General XCarLink Bluetooth Wireless Streaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bones126, Friday 19th Sep, 2014.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
  2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've just tried our discount code and it appears to have finally expired, if you're happy to wait a day or two I'll chat with @Ichiban and we'll try to get a new discount code instated :Smile:

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I didn't know we had a discount code! :Rant:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

We did indeed, for 10% off. I've contacted them about getting it reinstated :Thumbup:

Bones126 likes this.
  5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice one DD :Thumbup: Thanks.

6. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    I'd also like to know if they are any good as this is what I'd like santa to bring along with some braided hoses to replace my tired rubber ones.

7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

The of the best things I've bought, I use it with my nano on permant shuffle and iPhone to charge it.

8. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Cheers! Need to get some 'choons' as 6 radio station's are getting a bit dull and the Samsung S4 / Spotify will be much better alternative methinks.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

We have a new discount code issued, I'll PM you now @Bones126 :Smile:

Bones126 likes this.
  10. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Thanks but I'm broke at mo!

11. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks DD, much appreciated.

12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nighthawk and DeviateDefiant like this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Good to hear mate, look forward to reading more about it :Smile:

14. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I'll be following this with interest, been thinking about getting some kind of bluetooth kit installed for a while, I look forward to your review.

15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Arrived this morning :Grin: will attempt to fit this weekend all being well. Youngest's Birthday Sunday so trying my luck :gotcha:

Found a good thread on here how to get access to the radio and removing the dash, bought some plastic trim removal tools in case so all being well I'll let you know how it is very soon :Niceone:

Phil1978 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  16. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Just won a 2nd hand one on eBay so will use your guide when it arrives. £45 is OK as money tight but very bored listening to x6 radio stations.

Bones126 likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looking forward to the install and review bud.

18. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    All fitted and working and I have to say I'm impressed, still figuring a few things out with it but it works as it said on the tin.
    To use you choose CDC by pressing the CD/Aux button or by using the Mode change on the steering wheel.
    A very nice lady instructs you to connect your lap top or bluetooth device, same as any pairing really, it will automatically find the phone once you connect if you leave the bluetooth on. The nice lady will tell you that you are connected.
    You can play your tunes via bluetooth and stop, start and move to next track on album or play list by using the steering wheel control. You do have to change albums or playlists on the phone, or I havent figured how to yet.
    If you receive a call while listening to music you can answer by pressing the skip button on the steering wheel or dash, or the answer on your phone. it will kill the music while you answer the call and continue to play music once you hang up. You have to be in the CDC mode to answer calls, so if your listening to the radio you have to swap modes to answer.

Here's a bit of a report on how I achieved fitting it, images below (couldn't link them in at appropriate point :-( )

I first removed the dash to gain access to the stereo thanks to @colinbos and his well documented dash removal thread, I would say though you do not have to remove the cup holder though. I would follow his thread up to and including disconnecting the climate / air con controls. Link below for thread below.
    Aftermarket Kit - DIY dash removal to get at my Double DIN radio. • Honda Karma

I have to say though the stereo did not want to budge at the top of the dash board as easy as I thought, so I ended up removing the left dash facia using the trim removal kit which I would say is a must purchase to make the job easy. Once removed it allowed me to get my hand fully behind the stereo and push it out at the top, it is just clipped in, there are no bolts holding it in (well on mine anyway). pic x1 & x2
    x1. x2.

After it was it was removed I just needed to plug the Xcarlink in to the white multi plug socket at the rear of the stereo pic x3
    x3.

I then pushed it all back together and replaced the dash facia.

I then routed the car phone mic up the door frame by pulling the rubber trim away from the door frame, this gave access to behind the door pillar trim. I clipped the mic at the top of the piller pic x4
    x4.
    I routed the mic cable all the way under the dash, cable tieing it to existing wires to hold in place.

I decided to fit the control box in the glove box so I could have access to the USB and Aux port for other users without bluetooth, this conveniently had a cut away which allowed the cable to fit through making it a neat job. I did drill 2 holes in the corner though to allow me to cabletie the loose cable into place. pic x5
    x5.
    To make life easy, there are 2 stop buttons on the side of the glove box to govern the amount it opens, if you push these in you can fully drop the glove box down giving full access to behind allowing enough room to secure any loose cables. I used 3m double sided sticky tape to secure the box in place.

So all fitted and full access to control box if needed in glove box pic x6
    x6.

I hope this helps others and I would recommend fitting one rather than using the radio gadget thingies.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 1st Oct, 2014
    chris2982, Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  19. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

A very nice job, Im a big fan of xcarlink. :Niceone:

Bones126 likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Bones126 and Duc de Pommfrit like this.