemi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Toto London
    Please don't:Wink: - you might have a solution to my other thread:Wink:

Nighthawk likes this.