General xcarlink not charging iphone4 after iphone4s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eternal422, Saturday 19th May, 2012.

1. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just plugged an iPhone 4s into my xcarlink and it charged ok. Then swapped back to my iphone4 which now no longer charges! Tried another iPhone 4 and that doesn't charge either. Switched back to the 4s and that still charges ! Music still goes through the xcarlink ok from the phones.

Has anyone experienced this at all? I've asked xcarlink support but wondered whether anyone else has experienced this and knows a fix?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    what version of iOS is running on your 4s and 4 see if there is a difference ?, that latest update is 5.1.1 IIRC

3. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Both iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s are on the same version of ios (5.1.1)

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bizarre indeed the charging on normal power adapters does not differentiate the models. You want to get intouch with Xcarlink and see if they are aware of this.

5. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, pretty weird! I guess there must be some software involved in determining what pins to put the 5v out on? Although I would have thought the 4 and 4s would be the same.

I suppose that most people wouldn't plug in an older phone once they've upgraded. If the worst comes to the worst I'll have to wait until this November when I can upgrade.

I'll wait and see what xcarlink say, but tempted to perhaps unplug it and put it back on - I'm guessing it remains powered up from the head unit? The only pain is having to remove the dash again:Frown:

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm running 5.1.1 on my 4 and it charges fine. I'll be amazed if it's a software issue.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well that settles that then.. does your 4 charge with its normal charger?

8. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes the 4 charges with the apple iPhone charger

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Stumped to why this is happening fella.. truly am?

10. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The only thing I can think of is that the xcarlink somehow differentiates between the 4 and the 4s and now refuses to charge the 4. I've tried two different 4 phones and neither charges. However the 4s phone still charges ok on the xcarlink!

I've also rebooted one of the 4 phones but still no luck.

11. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The story gets weirder! I was going to pull the power on the radio tonight to see if that would reset the xcarlink. Before doing this I thought I'd try my iPhone 4 again. Would you believe it - it now charges ok!! Tried several times plugging and unplugging and it still works.

Think I'll just forget all about it. As long as the audio still works even if the charging stops again I'll manage without it.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Did you reboot your phone between this wired scenario ? It some sort object lock on your device which has magically cured. Reboot is after all the mother of all cures.:Wink:

13. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No reboot before it started working again. Also, plugging the phone in tonight it now doesn't charge again. The phone still charges when plugged into a normal mains charger.

As the audio and controls still work I am assuming the xcarlink is getting power from the head unit, it's just that it isn't putting power out to the iPod connector, although I can't see why.

I suppose it may be worth checking the dock connector plug into the xcarlink and also maybe killing the power to the xcarlink just in case the charging power output is software controlled.

Very frustrating!

14. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Only thing I could possibly suggest is make sure all the connections are clean so your getting good contacts.

15. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think it's your xcarlink, more like your phone. The xcarlink isn't a very complicated device. It wouldn't know what you've plugged into it, so it can't differentiate between them.

16. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, took part of the dash apart to get to the xcarlink and replugged the dock lead, still doesn't charge.

Tried cleaning the connectors - all good. The phone charges absolutely fine first time when connecting to a mains charger. Also my wife's iPhone doesn't charge on the xcarlink, so I'm thinking I can eliminate the phones.

Rob -- I agree, the xcarlink can't know what's plugged in, so maybe I've just got a dodgy lead/connector that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I think I'm going to have to live with it. At least the phone keeps its charge for ages when just using if to play music, so it's not really a problem.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its really a wired scenario, there has to be a intermittent fault within xcarlink or the lead? I reckon this will just start working one day with no issues.

I tend to put niggles like at the back of head and wait to see what happens and majority of the times you live it or it fixes itself out.