Engine & Gearbox You learn something new every day about dipsticks

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by davemazo, Tuesday 9th Apr, 2013.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Like an idiot I forgot to put the oil filler cap back on after topping up. I drove 10 miles to see a mate and when I was leaving he was waving like mad for me to stop, so I stop and get out and theres a large puddle of oil on his block paving. Straight away I realised what I`d done. I couldn`t apologise enough but he wasn`t bothered.

Anyway I dipped the oil and there wasn`t even a stain on the dipstick so off I go to the nearest Honda dealer with my mate and bought 6 litres of 0w-30. After sticking 3 litres in I checked the dipstick and you`ve guessed it, I was well over the maximum so I then had to drain some out.

So, if the dipstick shows empty, its not, there must have been at least 4 litres of oil left in the sump, probably a lot more.

So me being a bit anal and not liking the fact that I`d mixed Exol with Castrol (they both look totally different) I drained the lot and had to go and buy 3 more litres of Castrol and a new oil filter while I was there. An expensive mistake :Angry:

Just off to but some Gunk driveway cleaner

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oh dear ! Easily done though.

Did it make much of a mess in the engine bay ?

Any pics ?

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I did this too a few weeks back, and the cap went completely AWOL, you'd actually be shocked at how little oil you lose overall. I've got a replacement cap from a Nissan on at the moment (Halfords and others don't seem to cater to us) but should be replacing with a Mugen cap shortly.

The main dealer wanted £22.99 for a brand new OEM.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That w a close shave matey ..

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That was close shave matey ..

6. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was lucky, the cap was where I left it, on top of the suspension turret thingy.

Yes plenty of oil in the engine bay but got most of it off with some Gunk engine degreaser, plenty of rags and a bit of elbow grease

- - - Updated - - -

I know CJ, but it doesn't seem to have done any harm. No strange noises coming from the engine

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have a habit before closing the bonnet checking the brake master cylinder reservoir cap , clutch master cylinder reservoir cap , power steering fluid cap, washer fluid cap. engine oil dipstick , engine oil cap and battery terminals.

make it part of your routine to check them and you will never encounter this .. even if you are distracted by someone whilst doing these checks.

IF you haven't done it then you should not drop the bonnet.:Smile:

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I do exactly the same, but I thought it was OCD.

9. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought I had OCD as well, obviously not so. Ah well you learn from your mistakes and from now on I'll be adopting your regime CJ until age and failing memory becomes a problem that is