Guides Xcarlink ipod Adaptor Install

Accord 03-08

1. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 8th Mar, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Superbly done there bud, I liked the fact you have taken the right tool to pry open the trims and used masking tapes to protect the centre console.

Excellent DIY/How to you done yourself proud , and thanks for doing this for the forum. All the newer generation Accord will have factory fitted adapters now, this will be the last every xcarlink installed in Accord.

3. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks! As I'm planning on keeping this car for a while it's worth doing the install. But it will be good not to have to do it on the newer generations. Does the 8th Generation have an aux input?

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant,nicely done

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes bud the 8th Generation got port in the middle arm rest and the 9th Generation will have the bluetooth wireless intergation with iMID system which will be seen on the 9th Generation Civic.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Excellent job and fantastic write up. Exactly how I did mine! Very comprehensive.

7. raperxx New Member Getting Started

Really great job. Well done. And many thanks for help.

8. Rob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finally got my xcarlink (discounted!! Cheers CJ) and fitted it following these instructions to the letter.

Really useful so thanks eternal442 for your effort in putting this on here for the likes of me.

I did have a bit of a problem getting the head unit out though, I'd nearly pulled the face off the damn thing before I realised that there are two bolts underneath the head unit that needed removing too :Foolish:. Still.....its in now and I'm really pleased with it.

Cheers again.

9. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quick thanks for doing up this DIY. Its was a great help. Did mine this morning. Found the DVD surround quite difficult to remove but the came off with a little persistance.Good catch also above about the two 8mm socket screws below the head unit.. I ran the box into the cubbie hole but i am planning on hiding away later as i have got some bulkhead type connections coming for the USB/3.5mm and separately an external extension for the SD card option. can't seem to find a bulk head type connection for the iphone connection. though.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@eternal422, and fellow Midlanders, produce very useful guides ! :Whistle:

11. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Haha - those two bolts nearly caught be out too
    Did mine a couple weeks ago and runs well :Smile:

Only disappointment is that the whole system doesn't show music text which makes it alittle difficult navigating through albums on the ipod

12. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah thats true but seems it does work quite well and nice been able to play off multiple sources. Where did you locate the unit itself.Thinking when i get the other bits that im going to relocate below the front of the shifter on the right hand wall and integrate the sockets into the cubbie hole.
    Also Seems to only count tracks 1-99 and then resets back to 1. Maybe im better foldering up to 99 only?

13. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I located the unit here with small amount of double sided to keep secured. Then ran the pod cable though to the glove box,
    Yeah it does open up more options which is nice.

IMAG1192_zps34239fa6.

14. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah that makes sense. I was nearly thinking of installing somehow in the ash tray area as it is redundant for me anyway. Maybe milling out a slot in it to recess into it...

15. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got the connection as attached for the USB and 3.5mm Aux line -Seems to work fine and is alot neater... re-Poistioned the box as per @Accord_N22 and installed the connection into the centre console storgae area. Left the Iphone connection routed out of the cubbie hole for until i can find an integrated connection.

IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1590.JPG

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice. That is a neat install for the USB and aux line. Looks as though it should be there :Smile:
    Maybe route the iphone connection so it pops out of the centre arm rest top tray and have the iphone laying there perhaps?

mcgowanp likes this.
  17. benniferj Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom benniferj Basingstoke
    Thanks guys! I just installed this myself. Im usually totally useless at doing this kind of thing! It all went smoothly apart from trying to get the front fascia off.. the large front section below the nav unit. Eventually I wriggled it out but it was pretty tough to get the clips to undo...

Thanks for the guide. Works really well!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  18. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Miles Romsey
    Just done this for my accord. The Guide was invaluable. Two areas which I came a little stuck on. When removing the gear stick trim for a manual gear box you take it from the outside as you don't have a smooth surface as you do for the auto. Removing the trim below the Nav unit was VERY hard. In the end I stuck a trim removal tool in between the nav unit and the trim and then pulled and that seemed todo the trick. Masking tape is invaluable that dvdrom is very sharp. I also had 2 8mm nuts on the bottom of the nav unit that I needed to remove before I could pull it out.

I installed the xlink in the vent area (where my broken sat nav sits) and then starting from the central mirror I put the microphone clipped to the central mirror and then fed it around the drivers side screen all the way round to the vents and cross fingers its not crimping the microphone wire to much,

In terms of time this took me a couple of hours but that trim had me almost giving up - it is very strong. Other tip I would give (which is possibly obvious) After you have taken the gear trim out their is a deep space where you can lose screws and bolts so I placed paper in it to stop any bolts getting lost in it.

A trim removal kit is essential I got this one
    I would not recommend doing this without this (and I have taken off the vents before without a trim removal kit!)

19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@tals great to know you've got the job done. :GoodJob:
    The metal part of the clips on the trim gets a degree of surface corrosion, making then quite rough and therefore more difficult to remove. I greased mine up before they went back. Your trim removal kit is very similar to mine, and yes, essential.

tals likes this.
  20. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi to all where can i buy a X car link ,did read on here you can get it discounted if your a member.
    Will this still work as i have removed the blue tooth adapter ,trying to find one second hand so if anyone hears of one let me know.
    Thanks Dave.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also does this only work with iphones ,as i have a samsung S4 at the moment.