Electrical & Lights Xenon bulb replacement

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by JTG, Saturday 3rd Jan, 2015.

1. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Quick question....

I installed some LEG fog lights recently, but they're whiter than my factory option xenons.

Somehow I've never actually had xenons before, is it possible to simply buy some 'whiter' HID bulbs for the factory xenons?
    - - - Updated - - -
    LED* obviously.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    HID bulbs need a ballast to step up the voltage. You cannot just slap in HID bulbs in place of xenons. If you want HID bulbs, you will have to buy the entire kit. You can buy some H11 xenon bulbs of 5000k which I believe is what factory xenons temperature are.

For example

Xenon:

HID:

I would replace your sidelights as well as your rear number plate lights too. (501 bulbs). Check out my car to see what I mean.

3. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Perhaps I've got my wires crossed slightly, I thought xenon headlights and HID headlights were the same thing.

I have factory fitted HID's, or as the handbook calls them, "high voltage discharge" headlights.

Basically I was wondering if all the bulbs are the same for these or if I would be able to just straight swap them for some whiter (6000k) ones?

The rest of the car is already fully LED converted, apart from the sidelights which are going in tomorrow :Smile:

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Ahh right, yes, I believe you can as long as the voltage of the bulb doesnt exceed that of the ballasts. Not sure what the voltage of the factory HIDs are.

My understanding is that you can buy xenon filled halogen style bulbs, and HID filled xenon bulbs hence my original answer and confusion. If I am wrong however, I am happy to be corrected :Grin:

5. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Ah ok, handbook States standard 12v, but 35w bulbs rather than 55w in non HID cars. Doesn't state what type of bulb it is though so I'll have to pop it out and take a look. Unless anybody else has the factory xenons and knows what type of bulb they use?

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    2.4 exec is 35W HID bulbs I'm sure. They should be pretty white already unless someone previously has changed them? But yes, you should be able to just pop any 35W HID bulbs in them. I can't remember the stock temperature but I don't think they are as cold as 6000k.

7. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Yes definitely 35w. They are fairly white, just not as white as my 6000k LED fog lights so I'm looking to get 6000k HID bulbs to hopefully match (mismatched lights bug the hell out of me)! Do you know if the bulbs are H1 fitment though?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You car does not have HIDs\Xenon if you read carefully its say only selected models. 2003 Ex had HIDs 2004 didn't bud you have H1 halogens.

9. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    I can assure you it does :Thumbup:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What type of bulb does it have Type and connector?

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I thought all the 2.4 execs had them? When you turn them on from cold if you know what I mean do they flash and then does the light intensity increase to full brightness?

12. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Yep, that's the giveaway. 99% sure not all 2.4 Execs had them though, think it was an option.
    - - - Updated - - -
    That's what I want to know. I assume they're H1 HID's but need to pop one out and have a look. Hopefully will get a chance on Monday.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They will be halogen mate. D2S are HIDs

14. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    They're auto levelling (I can't adjust them myself), I have headlight washers and most importantly, when I turn them on, they're very clearly xenons. I don't really know what more to say. I'll take a bulb out soon anyway to check fitment as I need 6000k bulbs.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye D2S if they are HID.

I've used Auto Bulbs Direct before and also HIDS4U. Both gave good service, the latter were the first ones I could find that did HID upgrade kits for reflector head lamps that wouldn't dazzle other drivers. I installed it in my 6th Generation.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So are halogen equipped cars auto levelling are on normal care which your accord is. You will soon realise bud when you remove the low beam halogen.

17. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    D2S, cheers guys!

I'm confident enough to go ahead and order some without checking, I'll let you all know if I end up with egg on my face :gotcha:

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    53 reg will have them, but the car in signature says 04?