ICE & HFT Xcarlink Video Interface

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Mikeyspell, Friday 16th Jan, 2015.

1. Mikeyspell Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Speller80 Nottingham
    Hi has anyone installed a x car link video interface? So that you can watch tv/DVD player on your factory sat nav unit.was it an easy job? Does it work as good as they say? What's your opinion?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't recall anyone done this mod mate, why don't you take the plunge and let us know. Sound like a win win .:BooYeah:

Unless someone find a thread who has done this..:Whistle:

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I'm looking at this as my next purchase, it will enable rear view camera.

4. Mikeyspell Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Speller80 Nottingham
    I should be ordering 1 within the next week or so.will keep you updated on fitting think I'm just going to have digital tv do like the sound of rear view aswell though

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Mikeyspell is your car a pre-facelift or facelift ?

PS if you add your car to the Club Garage we can all see the details at he bottom of your posts, it helps us to help you.

6. Mikeyspell Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Speller80 Nottingham
    It's a 56 plate so facelift model. I'll add it to the club garage thanks

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ga73 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Liverpool
    Hi, just joined after buying my 04 cdti executive on Monday! I've also bought this and will be fitting it this weekend, pics hopefully taken as I go along.. Surprised though with the price of it there's no manual at all!!

8. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    I'm pretty sure you need a facelift DVD drive in order to use these.

9. Ga73 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi JTG,
    This isn't something I've heard before, why is it you think this, all the unit does is switch the signal from the nav with the signal from an external source, I'll be using a small media player as the source... Would be interested to know where you've heard I need the facelift dvd drive though as it isn't used at all for display purposes.
    Cheers
    Gary

10. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    I understand there is a video out port on the back of the facelift drives that isn't there on the back of the pre facelift drives. It's this port that these devices use. I would love to be wrong as I'd like to do this myself without the cost of of acquiring a facelift DVD drive.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just to clear-up some of the confusion, the Facelift drive has an unutilised reversing camera port on the back. Honda built in the functionality to accept one, however never added it as an option. You can wire in a camera fairly easily and it'll automatically come on screen when going into reverse - it's been done many times before, I actually have all the gear here to do it to mine and just haven't got around to it.

@JTG the Facelift drive does not work in a Pre-Facelift, I did a teardown and comparison here.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread here way back where someone did install one of the xcarlink video interfaces, however I'm not finding it right now. Basically it intercept the Sat Nav video signal with a basic splitter cable and provides a switch to go between the two sources as @Ga73 suggests, I do not believe there's any dependency to have a Facelift model.

If anyone does go ahead, we have a club 10% xcarlink discount code, PM any of the staff to get it :Thumbup:

JTG likes this.
  12. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Makes sense. Looks like I'm adding a new Xcarlink to my list of requirements then.

13. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Can I ask what media player, or what sort of media player you are intending on using and where you plan to mount it?

14. Ga73 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I'll be doing it this weekend so we'll know one way or the other

The media player is a small multi format one, about £20 on ebay that takes an external USB hard drive, as they don't use much power they work fine with a cigarette adapter but this will be hardwired so everything hidden away.. Worked great on my previous car.. Will post pics as I'm doing it so everything will hopefully become clear.

Oh and just to clear up, the unit from xcarlink has a phono connection for reverse camera on it so I believe it will fit pre facelift no problem

15. Ga73 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Deviate,
    Tried to pm but don't seem to be able to maybe as I'm a new member but would really appreciate the discount code as also like to buy the usb music player xcarlink sell.

Many thanks
    Gary

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  17. Ga73 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay that's fair enough, I guess the good folk at xcarlink will have to wait a while longer before they get anymore custom from me then :Smile:
    Cheers
    Gary

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.