Electrical & Lights Xenon HID flicker ... both of them. Could this be a dying battery?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by kentlegend, Tuesday 12th Apr, 2016.

1. kentlegend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Vasilis Kent
    Hello guys,

I have had the car now a few weeks, and I noticed since I have changed the side light bulb on the passenger side (which involved battery removal) I now have the flicker on both headlights dipped beam. My driver side light the other night had gonne all together as if the light bulb got burned. But after switching off the car for about 30 minutes when I went to drive again it was on like nothing has happened.

I have noticed that the battery can be a bit slow to start the car some days. Could this be cause from a dying battery?

I have taken the battery connectors off and cleaned them to make sure there is nothing there causing contact issues. Also cleaned up the terminals they looked in a poor state. But it still has the flickers.

I would not think that both the light bulbs are failing or both the ballasts? or could they?

Cheers
    Vasilis.
    - - - Updated - - -
    ***I have changed the sidelight bulb the second day I had got the car, therefore I cannot remember if it was doing it the night before. Also the battery cover was in the boot when I got the car, which seemed that they had to jump start the car not long before I bought it. I haven't changed the battery yet. Seems quiet small for the size of the car. Anyone has an idea what type and size should be installed?

2. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Can you measure the voltage of the battery when the engine is not running, should be over 12volts, 12,4 to 12,7 would be good. If its under that then the battery might be at the end of its life.
    I have experienced (since i bought my legend) that flickering thing twice, first time it was only the right side (changed also the battery because it was old and i just bought the car) it flickered for a while and then went completely dead.
    Second time was just while ago, both started to flicker and went randomly dead, changed again both bulbs and again problem solved. I was checking out new ballasts thou. If needed you don't want to buy OEM (quite expensive at least here)

kentlegend likes this.
  3. kentlegend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have bought a new battery.
    The old one was reading 12.2 to 12.3V ... and it was reading as being good on the test machine at Halfords. But ... it was way too small for the car see pictures. I was not that happy with it on the car and all those electronics.
    So I bought a "proper" one and installed it.
    Have to wait for the night now and check the lights.

IMG_20160413_120545. IMG_20160413_120554. IMG_20160413_120558.

legend-ary likes this.
  4. kentlegend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just gone for a drive. And no light flickering. Everything worked perfect. :Smile:
    Just realised that cars with no LKAS they have no electric power steering. So it is less power drain on the battery.
    I am now certain the battery was not right for the car. As when I had the LKAS and ACC on the flicker was more obvious. And also when I hit any pot holes, I would have flickering too, realising the battery even though tight in place, it would still move?...
    Anyhow with the new battery in place. Everything is working perfect, I driven for about 15miles. It might be my idea... but even the gearbox feels smoother and more willing to shift in a snappier manner.

Maintenanceman likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes I think that is a placebo effect :Smile:

kentlegend likes this.
  6. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The tranny uses 'fuzzy logic' so if you fully disconnected the battery, it may be re-learning your driving style. So you may not be going mad.
    Also, less alternator drag might make the car seem slightly more responsive.
    BTW - dying batteries can make these things have really weird symptoms. Sudden SH-AWD failure being perhaps the weirdest.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oh yeah I forgot about the fuzzy logic in gearbox.

8. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

BTW, I think it really should be an 80Ah battery:

1 31500SJAX03 BATTERY (80D26R-MF) (FURUKAWA) £78.75 (€94.50) ($110.25) 1

My 'Lude also had one of those, because of the 4WS motor.

kentlegend likes this.
  9. kentlegend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

80Ah was not an option :Frown: ... in the catalogues. I had no idea what the car came with out of the factory?... does anyone know?

10. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, I think mine might have been 70Ah too. But I just bolted it on anyway. I'd not worry...