Aftermarket Kit Xcarlink Android

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by NottsBiker, Tuesday 31st May, 2016.

1. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Hi All

Fitted the old xcarlink unit I'd had since getting the car and now have music from my phone courtesy of the 3.5mm jack. Bolted to the top of my cubby hole under the single cd player and run the cable straight out the back. Can't see it unless you look. Also planning on deleting the cigarette lighter and replacing with a hardwired usb socket next.

Question however for the electrical experts - if I fit my Note 4 with a micro usb to iphone converter can I control my Android with the car like I could if I used an iPhone like it's intended?

Ben

2. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think the Xcarlink is IOS only.... Unless they massively changed it since I looked into one at the end of 2015. The grom audio kit will happily do either because that's what I ended up buying.

3. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Thanks I thought this would be the case

I'll stick with usb power for my phone and the jack for music / satnav output.

I'm going to delete the cigarette lighter and fit a permanent usb socket in its place for this.

4. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I bought one like this
    Only the top of mine is semi translucent with indicator lights. One socket is full power whilst the other is low power.

But because the grom kit provides me with power, and data over USB as well as Bluetooth, it's sat there not being used unless some one else in the car needs to charge anything up. I've also had my dashcam hardwired into the rear of the socket.

5. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    I bought a flush mount socket as I got fed up with the adaptor popping out and stopping charging my phone. Waiting for it to come round the world at mo. ..

Which model dash cam did you purchase?

6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I originally bought a Mini 806 but that failed 6 weeks after being installed... I now have a Next Base 512G which is a little bigger and sticks out to the side of the RVM more than the old one... But it's a far superior cam... but then it was also twice as expensive, although not for me. :Smile:

7. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Only the Gromaudio units are Android compatible, USB audio streaming, controls on the steering wheel and so on ... they have no competition on this area (plus are made in Silicon Valley by enthusiast audiophile people, not China ...)

8. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Bummer for me there then as I've got the xcarlink already and it does most of what I need without spending anymore pennies on summit new :Wink:

Spending money on getting my RX8 wheels coated next

9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Those RX8 wheels had a well know issue with corroding and peeling. So much so that a few people I knew got them replaced FOC by the dealer. They normally go around the centre caps.

10. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Unfortunately the previous owner started to sand them down for no particular reason otherwise they wouldn't need doing at all.

Going for anthracite over the original silver

11. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Knew a guy who did them in anthracite on a black MX6 and they looked gorgeous... Tempted to get some for my old MX6 but then I picked up a set of Works 17x8 & 17x9 wheels from a Supra and refurbished. Those were stunning wheels that would have set me back more than a grand new... I got them for £500 inc refubish costs. Went from 205/65/15 tyres to 235/45/17 ones. :Smile: Made the rears sit on it's haunches a little and made it look like a muscle car when I had the original 245 tyres on at the rear and 225's at the front.

12. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Sounds great!

Not sure if it's my imagination or not but my Tourer seems to be sitting lower at the back than the front with only my 3 collies on board. Wonder if the springs have gone weak :Frown:

13. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Update

Whilst I can now listen to music fine on my mobile it's knocked out the single cd player. Not a major issue but I'm wondering if this is correct?

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

IIRC, on the multidisc player, you just need to press the CD or Aux button on the head unit and it cycles between them

15. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Thought that would work but it does not

Looking for a double din sat nav head unit at mo instead

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's a shame, as it does work on some models.
    GLW the search.

17. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Thanks I am bidding on two right now

Will need a lower dash mount kit n trim as don't like the metra face plate for the stock position