ICE & HFT Xcarlink installation

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Sups1982, Monday 19th Aug, 2013.

1. Sups1982 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Can you please let me know if there is anyone in London NW8 who can install it for me. As a housewife, my DIY skills aren't great and my husband can never find the time.

Thanks,
    Supriya.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Supriya, look for an car audio place in your area, they should be able to fit the Xcarlink for you.

3. Sups1982 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks admin,

My local car audio people are charging GBP 129 for the Xcarlink interface and GBP 45 for installation. They say it should take around an hour.

Also my Accord has the Sat Nav and a 6 CD changer. Will he have to remove the 6 CD changer in order to install Xcarlink. If no, then it is fine. If yes, then do you know if there is any resell value on this and if it will look ugly without the 6 CD changer?

Thanks in advance,
    Supriya

- - - Updated - - -

I am looking to buy the Xcarlink interface with IpoD, USB and SD card functionality. Is there one unit which has all and is compatible with the Honda 2004 accord.

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello mate, no the cd changer doesn't have to be removed. The Xcarlink is tiny and is hidden behind dash.
    I don't think you can buy an Xcarlink with iPod and ad card all in one.
    Only one or the other.

Look here.
    http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=3

5. Sups1982 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Rob,

Apparently my car audio fitter confirmed with them and they said there is such an interface but I can't call them to confirm the same as I can't find any number so I have left a query. Also, I saw a 15% discount floating around for purchasing XCarlink products. Who can provide me with one?

Thanks,
    Supriya

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you again. I checked your link and the 3rd option looks like what I need. Will it be compatible with the 2004 Accord. It says compatible with all models from 97 onwards.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If you were anywhere closer I'd offer to do it for you, it seriously is simple mate. You've just got to prop up the gear lever cover, remove a few screws to get the ashtray out, carefully pry away the top of the stereo, some more screws, and you're right there.

7. Sups1982 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wish you were anywhere close too. Hate to give out £45 just like that. Anyways, I've got 2 more questions - with XCarlink is it possible to control the volume and music with the steering wheel controls. Basically it should be easy to change a song while driving! I don't want to be looking at the iPod every now and then. Also is there any other interface which allows the playlists or songs to pop up on my Sat nav screen so that I can control my music from the Sat Nav Panel if not steering wheel.

A different question here but is there any way I can also update the maps and routes on my ancient Sat Nav . They're almost obsolete from 10 years ago.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You can control the volume and tracks using the steering wheel controls, I use an Eonon unit and not XCarLink myself but I believe the basic functionality is exactly the same. There is unfortunately no interaction with the Sat Nav screen (other than same adjustments possible at the moment with radio/CD, treble/bass, speaker bias etc.).

As for the Sat Nav, you just need an up-to-date disc. If your Accord is pre-facelift you need a v2 disc (haven't been made in a few years but you can still get within about 5 years of current) which is for non-voice activated, if you have a facelift (2006 or later) you can use a v3 disc which are still being updated with the latest maps. You can either get one from a dealer (expensive), the Navteq store (cheaper) otherwise your options are either to look around on eBay, or try find a disc image yourself and burn it but the law isn't on your side with that.

9. Sups1982 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks a lot for all the information. I will also confirm the steering wheel control with the audio fitter as he is the one who will be installing it and not you. Haha.

As for Sat Nav, I have a 2004 Accord so will that be pre-facelift and will that mean that the maps wouldn't have been updated in the last 5 years? Isn't that leaving us owners high and dry!

- - - Updated - - -

All that I now need is the 15% discount code floating around to buy the XCarlink. Do you know who may be able to provide it? I saw IchibanHonda (user) offering it to other owners.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I was just giving my opinion mate, as I say my unit works fine with the steering wheel controls. Yes that means the maps haven't been updated since 2007-2008 (I believe), I'm in the exact same boat as you - except my drive doesn't work at the moment and I need to get it refurbished.

IchibanAccord is the owner/founder of the club, the discount code is through one of the club affiliates. Just message him and I'm sure he'll pass you on the details.

11. Sups1982 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What I meant was I hope it was you installing the interface and I could be assured for the steering wheel control. Anyways, thanks a lot. You have been so helpful. I am just thinking if it will be any use to even upgrade to 2007-2008 as I use google maps on my phone half the time.

12. Cambie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got a new original honda V2 disc this week from a friend in Edinburgh.....its the 11/12 version. So still being made.

He has a shop that does lots of repairs to the Satnav/CD changer, particularly my one from 2004 (premium sound system). He advertises on EBAY and has guys shipping from all over europe.

For those with issues his shop is

Sound & Vision Technical Services - Leith - Edinburgh

13. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Just out of curiosity, is it available for download anywhere?
    I ask not to simply download and use illegally but my sat nav constantly says 'disk read error' but after 30mins of driving or so reinserting the dvd works again and continues to until engine gets cold (really odd i know...)
    So basically I don't want to spend money on a disk that won't work if it's the DVD drive that's not working!

And on that note, if it's due to the drive and not the disk, does anybody know if it's a simple case of swapping out the drive and that will work?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys can I remind members illegal copies downloads of the sat nav disc and it discussion is not allowed on here. On ebay unless they are genuine DVD do not insert links.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thank you for that, useful information. Can I ask how much you paid for a genuine disk?

16. nduli Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

having installed my old one repeatably every week for months (it was broken) its a job that is circa an hour if you don't do it regularly. Head unit comes out no need to remove 6 cd shuffled. £45 a reasonable price I'd say but then again I know all the hassle I had had.

17. Cambie Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am pretty lucky..... Free!!

He had it laying in his shop, I was seeing him about installing an xcarlink and he asked what year I had. I told him it was the original 2004 disc and he just said I've a newer one you can have. wouldn't take any cash for it.

I've mentioned his shop on here a couple of times. Ideal for repairs to the Alpine head unit. A really sound guy.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  18. Bigngroovy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, could you tell me more about the controls and display on the eonon or xcarlink ipod adapters please? Do you lose the use of the internal 6 disc changer? Do you see the track information on the navigation screen? Does the ipod resume the current track when you start the car, or does it reset to the first track? How easy is it to find the track that you want using the steering wheel controls. Thanks for your help, I'm just interested to find out everything I can before I commit to buy any product. Cheers.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yes, as it functions as a virtual version of the disk changer and is accessed by using the same CDDC button.

Not on the navigation screen, but the small LCD above will display something to the effect of: CDDC Disk ## / Track ##. Unfortunately no artist or title information. Again, a limit of virtualising a CD disk changer.

I don't use an iPod or the xcarlink. However with the Eonon unit and playing from a MicroSD card, it resume the previous track but from the start.

Honestly, a bugger. As the virtual disk changer has as limit of 100 tracks per disc, you can only go one forward or one back at a time, alternatively you can jump to the first track again using the disk change button. If I'm on track 30, and want to go to 70, it's literally 40 clicks. Of course, you can add less tracks to a virtual disk.

20. Bigngroovy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, could you tell me more about the controls and display on the eonon or xcarlink ipod adapters please? Do you lose the use of the internal 6 disc changer? Do you see the track information on the navigation screen? Does the ipod resume the current track when you start the car, or does it reset to the first track? How easy is it to find the track that you want using the steering wheel controls. Thanks for your help, I'm just interested to find out everything I can before I commit to buy any product. Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info, sounds like it's flawed in most of the areas. Does anybody know of any system that does a better job of controlling an ipod or sd card without losing cd player, and whilst displaying track info? Thanks.